Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning to work as Science Teacher. HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Planning to work as Science Teacher. HELP!!

    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Hi everyone![/FONT][/COLOR]

    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Trebuchet MS]I am currently in the process of applying for a science teaching post at Tri Tunggal Christian School (SMA Kristen Tri Tunggal) at Semarang, Java. For the next interview they expect me to have a rough estimate of my expected salary but after some searching online, I still don't have any idea. Can someone give me an idea. What is the minimum salary I should expect? Plus benefits like housing or health insurance. And anyone from around the area, I'd love to hear tidbits about the place. [/FONT][/COLOR]

    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Thank you![/FONT][/COLOR]

  • #2
    Gee, that's tricky. In Jakarta a qualified and experienced teacher might expect somewhere between 20,000,000-30,000,000 per month + housing, medical, flights and shipping. But Semarang is a lot smaller and, presumably less wealthy. But as far as I know you wont lose a job for having high expectations, it just gives them a chance to negotiate your salary.
    Last edited by jimmi james; 21-11-13, 04:04.

    Comment


    • #3
      Gee, that's tricky. In Jakarta a qualified and experienced teacher might expect somewhere between 20,000,000-30,000,000 per month + housing, medical, flights and shipping. But Semarang is a lot smaller and, presumably less wealthy. But as far as I know you wont lose a job for having high expectations, it just gives them a chance to negotiate your salary.

      Comment


      • #4
        Jimmi I would say the salary expectation of a qualified teacher in Jakarta would be high 20's to 30's upwards. I don't know many home qualified teachers who would accept a job in Jakarta for 20 million rp. Though I do agree that kind of money is unlikely in Semarang. Although it might be possible at the Semarang International School but unlikely at a national plus.

        Cassie it would depend on your qualifications as to how much negotiating power you have. If you are a home qualified science teacher you'll be able to negotiate a much higher salary than if you just have a degree in science and a tefl for example. My advice would be go in high as they can negotiate down but you can't negotiate up.
        The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

        Comment


        • #5
          dear Cassie,
          tri tunggal is not considered as the high end school ( my niece and nephew go to that school , tho they are still in elementary and preschool) , it's a good one but not the most expensive one. not like pelita harapan in jakarta.
          perhaps, if i may give some advise , try to count your monthly need ( in average way... so no buying laptop and iphone every month ) like household, meals,cosmetics . then after that plus that with 30 - 50% of the total amount ( i call it emergency money) , call that as basic need.
          then you count your yearly need, say like travelling expense or any other predicted expenses, divided into 12 then add it to the basic need. then it become the final salary you can propose.

          that is if housing and gas are charged to the school.

          then, when you are dealing with them, ask them to reveal their number first. see how much different is it from your number. if it's only like 10- 15% difference i can think you can ask for it.
          if they give you much higher than what you expect, you can ask 10 percent higher.. ( just dont expect them to be happy tho)
          if they give you much lower , then you can start counting what you can delete from your monthly shoping list
          dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

          Comment


          • #6
            i have been asked to do this by several prospective employers in the past. i prefer to toss the ball back in their court by saying something along the lines of.......... Well it would depend on the total package, such as insurance, flights, housing, bonuses, etc. It would be much easier for me if you told me the benefits package and a range that you have budgeted for.

            i have had good success doing this. Honestly, they have already budgeted the money, they are just trying to see if they can get you cheaper. good luck and let us know how it goes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
              dear Cassie,
              tri tunggal is not considered as the high end school ( my niece and nephew go to that school , tho they are still in elementary and preschool) , it's a good one but not the most expensive one. not like pelita harapan in jakarta.
              perhaps, if i may give some advise , try to count your monthly need ( in average way... so no buying laptop and iphone every month ) like household, meals,cosmetics . then after that plus that with 30 - 50% of the total amount ( i call it emergency money) , call that as basic need.
              then you count your yearly need, say like travelling expense or any other predicted expenses, divided into 12 then add it to the basic need. then it become the final salary you can propose.

              that is if housing and gas are charged to the school.

              then, when you are dealing with them, ask them to reveal their number first. see how much different is it from your number. if it's only like 10- 15% difference i can think you can ask for it.
              if they give you much higher than what you expect, you can ask 10 percent higher.. ( just dont expect them to be happy tho)
              if they give you much lower , then you can start counting what you can delete from your monthly shoping list
              Wow! Thanks for the tip. I'll do some computations in a bit.
              Also, I'm applying for an immersion class rather than the regular ones. I guess that also matters when I'm doing my calculations. Right?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by travelNteach View Post
                i have been asked to do this by several prospective employers in the past. i prefer to toss the ball back in their court by saying something along the lines of.......... Well it would depend on the total package, such as insurance, flights, housing, bonuses, etc. It would be much easier for me if you told me the benefits package and a range that you have budgeted for.

                i have had good success doing this. Honestly, they have already budgeted the money, they are just trying to see if they can get you cheaper. good luck and let us know how it goes.
                Throwing the ball back in their court. Oh yes, that's a good one!

                Thank you! I also hope it goes well. I'm thrilled to work in Indonesia.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by travellingchez View Post
                  Jimmi I would say the salary expectation of a qualified teacher in Jakarta would be high 20's to 30's upwards. I don't know many home qualified teachers who would accept a job in Jakarta for 20 million rp. Though I do agree that kind of money is unlikely in Semarang. Although it might be possible at the Semarang International School but unlikely at a national plus.

                  Cassie it would depend on your qualifications as to how much negotiating power you have. If you are a home qualified science teacher you'll be able to negotiate a much higher salary than if you just have a degree in science and a tefl for example. My advice would be go in high as they can negotiate down but you can't negotiate up.
                  Fair enough, I'm happy to be corrected. I do know of a fellow that was offered 22 mill by highscope, but that was a few years ago and he was not science.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X