Clueless about salary! Help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless about salary! Help please!

I am looking into jobs in Indonesia--teaching English, teaching in an International School, or both. I have a Bachelors in Education, teaching certificate, and TEFL certificate.
    Currently I make about 42000 (which includes health insurance). What do I need to make in Indonesia to have the same standard of living? I have had interest from a few schools in Jakarta, if that makes a difference.

When you say teaching English if you mean ESL then your salary won't come close at a language school. You'll be better off at an international school teaching English language and literature.

You also don't say where you're living or what currency you are quoting in as cost of living country to country will make a difference.

If it's in American dollars most good local 'international' schools offer around $40,000 upwards plus housing, health insurance and flights etc. The true international schools like BIS and JIS offer higher starting salaries and better benefits. Although you'll need more experience to get into either of those.
    The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

42k dollars? Pounds? Yen? Assuming it was dollars for the same standard of living (which was your question), $24k per annum I should think, living in Jakarta. You could maybe drop that by 25% if you were willing to work in another city.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandong View Post
        42k dollars? Pounds? Yen? Assuming it was dollars for the same standard of living (which was your question), $24k per annum I should think, living in Jakarta. You could maybe drop that by 25% if you were willing to work in another city.
        Depending to what is the meaning of same standard of living it can range from half to double.
        All depend of how much you are ready to challenge your definition of basic standard of life compare to the Indonesian definition.

Many "same" thing will cost twice in Indo compare to western country.
        Many "other" thing will cost half.

It's all a matter of life standard choice.
        La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Sorry--I thought my location was visible. I make 42K american dollars, live in the USA-East Coast--I live fairly simply--most of my salary goes towards rent and utilities (about 900 per month) but I am currently renting a two bedroom house and would plan to downsize if I end up in Indonesia. I only "need" enough money to live on (rent, food, utilities, etc) plus $250 american dollars per month for student loans. I know I'm not going to get rich (I'm a teacher--I figured that out pretty quickly), but I'd like to make sure I wouldn't have to scrimp on anything to get by.

Comment

In which case you'll be much better off here. Accommodation is normally included as part of the package. Some schools also include utilities too but not all. So the salary is all yours. You'll be able to save much more here with hols as well.

If you want to know about different schools that are interested in you post on here to get the low down on them. There are lots of good schools but also some you might want to avoid.
            The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanfi12 View Post
              Sorry--I thought my location was visible. I make 42K american dollars, live in the USA-East Coast--I live fairly simply--most of my salary goes towards rent and utilities (about 900 per month) but I am currently renting a two bedroom house and would plan to downsize if I end up in Indonesia. I only "need" enough money to live on (rent, food, utilities, etc) plus $250 american dollars per month for student loans. I know I'm not going to get rich (I'm a teacher--I figured that out pretty quickly), but I'd like to make sure I wouldn't have to scrimp on anything to get by.

How much teaching experience do you have? You should be able to get a job at one of the international schools here. I make 45k (tax free) at one here plus flights, housing, retirement and PD. So when you think about salary, you need to adjust it for cost of living. It is probably equivalent to 60-70k in the US since cost of living is lower and you get housing. In addition, I have a full time maid, driver, gardner, live in a huge house so things aren't so bad.

International teachers do very well and yes, you can get "rich" if you invest your money well (see here) along the way.

Comment

I've got 9 years experience in American public schools. I've been approached by an International Preschool about teaching/supervising English. What is a fair salary? Housing and travel allowance is provided.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanfi12 View Post
                  I've got 9 years experience in American public schools. I've been approached by an International Preschool about teaching/supervising English. What is a fair salary? Housing and travel allowance is provided.
                  Depending on the international school, should be in the range of 32k-45k otherwise, it is not a reputable school and you will be struggling a little financially.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeavers View Post
                    Depending on the international school, should be in the range of 32k-45k otherwise, it is not a reputable school and you will be struggling a little financially.
                    Struggling on less that $32k? That's wrong. You can earn $2k a month and have a reasonably good lifestyle in Jakarta without a doubt.

Comment

We lived in Jakarta for less than 1k per month. No car, but plenty of taxis. Small apartment, but comfortable enough. Not counting the car we bought, or newborn hospital expenses, we still do it for less in our rented house in Bandung.
                      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Yeh you can survive on less but I think the OP wants to maintain a similar standard of living. I went from earning $150k a year to $20k a year here and, although I don't have the same house, Porsche or luxuries, overall my lifestyle isn't vastly different. I agree Bandung is different (I live there also). My house costs me $1400 a year which leaves plenty of disposable income to play with.

Comment

Struggling on less that $32k? That's wrong. You can earn $2k a month and have a reasonably good lifestyle in Jakarta without a doubt.
                          Sure if you eat nasi goreng everyday, no travel, tiny house and don't enjoy any comforts from home. I am assuming should we would want to keep up the same standard of living.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeavers View Post
                            Sure if you eat nasi goreng everyday, no travel, tiny house and don't enjoy any comforts from home. I am assuming should we would want to keep up the same standard of living.
                            Are you serious? 20jt a month and you think you'd have a sh*t house, eat nasi all day etc...? Simply wrong. And don't forget, this is someone on $42k in America not someone with a millionaire lifestyle.
                            Last edited by Bandong; 03-12-12, 19:56.

Comment

Are you serious? 20jt a month and you think you'd have a sh*t house, eat nasi all day etc...? Simply wrong. And don't forget, this is someone on $42k in America not someone with a millionaire lifestyle.
                              Are you an expat? Sure, you could survive on less than 2k a month but 24,000 USD a year is below the poverty line in the US. Prices are not that much cheaper here, in fact groceries are more expensive than back home. Clothes and travel are the same price, rental prices are slightly cheaper but I am assuming that the OP would actually want to save some money and travel while she is here. I have yet to find a house that is well maintained, has a kitchen and does not contain shocking furniture for less than 6.5 million a month! Don't forget, the landlord will expect you to pay the full 2 years rental up front so make sure your school does this for you.

So for an idea on costs (from an expat teacher), my monthly bills are as follows (for me and my wife):
                              $1000 rent
                              $80 cable and internet
                              $700 food
                              $150 gas/car maintenance
                              $50 water + trash removal
                              $400 entertainment
                              $400 driver, maid, gardener
                              $150 misc

Comment

Working...
                              X