We need volunteers for our english class at islamic high school

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need volunteers for our english class at islamic high school

Hi, I'm a teacher at a high school in Jakarta, Indonesia. I'm thinking about having some extra hours for English program in my school. I'm wondering whether are there some native speakers in Jakarta who want to become volunteers in my school.

The English program is simply a conversation class that can make the students feel confortable or good about their English as a second language. Students and teachers may talk about anything they like. We wish to provide our students a valuable experience in their life which is not only speaking with native speaker, but also a valuable experience meeting and interacting with other foreign people with different point of view, culture and custom.

We understand that our students need a very powerfull tool in this competitive world. We understand also that the tool is an international language which is English that will make our students easier to interact with other foreign people throughout the world.

Please notice that this is volunteer program. Please notice also that the school will not provide any payment or transportation to the volunteers. We wish that the volunteers come from organization or institution who willing to have a long term relationship in this kind of activity. We believe this program will also become a program that build a bridge for the future interaction between Indonesia and other countries.

If you are interested to join with our community which is an Islamic School in East of Jakarta area, and if you are interested to have a relationship with young and bright students, please contact us at ettyrembulan@yahoo.com.

Thank you for your attention and help.

Etty Rembulan

I don't intend to be harsh, but I am a little ticked that somebody would even ask for such a thing. Why should an English teacher work for free? I mean, that's essentially what you're asking for. Teaching is a job, and even though there are many teachers who do love their work, that doesn't mean it's something they want to do for free in their spare time. If you want a native speaking teacher for your class, then do what every other school does and hire one.

Comment

As you indicate you want people who have specific association with accredited organisations you may have to consider paying a salary and making it legit as greves has indicated. But see if there is a Celtic office in Indonesia - you may be able to forge some mutually beneficial study program where people learning to deliver English teaching programs practice with your students wanting to learn English.

Comment

My understanding is that she is asking for a native English speaker only and not a teacher specifically. I would go along with the suggestion above and suggest getting in touch with the various organizations such as the British Women's Association, the American Women's Association and the Australia New Zealand Women's Association (Google them) as they tend to have lots of members with time on their hands and I know many are already volunteering in various capacities around Jakarta.
        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think this could be a great experience for a (non teaching professional) native english speaker - maybe a spouse stuck at home bored without anything creative to do.
          Why all the negativity, great for the NES and great for the kids.

Comment

I think her goal is simply to give her students a little exposure to native speakers, as opposed to getting a native-level professional instruction. You don't need any teaching credential, or even any teaching skill. She wants to work with an institution so this can be a long term program, not something that depends solely on the whim of individual volunteers.

This is an Islamic school specifically reaching out to Native English speakers (presumably westerners) instead of looking for Arab native speakers. Think for the moment of the significance of this gesture. I sincerely think this would be a valuable and eye opening experience for both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Injun View Post
              I think her goal is simply to give her students a little exposure to native speakers, as opposed to getting a native-level professional instruction. You don't need any teaching credential, or even any teaching skill. She wants to work with an institution so this can be a long term program, not something that depends solely on the whim of individual volunteers.

This is an Islamic school specifically reaching out to Native English speakers (presumably westerners) instead of looking for Arab native speakers. Think for the moment of the significance of this gesture. I sincerely think this would be a valuable and eye opening experience for both sides.
              wheres the thumbs up like button for this comment.

Comment

If this is for a conversational class, why exclude non-native speakers? Not to toot my own horn (well, I'm tooting anyway), but I dare say my English is on par with (if not better) what most native speakers can do.
                sigpic
                bassist, perl ninja, random stranger

Comment

Since I'm new on here and have been reading a lot of the postings and answers of these forums, I want to ask what seems to be asked quite often here. Is it legal to volunteer for a position like that or do the proper permits need to be acquired first. I think this would be a fantastic relationship builder and can only hope the school can find someone.
                  [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                    Is it legal to volunteer for a position like that or do the proper permits need to be acquired first. I think this would be a fantastic relationship builder and can only hope the school can find someone.
                    Bit of a grey zone of course but if it's an ad hoc activity there shouldn't be too much of an issue. (See the thread on the volunteers for the movie in Bali for an extensive discussion.)

Fully understand the OP wants to avoid the logistical nightmare of coordinating and therefore prefers an organization or institute to build a relationship with. Easier to communicate and they will probably be available during the day. (In case of one of the WA's.)

However, being somewhat blunt*; remembering my high school years I think I would be much more interested in learning about Jim's job in RI, Rabbit's latest solar projects and Hombre's fascination with high end audio than interacting with people from one denomination only. And to stretch it even further: Howie's exaltation of the Republican party and JG's & Injun's experiences of living in the US.

Also agree with MadCat that for conversational purposes excluding non-native English speakers wouldn't make a lot of sense. Then you could make the same case about Americans and Australians (slang and accents)? Sorry, bit cheeky.

It's a very positive initiative but I am somewhat pessimistic about the outcome.
                    Last edited by jstar; 09-09-12, 19:05. Reason: *personal experience BCWCB presentations to US expats in Belgium
                    [FONT=arial black]
                    [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X