Announcement

Collapse

Forum Software Migration (2nd Update)

As you may have noticed, the forum software has undergone a bit of a facelift. We've migrated from vBulletin4 to vBulletin5.2.2. As with all software major updates, there will undoubtedly be a few hiccups. As with all software upgrades, vBulletin has made changes in how their software works, so there may be a bit of a learning curve as you re-orient yourself to their changed environment.

We have worked through the initial hiccups that were reported. If you experience additional issues, please pm them to wm and we'll work through them. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
paman and wm
See more
See less

New Roles From Immigration For New Teachers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roles From Immigration For New Teachers

Our school just have received a memo from Immigration agent that from now on all teachers who are applying for KITAS have to have a min BA in a subject they would like to teach with a teacher's Certification, five year teaching experience and health-certificate. Please let me know if someone else have got same kind a information. Thanks

That's not a new rule. It's been the rule for a long time. The difference is that they're just now getting serious about it.

Comment

Indeed. They've left two years to the school to be prepared and now they are showing the stick. Schools knew it would come it their way, but many have done little to anticipate it.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen_flynn View Post
        Our school just have received a memo from Immigration agent that from now on all teachers who are applying for KITAS have to have a min BA in a subject they would like to teach with a teacher's Certification, five year teaching experience and health-certificate. Please let me know if someone else have got same kind a information. Thanks
        Is Immigration really insisting on five years teaching experience for new hires?
        This space is available for rent.

Comment

Is it a rule about the five years and the BA or an actual law or both?

I also wonder if there is any distinction to be made in the different forms of teaching. I would think that any University graduate ex-pat with a Ba of more than five years would be reluctant to accept the salary package offered to those who teach merely English conversation and not in an International School.

So might it not depend where you teach and who you are teaching?

Is it being suggested that I would need a BA in English (which I do not have) in order to teach my Wife and children English, my Mother in law, all of whom are Indonesian citizens? How would they go about looking to enforce such a rule or law? Pay 'spy money' to the local Ojek drivers or even my Mr R T for information and ask a group of guys to knock on my door and disturb my family life?

You do not have to be in an official institution to teach English. It is something any native English speaker does with a foreigner without thinking about it when striking up conversation and without looking for any remuneration.

May I suggest that there is or should be a distinction between the different levels of teaching required within a School (not many ex pats can handle teaching Science or Maths for example) and a clear distinction also between actually teaching English language which involves following a course such as TOEFL IELTS and stuff like that and everyday basic English conversation. How could it possibly be logical to have a BA to give basic English conversation?

Let us see where we are going with this.

Comment

Even for a company if you want to be a manager or an employee you must provide a university diploma to show that you are eligible to that work.

Comment

I've also read that on-line or distant-learning degrees (from the UK's Open University for example) will no longer be accepted.

I wonder if this in reaction to a glut of ESL teachers who've suddenly found themselves in possession of a distant degree in English? I know of at least one language school who are being rather creative with photoshop...
              And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if you can still teach in Indo with less than 2 yrs class experience even if you meet all the other criteria? tks wj

Comment

Hi, me again. Is there a cut off date the the Indo gov will start to enforce the 5yr minimum teaching experience this year? I met a teacher in Jkt that has just been employed this year with less than 5 yrs experience. Tks again wj

Comment

The 5 year rule seems to be one they are paying less attention to at the moment. They seem to be focusing on the qualifications in particular.

However it really depends on who is processing the work permit half the time. Unfortunately there are very rarely any definite's in Indonesia.
                    The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

Have to agree with travellingchez, the 5yr experience rule (our experience is 3 years) is not high on the list at the moment. The ones we are seeing more of are Degrees in Education (this is for teaching in schools and not to teach ESL), 1 page cv (no more) and full medicals, all translated into Bahasa. More will come as the new laws are applied.

Comment

While the new 'roles' might be a bit overzealous...

...quality control is desperately needed. I *really* hope the OP isn't an English teacher.

Instead of:

How about:
                        New Rules From Immigration Regarding New Teachers
                        Our school just received a memo from an immigration agent stating that, effective immediately, all teachers applying for a KITAS are required to hold (at the minimum) a BA in the subject they will be teaching, teaching credentials, five years of teaching experience, and a health certificate. If anyone else has received the same information, please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SamanthaB View Post
                          ...quality control is desperately needed. I *really* hope the OP isn't an English teacher.
                          I'm with SamanthaB on this one. I think it's much more important to pick holes in the grammar and spelling of postings than to address a major issue that may affect every teacher working here. You go for it Samantha!

Now I think I spotted an incorrect apostrophe in an urgent plea for help somewhere....

Comment

Originally posted by VardBon View Post

Now I think I spotted an incorrect apostrophe in an urgent plea for help somewhere....
                            I suppose CL's blog could be interpreted as a plea for help.
                            "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SamanthaB View Post

Instead of:

How about:
                              New Rules From Immigration Regarding New Teachers
                              Our school just received a memo from an immigration agent stating that, effective immediately, all teachers applying for a KITAS are required to hold (at the minimum) a BA in the subject they will be teaching, teaching credentials, five years of teaching experience, and a health certificate. If anyone else has received the same information, please let me know. Thanks.
                              Normally, I would argue that you shouldn't judge some ones casual use of English, such as our use of OP, on a forum as being indicative of their instruction in a class room. However, many of the errors he made should not be made by any native English speaker except on rare occasions. He made them frequently.

Comment

Working...
                              X