Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaming Video Is Bad For The Environment

From https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...perts-say.html , Okt 2019

[... experts say the ease of streaming services comes with a hefty environmental price tag.

Watching a half-hour show would lead to emissions of 1.6 kilograms of carbon dioxide equivalent, said Maxime Efoui-Hess of French think tank the Shift Project. That's equivalent to driving 6.28 km .
    Last year, online video streaming produced emissions equivalent to Spain and that amount may double in the next six years, according to the Shift Project.

Much of the energy needed for streaming services is consumed by the data center, which delivers data to your computer or device, ... The centers contribute about 0.3 percent of all carbon emissions, according to an article by Nature.

Web-based video traffic is expected to increase four times from 2017 to 2022 and account for 80 percent of all internet traffic by 2022, according to the CISCO Network...]

As an alternative to streaming movies, should we all be hopping in the car for drives to the bijou?

Comment

I don't stream video neither music . For music I hear from the FM radio . For video I watch from free TV (I had paid TV but I though it was not worth) .

About streaming video , I guess many people don't realize that , even if they don't pay for the video itself , they need to pay for the internet connection . So for streaming a HD movie (around 4.5 GB of data for a 90 min movie) cost around Rp70.000 for only the data transfer , is it worth ? I spend only around 3 GB during a month for all my essential things : online banking , Whatsapp (no video) , email , Forum , online shopping , news , text information searching , Google translating , ...

But unfortunately I know that people around the world will stream video more and more , as it is very easy and convenient . In the above article they think that streaming video "may double in the next six years" , but I think it will it will be a lot more than that . Just see what Telkonsel stated for the first 9 months of this year : with almost the same number of customers , data traffic increased 55% , I guess mainly due to video streaming/downloading (https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...ess-soars.html , Okt 2019) .

Cases bad for the environment like streaming video , tourism flights , eating meat , driving private motor vehicles , using air cooling/heating , forest fires , ... are all increasing , showing that the battle against global warming will be impossible to win .
      Last edited by marcus; 1 week ago.

Comment

that's something new. I've never streamed anything, but I think we can connect any modern activity to eco-distraction

Comment

Working...
        X