Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic waste of HK/FR shipping back from Indonesia

About time!
    Indonesia is sending containers of waste back to wealthy nations after finding it was contaminated with used diapers, plastic and other materials.

Unfortunately we individuals & countries' government don't care about the waste/pollution we produce . I still didn't hear about any country where it is mandatory to have a selective waste management for toxic waste .

Very few measures is being taken , like now France is thinking to tax air travel due to the pollution caused by airplanes , which is increasing very quickly (last year 4 billion people had flight trips) .
    Last edited by marcus; 1 week ago.

Comment

Yes, true indeed, most govts don't care until the people complain or become sick from the toxic pollution. I think because of that, China does impose mandatory waste policy for toxic waste. As a result, they decide to take in less toxic waste and the remaining waste is pushed to other countries in Asia like Philipines and Indonesia.

From this statistic below from just plastic waste from USA, a lot is shipped to ASEAN countries. Indonesia takes in a few thousand containers worth of the waste.(6th most).
      https://rlist.io/l/countries-importi...e-exports-2019

So, if unable to process properly, better to send back to all these developed countries than leave here and cause pollution.

Originally posted by marcus View Post
      Unfortunately we individuals & countries' government don't care about the waste/pollution we produce . I still didn't hear about any country where it is mandatory to have a selective waste management for toxic waste .

Very few measures is being taken , like now France is thinking to tax air travel due to the pollution caused by airplanes , which is increasing very quickly (last year 4 billion people had flight trips) .

Comment

Originally posted by bigtoma90 View Post
        ... most govts don't care until the people complain or become sick ...

Unfortunately most people (maybe near 99.999%) ignore the subject . If governments don't do something in large scale (like teaching in schools , (*) taxing waste , ..) , I see no solution .

(*) But not insignificantly like France is starting next year : a tax of just 1.5 Euros on outgoing economy-class flight tickets (Sweden in April 2018 imposed an added charge of up to 40 Euros on every flight ticket according to https://www.thejakartapost.com/trave...e-tickets.html)

Comment

Working...
        X