Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Poor is The World Population

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How Poor is The World Population

    How the majority of the world's population was living in 2011 :
    (Summary from the information below)
    - 84% of the world population was living on US$20 or less per day = up to US$600 per month (considered poor in developed countries - even in Jakarta , US$600 is only 2.16 times the present Jakarta's minimum wage) .

    In other words :

    - 15% on US$ 2 or less per day (around US$60 per month , or around Rp852'000 per month) ,

    - 56% on between US$ 2 per day and US$ 10 per day (around US$60 up to US$300 per month , or around Rp852'000 up to Rp4'260'000 per month) ,

    - 13% on between US$ 10 per day and US$ 20 per day (around US$300 up to US$600 per month , or around Rp4'260'000 up to Rp8'520'000 per month) .


    -------------------------------------


    From http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-less-per-day/ , September 23, 2015
    Title : Seven-in-ten people globally live on $10 or less per day
    By Rakesh Kochhar

    [... 71% of the global population of 6.2 billion - lived on US$10 or less per day in 2011, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of the most recently available data ...
    the poverty line in the U.S. was US$15.77 per day per capita for a 4-person household in 2011 ...
    In our report, we divided people who live on US$10 or less daily into two groups: the global poor, who live on US$2 or less per day, and the global low-income population that lives on US$2 to US$10 per day. By this standard, .. 56% of the global population is low income .. adding to that , 15% of the global population, are poor ...
    the share of the world's population that lived on US$2 or less per day decreased (- the equivalent of 14% of the population)... however, .. the low-income population .. increased (+ the equivalent of 11.4% of the population) from 2001 to 2011. And many of the newly minted members of the low-income population are at the edge of the global poverty line, living on about US$3 daily ...]


    From https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../poor-j11.html , 11 July 2015
    Pew report: 84 percent of world population subsists on under $20 per day
    By Andre Damon

    [... The report, entitled "A Global Middle Class is More Promise than Reality" .. concludes that 84% of the world population (in 2011) lives on less than USD20 per day .. an income level associated with "deep poverty"?? in developed countries ...]


    From https://gajimu.com/garmen/gaji-peker...mp-dki-jakarta
    Gajimu.com


    [... Upah Minimum Jakarta 2019 sebesar‎ Rp 3.940.973/bulan ...] (Jakarta's minimum wage 2019 is Rp3.940.973)


    --------------------------------------


    From https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/pr...than-550-a-day , October 17, 2018
    Press Release
    Title : Nearly Half the World Lives on Less than $5.50 a Day

    [... 26.2% of the world's population, were living on less than US$3.20 per day in 2015. Close to 46% of the world'??s population was living on less than US$5.50 a day ...]
    Last edited by marcus; 27-03-20, 16:06.

  • #2
    Less that one juta per month is poor in Jakarta, while over eight juta per month is not. The minimum wage level is probably a better break point between poor and not poor in DKI, in my experience.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
      Less that one juta per month is poor in Jakarta, while over eight juta per month is not ...

      To me doesn't matter much if one is considered poor or not , but instead it makes me sad to know that at least 84% of all people in the world could not have a financially reasonable life (at least at the level considered acceptable by most of us in this Forum , I guess) . And in countries without a subsidized health system , being seriously sick would mean a death sentence .
      Last edited by marcus; 12-03-19, 16:03.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by marcus View Post


        To me doesn't matter much if one is considered poor or not , but instead it makes me sad to know that at least 84% of all people in the world could not have a decent life (at least at the level considered acceptable by most of us in this Forum , I guess) . And in countries without a subsidized health system , being seriously sick would mean a death sentence .
        My point was that the 84% number is not a reliable point of division between those enjoying and not enjoying a decent life.

        Some would include the USA among the countries without a subsidized healthcare system.

        Comment


        • #5
          I guess it's defined by our standards and the people around us. If I take the different standards out of the equation, only other people defines our sense of wealth or poorness. I think we think we are poor when we have less than others. We feel we are rich when we have more than others. It doesn't matter how much money or stuff you have/own.

          Succes is measured by comparing yourself to others. Which shouldn't be, but which is.

          Comment


          • #6
            Certainly agree, there will always be a wealth gap, since most of the world are capitalist economies. Contentment plays a role too; if contented, then poor/rich is not really an important issue.

            Originally posted by OpenSolutions View Post
            I guess it's defined by our standards and the people around us. If I take the different standards out of the equation, only other people defines our sense of wealth or poorness. I think we think we are poor when we have less than others. We feel we are rich when we have more than others. It doesn't matter how much money or stuff you have/own.

            Succes is measured by comparing yourself to others. Which shouldn't be, but which is.

            Comment


            • #7
              Capitalism is a zero-sum game, for someone to profit, someone will have to take a loss. Usually, the top 3 players in the market will profit big, meaning a lot of other companies will take a loss and so the inevitable wealth gap. Content is a counter to this, but in real life, with hardships and high cost of living, contentment is hard to feel and achieve.

              Originally posted by bigtoma90 View Post
              Certainly agree, there will always be a wealth gap, since most of the world are capitalist economies. Contentment plays a role too; if contented, then poor/rich is not really an important issue.
               

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kantollos View Post
                Capitalism is a zero-sum game, for someone to profit, someone will have to take a loss. Usually, the top 3 players in the market will profit big, meaning a lot of other companies will take a loss and so the inevitable wealth gap. Content is a counter to this, but in real life, with hardships and high cost of living, contentment is hard to feel and achieve.
                In real life, your opinion is misinformed.

                Comment

                Working...
                X