Nahdlatul Ulama Approves Underage Marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nahdlatul Ulama Approves Underage Marriage

[SIZE=2]Another article from The jakarta Globe[/SIZE].

Makassar, South Sulawesi. The country’s largest Muslim organization proclaimed on Friday that underage marriage is allowed, even if the bride or groom has not yet reached puberty, as long as the purpose of the marriage is to build a happy family.

Cholil Nafis, secretary of the religious issues committee at the 32nd Nahdlatul Ulama congress, said Islamic law stated that it is better to marry after reaching sexual maturity. However, he added, the law does not require waiting.

They can get married at any age, even girls that haven’t yet menstruated are allowed,” he said. “And they can have an intimate relations, intercourse, if they are able to.”

He emphasized that the objectives of the marriage must be positive.

“Mind you that we don’t encourage people to just get married to fulfill their desires, no," he said.

Cholil said NU was aware that other groups might disagree with the ruling. But the organization looks at the issue from a religious point of view, he said, while others may view it from other perspectives such as that of human rights.

“If people disagree with our fatwa, so be it,” he said. “We never force people to follow what we say.”
    In its official report, NU wrote that underage marriages happened in several areas of the country in order to bind young couples. It mentioned a case in which a 10-year-old boy married a similarly young girl. "There are some people who want their sons to marry certain girls, mostly, both families know each other and they want to keep their good relationship," Cholil said. The marriage is like a normal wedding, the report says, except that the parents stand in for the children. The girl and boy are then separated. After they finish school and are read for adult responsibilities, they are re-married. "That's the common thing that happens," said Cholil.

I feel I wanna puke...

Comment

Poor old ibu Kartini must be rotating in her grave.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
        I feel I wanna puke...
        I'm bloody sure it's sick.

Comment

Never mind Ibu Kartini, NU's own Gus Dur must be rolling in his grave right now. I know that such marriage is allowed by Islamic law, but NU as an organization can choose to disallow it. I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Before this turn into regular old Islamic bashing, I'll remind you that Orthodox Judaism allows girls as young as 3 year old to marry. The difference is I have yet to find an orthodox Rabbi openly promoting it, especially since it's against the laws of most countries.

Comment

Will we see mass outrage over this from moslems? It seems to me we don't hear much against things like this. It's been stated in the Forum what good conduct "true" islam represents and what is false, sick etc. but where is the majorities voice condemning such acts on mass? This is where, if there is a solution to Islamic fanaticism, lies. Not much will improve without mass protesting, and informants on a much greater scale than is today. What stops the majority? Fear? Quiet agreement with fanatics? Aloofness because although many moslems have fallen victims to terror by actions of fanatics, fanatics consider them necessary victims in the fight against non-believers?

Comment

But have you noticed how selective large sections of the ummah can be about fatwas? I'm willing to bet that the loudest voices in support of these pronouncements on what amounts to child abuse will be the same ones that moaned about the 'smoking is haram' fatwa. The article cites an archaic tradition of arranged marriages between young boys and girls, but we all know that the real demand for marrying and penetrating pre-pubescent girls comes from older men - the likes of the blessed Syech Puji. Did the smoking fatwa fall on stoney ground because it mostly inconveniences men for a change?

Comment

I'm glad I grew a pair and became apostate.
                [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion. (Abraham Lincoln)[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Pimpin View Post
                  Will we see mass outrage over this from moslems? It seems to me we don't hear much against things like this. It's been stated in the Forum what good conduct "true" islam represents and what is false, sick etc. but where is the majorities voice condemning such acts on mass? This is where, if there is a solution to Islamic fanaticism, lies. Not much will improve without mass protesting, and informants on a much greater scale than is today. What stops the majority? Fear? Quiet agreement with fanatics? Aloofness because although many moslems have fallen victims to terror by actions of fanatics, fanatics consider them necessary victims in the fight against non-believers?
                  Totally agree with Pimpin. For a country that tries to advertise itself to the world as the exalted example of a moderate Moslem country, there should be outrage over this kind of ruling. Means of letting the world know that it is unacceptable and only favored by the zealous few. Silence might not mean acceptance, but it shows the act is not important enough to really care.

Cholil said NU was aware that other groups might disagree with the ruling. But the organization looks at the issue from a religious point of view, he said, while others may view it from other perspectives such as that of human rights.

If any religion, or groups within the religion doesn't take into account human rights, then they will never be taken seriously on the world stage.

My wife was married off at 12 and thrown together with her "husband" when she was 17. Being totally naive of what was expected, when the husband tried to do his bed time duties the first time, he got a kick in the balls that sent him to the corner, the wife ran away and never talked to him again. Luckily, she was accepted back in the family without any shame or blame. I can't blame the parents, as it was just the custom in the little remote village, but I would have hoped that things had progressed more than it has from 40 yrs ago.

Comment

I can hear all the nonses from around the world saying alhamdulia as they convert to islam and book plane tickets to indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                      I can hear all the nonses from around the world saying alhamdulia as they convert to islam and book plane tickets to indonesia.
                      They would move into Saudi Arabia first where there's actually no legal lower age limit for marriage.

Comment

According to the NU version of the world a foreign muslim can come in on a tourist visa, take a pre-pubescent wife by 'kawin siri', do what he wants with her, then say 'i divorce you' three times and be on his way. So long as the girl doesn't do yoga, or colour her hair, or wear clothing that could 'result in indecency' then all is well. He doesn't even have to feel too guilty about the post-coital smoke.

If you made this up as a work of fiction publishers would reject it as too far-fetched.

Comment

Surely this must be against the Porograph Law somehow? I thought it was meant to protect woman and children... I don't see any protection here.
                          The comments made by this user are merely random thoughts without any validity or truth.

Comment

"objectives of the marriage must be positive" hmmmm pedophilia by another name!

I join the "this makes me sick" crowd on this !

wm
                            Danielle Surkatty
                            Member of the Organizing Committee
                            Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
                            http://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
                            http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/
                            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by gffgold View Post
                              According to the NU version of the world a foreign muslim can come in on a tourist visa, take a pre-pubescent wife by 'kawin siri', do what he wants with her, then say 'i divorce you' three times and be on his way. So long as the girl doesn't do yoga, or colour her hair, or wear clothing that could 'result in indecency' then all is well. He doesn't even have to feel too guilty about the post-coital smoke.

If you made this up as a work of fiction publishers would reject it as too far-fetched.
                              Don't be silly. Smoking is haram now.
                              Seriously. It could happen and it's very bad news for all.
                              If any bugger tried to 'marry' my daughter in that perverted way he can prepare to be talking in a high voice for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X