Again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can be done. Today's news:

A gun amnesty in South Australia has been extended until the end of the year, with more than 2,600 unregistered, illegal or unwanted firearms already handed in since it began.

The amnesty started on December 1, 2015 and will finish on December 31, 2016.

Superintendent Kym Hand said the extension would give owners more time to hand in their firearms and make the community safer.

"The surrender of 2,635 firearms in just six months is a significant response," Superintendent Hand said.

"That response indicates extra time will give more owners the opportunity to clear out firearms, accessories and ammunition, without fear of prosecution for having unregistered or unlicensed firearms and assist to keep them out of the hands of criminals."

Superintendent Hand said from July 2013 to January 2016, a total of 670 firearms were reported stolen in South Australia.

Just over half of those were stolen from owners living in rural areas.

"Police reinforce the message to rural owners that now is time to hand in firearms they no longer need or those that aren't [or never have been] registered," Superintendent Hand said.

"Don't get left with illegal or unregistered firearms and face tough penalties of up to $50,000 or imprisonment for up to 10 years."

Those wanting to hand in guns can find participating dealers on the SA police website.

Comment

• Nobody is advocating to get rid of the second amendment, it is 12 am on the west coast as I am watching the news. The democrats have a sit-in to force the republicans to vote, 80% of the people only want some gun control laws, like no fly no buy. We have a national guard or citizen warriors we call them in the Army, so that take care of the first part, the second part in the second amendment states, we can not infringe on people rights to own guns, okay, but let us have gun laws. Well the vote is adjourned till july the fifth, now they are voting on the zeka bill , my goodness. Where is the people power, why are we not voting out those who vote against gun laws. 80% want gun laws and still the republicans are doing the NRA bidding.
      People power can defeat the NRA lobby. Sit- in still going on and outside the capitol people are gathering and protesting to support those brave democrats. Now we need Bernie and his supporters.

Comment

• Maybe there is a startup in all this. The "Do What I Ask and You'll Have my Vote" app would allow people to register as members of a certain district and report their wishes directly to their representatives on key issues. They could rate their desire for the rep to "Vote yes for bill xxx" on a scale of one to ten. Constituent opinions would be tallied and complied, as would actual votes by the rep. So, it could be set up to keep track of a representative's "compliance" with the wishes of both the user in particular and the constituency on the whole. When election time came around you could look back and see if your representative had consistently represented your wishes on the issues.
        Last edited by Happyman; 23-06-16, 17:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by benederlof View Post
          Nobody is advocating to get rid of the second amendment, it is 12 am on the west coast as I am watching the news. The democrats have a sit-in to force the republicans to vote, 80% of the people only want some gun control laws, like no fly no buy. We have a national guard or citizen warriors we call them in the Army, so that take care of the first part, the second part in the second amendment states, we can not infringe on people rights to own guns, okay, but let us have gun laws. Well the vote is adjourned till july the fifth, now they are voting on the zeka bill , my goodness. Where is the people power, why are we not voting out those who vote against gun laws. 80% want gun laws and still the republicans are doing the NRA bidding.
          People power can defeat the NRA lobby. Sit- in still going on and outside the capitol people are gathering and protesting to support those brave democrats. Now we need Bernie and his supporters.
          I think Republican politicians are avoiding a vote altogether because each rep doesn't want his name tied to a yay or nay vote on gun control, not in an election year. After a massacre like this, a nay vote can potentially drive some independents away and make him lose to a Democrat in a tight race, while a yay vote can make him lose in the Republican nomination process to a fellow Republican with stronger 2nd amendment position (has never voted for gun control).

The senate did if differently, they put out 4 competing bills and all of them failed. This was perfect cover because every single senator can say they voted to do something by voting for their pet bill. Republican senators would sell their bill not as gun control but as terrorist control, so it wouldn't affect their electability later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happyman View Post
            Maybe there is a startup in all this. The "Do What I Ask and You'll Have my Vote" app would allow people to register as members of a certain district and report their wishes directly to their representatives on key issues. They could rate their desire for the rep to "Vote yes for bill xxx" on a scale of one to ten. Constituent opinions would be tallied and complied, as would actual votes by the rep. So, it could be set up to keep track of a representative's "compliance" with the wishes of both the user in particular and the constituency on the whole. When election time came around you could look back and see if your representative had consistently represented your wishes on the issues.
            Nancy Pelosi of the house and Diane Feinstein of the senate, both democrats represent my district. Both of them are in tune with my opinion, no need to keep track of their records.

Comment

• As for the weapon, there are enough guns in private hands in USA to arm every man, woman, and child. When you impose a restriction today, the only effect is unfairly disarming those who haven't had the chance to own a gun and not wanting to break the law. People intent on committing crime is not affected, as by definition they don't care about the law.
              hi

Comment

Working...
              X