Again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again?

The Newtown shooting, San Bernardino and Charleston are just a few of the list.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-mass-shooting

& this is before the USA get Mr Trump in power-imagine the horrors should he actually be voted in.
    Cicak Magnet

Comment

It is a uniquely American tragedy played out with alarming frequency that deranged, angry men fueled by hate can easily arm themselves with high powered, high capacity pistols and long guns for wholesale murder of persons not fitting their particular brand of unorthodoxy.

Comment

If you can stand it, follow Trump's tweet. He already thanked people for congratulating him on being right (about Muslims). But I'm less worried about Trump, it's the tens of millions of hateful idiots voting for him that I need to watch for. When he gets elected, I can see the FBI coming to the local mosque with a subpoena for its membership list. Or maybe it would be more subtle, the FISA court would authorize hacking into their computers and glean all the names.

Registering and closely watching Muslim immigrants is not unprecedented. Back in 2002 Attorney General Ashcroft instituted NSEERS, which required immigrants from 24 predominantly Muslim countries plus North Korea to register with the (then) INS. Registered people were required to visit a special immigration office every time they exit and enter USA. The NSEERS in effect criminalized undocumented immigrants from Muslim countries. If they didn't register they were committing a federal criminal offense, but if they registered then their lack of documentation automatically led to deportation. There were about 8 million undocumented Mexicans, but they specifically targeted immigrants from Muslim countries for deportation. About 15K got deported through NSEERS.

I have little doubt that Trump administration can come up with something even more egregious. If Bush can do it, so can Trump.

As for the weapon, there are enough guns in private hands in USA to arm every man, woman, and child. When you impose a restriction today, the only effect is unfairly disarming those who haven't had the chance to own a gun and not wanting to break the law. People intent on committing crime is not affected, as by definition they don't care about the law.

A gun ban is only effective if it's coupled with mandatory surrender of guns to the government. I don't see how that can be remotely legal, let alone constitutional (2nd amendment issue).

Comment

Just curious, isn't it possible to amend an amendment? After all the fact that it is the 2nd amendment surely implies that it has been amended previously, ergo it is not unprecedented in law.
          Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
            It is a uniquely American tragedy played out with alarming frequency that deranged, angry men fueled by hate can easily arm themselves with high powered, high capacity pistols and long guns for wholesale murder of persons not fitting their particular brand of unorthodoxy.
            Even if the capacity is limited to 10 rounds (like in California and many other states), to kill 50 people the gunman would only need to reload 4 more times, delaying the death by about 12 seconds in total. Gun capacity is less relevant than the free floating hatred peddled by conservative avenues.

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
              Just curious, isn't it possible to amend an amendment? After all the fact that it is the 2nd amendment surely implies that it has been amended previously, ergo it is not unprecedented in law.
              Of course it is possible, but it's extremely difficult. It would require two-thirds of both houses of Congress and three-quarters of the states. America is almost evenly split when it comes to guns, half the people sees firearms as an instrument of death, the other half sees it as instrument of life, for self defense. Getting two-thirds of congress to agree on anything is damn near impossible, let alone about this highly controversial issue.

Comment

It's possible, the prohibition of alcohol was a constitutional amendment, and was undone with another constitutional amendment. It's completely unprecedented for one of the original 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) to be negated and takes a 2/3 majority in both houses of congress. It's never (in my lifetime?) going to happen with the 2nd amendment.

There are dozens of militias, and millions of otherwise fairly normal citizens, who would literally fight to the death if the government came to take their guns. It's a problem that can't be simply undone when there are already hundreds of millions of firearms in private ownership.

It's so very complicated, and too often tragic.

I often read the pro-gun crowd respond that the crazy people will kill one way or another, and I do agree, but guns make them a lot more deadly. The "Boston Bombers" did a decent amount of planning, and they only killed 3. Explosives are very hard to do well, guns are not.

Comment

[COLOR=#333333]It is a uniquely American tragedy, as well, that mass murders are viewed only as a soap box by gun [/COLOR]apologists.

Comment

Well, I am glad I don't live there, or intend to visit again.
                    Cicak Magnet

Comment

We usually don't shoot visitors.

Comment

Well, I am glad I don't live there, or intend to visit again.
                        Actually, crime rate has been declining steadily, it's down by about 70% since a couple of decades ago. USA is safer than ever, but highly publicized murders mask that fact.
                        http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilhowe.../#20058e8d7733

Comment

Australia did it with a buyback program.
                          http://www.businessinsider.com.au/au...otings-2015-10

Comment

Unless they visit the wrong part of town.

Comment

Ha! : http://www.fumento.com/crime/florida.html

And according to The Independent USA is number 4 on the list for risk of death to UK tourists... not saying they were all shot though ... the article is n't quite clear
                              http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a6928656.html
                              Cicak Magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X