Indonesian govt tightens watch on foreigners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
    Can anyone point out the law that mandates a 25jt fine for not having your ID on you?
    Very honestly, I would be interested to have an immigration officer threatening me with article 116 UU 6/2011 after me showing him a photocopy of my KITAP and passport. I would suggest him to prosecute me if s/he believes I have infringed the law and if s/he believes he/she has a case.

Sorry to say, but saying that a foreigner risks to be prosecuted with said article because he showed a copy instead of an original of his/her passport would be laughable.

I remember that, shortly after the raids occurred, Pak Mirza iskandar (the Direktur Penyidikan dan Penindakan Keimigrasian), who was grilled about it, opposing a non answer to the question about copy vs original. He just said that the law was saying that a foreigner had to be able to provide a passport OR a KITAS/KITAP (therefore confirming that carrying a passport was not mandatory since a KITAS/KITAP would be enough) but never affirmed it had to be an original on the spot. He knew that during the May 2015 raids a lot of abuses have been committed.

Article 116 punishes by a fine and/or a jail term any foreigner who has refused to or is unable at any time to present a valid travel document. It is sometimes used for the prosecution of illegal immigrant who have destroyed their travel document. Used against a registered foreigner caught in a raid with only a copy of his passport? Come on.

One of the reason why some immigration officers so easily abuse some of us is found in the fact that some of us are ready to believe pretty much anything. For the record, since May 2011 no cases of a foreigner not being able to present on the spot an original ID has made it to court.

Personally, I never carry a passport nor a KITAP. A KTP and my SIM, associated with a polite attitude, has always done the trick. If I would decide to go get drunk in places like jln Jaksa, Blok M or some notorious club during a sensitive period as Ramadhan is, I may consider taking my KITAP with me. Outside this period and places, no way.
    Last edited by atlantis; 14-06-16, 15:16.

Comment

There was an announcement in Jakarta Post yesterday about the law and requirements - about 6cm X 4cm.

Personally, never took anything with me but knew about the requirements from the day I arrived. Then took laminated version but now nothing - KITAP.

Comment

Wanna keep an eye on their own lot, I've never met a bule drug dealer here in 22 years.
        what sort of rogue Bules are these politicians associating with
        Thousands of bules involved in crimes ???
        There appears to be a lot of conflating "foreigner" with "bule" going on here. I read through the article and nowhere did it say the immigration authorities were going after white/western people, it said they were monitoring "foreigners" for such things as drug dealing, radicalism, transnational crime etc.

It may surprise posters here but not all foreigners in Indonesia are white-skinned and in point of fact when it comes to issues of drug smuggling, radicalisation and people trafficking in Indonesia foreigners are in fact heavily involved, perhaps not white-skinned foreigners (they get involved in crimes too of course but usually crimes of a different nature) but foreigners nonetheless. I think it is perfectly reasonable of the govt, which has after all pretty much thrown open the doors to Indonesia by abolishing visa regulations, to tighten up monitoring procedures.

As to the razia in Blok M it is blindingly obvious that that is a shake-down operation to get some THR ahead of Idul Fitri, bules aren't being singled out in that regard, it's just that we happen to notice this instance because it involves us, all across Indonesia right now businesses are being visited by highly officious civil servants who have suddenly discovered a desire to check out permits and licenses that they hadn't been too concerned about in the previous 11 months and which now require urgent attention.

It's the way this country works, it's nothing personal (although that would be of little comfort if you had to spend a night sleeping on an immigration office floor).

Comment

Just a quick update on my friends' situation:

Their documents are still being held by imigrasi. Their respective companies have been in to the guy in charge several times over the last week or so trying to come to a solution that works for all parties and the wheels seemed to be turning, albeit slowly. As of this morning one of the three was informed that his company no longer needs to be involved and the fine agreed upon yesterday is no longer valid as the issue is no longer about money. He'll be summoned to imigrasi in due course. The other two are still in limbo.

Comment

Yesterday we gave our old passports, new ones and blue books to our agent to have our Kitap transferred, as suggested by the imigrasi officer at the airport. The agent said we also need to give our Kitap to Immigration. I said we will not have any IDs if asked by police.....they said just ask them to call us.
            I visualise we will languish in Kerobokan Hilton if the police have their way so....if any member doesn't hear from Davita for a while please be kind enough to check on our survival.
            Last edited by Davita; 14-07-16, 06:55. Reason: spelling

Comment

It doesn't seem logical to give them your Kitap, but it's Indonesia... The Jakarta Hilton is nice (Well, it's really a Doubletree, but the same thing).
              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

It doesn't seem logical to give them your Kitap, but it's Indonesia... The Jakarta Hilton is nice (Well, it's really a Doubletree, but the same thing).
                Exactly...goes against their policy that all foreigners MUST carry their Kitas/Kitap. I will get a KTP after they return my documents next week.
                btw I should have said Hotel Kerobokan...I don't believe it's actually run by the Hilton Group...but its location is not far from my house so maybe my wife can visit if they offer accomodation....here's some pictures of the building...http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=ke...screen50-bb-ac

Comment

Originally posted by Davita View Post

Exactly...goes against their policy that all foreigners MUST carry their Kitas/Kitap. I will get a KTP after they return my documents next week.
                  btw I should have said Hotel Kerobokan...I don't believe it's actually run by the Hilton Group...but its location is not far from my house so maybe my wife can visit if they offer accomodation....here's some pictures of the building...http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=ke...screen50-bb-ac
                  I wonder if they offer evening turn down service?

Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

I wonder if they offer evening turn down service?
                    If the polis catch me without a Kitas in my wallet I might get the chance to find out...I do believe breakfast is inclusive.
                    Not that I'm interested but I hear it's the best place in town to buy drugs...when I had surgery recently I advised my surgeon that he could get my anesthetic and morphine pain-killer cheaper there....

Comment

I am sure that having the KTP for foreigners should be sufficient (for those eligible)

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                        I would suggest him to prosecute me if s/he believes I have infringed the law and if s/he believes he/she has a case.
                        This is all very well, but many people do not have the time or inclination to go through a lengthy legal process, even if they had full trust that it will be fair. For those with a lot of time on their hands this is possible, and it gives them a source of good stories for the future ;-), but imagine someone with a job having to explain to his boss that he is just going to take 6 months off to fight a legal case relating to not carrying a KITAS. He'd be fired before he finished the sentence

Comment

Originally posted by jef dam View Post
                          Just a quick update on my friends' situation:

Their documents are still being held by imigrasi. Their respective companies have been in to the guy in charge several times over the last week or so trying to come to a solution that works for all parties and the wheels seemed to be turning, albeit slowly. As of this morning one of the three was informed that his company no longer needs to be involved and the fine agreed upon yesterday is no longer valid as the issue is no longer about money. He'll be summoned to imigrasi in due course. The other two are still in limbo.
                          Do you have any update to your last post...I'm sure it would be very informative to others.

Comment

Working...
                          X