Surabaya to become alcohol free city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surabaya to become alcohol free city

The second-largest city in Indonesia, Surabaya, has approved a bylaw that bans the production, distribution and consumption of alcoholic beverages.

“If in three months [Governor] Soekarwo does not respond to this bylaw, it would be enacted directly in Surabaya. The bylaw does not contradict to any regulation because we have consulted the Home Ministry,” Armuji, speaker of the Surabaya Legislative Council, said on Friday.

According to the bylaw, punishments would include the issuance of warning letters, administration fines, temporary closure of businesses, revocation of business licenses and the shutting down of businesses.

“Offenders would also face three months imprisonment or pay a fine of Rp 50 million. The bylaw covers any kind of alcoholic beverage, such as beer or others with more than 10 percent alcohol, including traditional beverages and mixed alcoholic beverages [oplosan],” Armuji said.

Islands focus: Surabaya to be an alcohol-free city - The Jakarta Post

this should be good for tourism , and an incentive for investment , what a joke !

Excellent. One more reason NOT to visit that cultural wasteland.

Comment

If the majority of non Muslims were to force Muslims to drink alcohol against their will/religious beliefs that would be persecution wouldn't it ?? However if a Muslim majority was to close all the bars and totally deny and criminalize the non Muslim minority the chance to freely and responsibly consume alcohol (as allowed by their choice or beliefs).......................... what's that called again ??

Fanatical religious head bangers - 1
      Moderate intelligent Muslims - 0

Comment

Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
        The second-largest city in Indonesia, Surabaya, has approved a bylaw that bans the production, distribution and consumption of alcoholic beverages.

“Offenders would also face three months imprisonment or pay a fine of Rp 50 million. The bylaw covers any kind of alcoholic beverage, such as beer or others with more than 10 percent alcohol, including traditional beverages and mixed alcoholic beverages [oplosan],” Armuji said.

Islands focus: Surabaya to be an alcohol-free city - The Jakarta Post

this should be good for tourism , and an incentive for investment , what a joke !
        Another 9 dead in Jogya on the weekend. All of them old enough to know better.
        https://news.detik.com/berita/321078...plosan-9-orang

Comment

Yeah John - but you cant really compare 9 dead people who consumed kampung moonshine to the average wine drinker in a Surabaya restaurant or the average beer drinker in a club or bar.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
            Yeah John - but you cant really compare 9 dead people who consumed kampung moonshine to the average wine drinker in a Surabaya restaurant or the average beer drinker in a club or bar.
            No doubt. Interesting choice of word "moonshine". With such as ban I guess we are going to see an uptick in private stills like a hundred years back in US, and sadly more wood alcohol deaths.

Comment

John: scoot's point exactly

Comment

I understand the desire to reduce the harm alcohol causes, it's a public health issue and a significant drain on economies rather than some fabulous economic miracle. 2.5 million dead people a year who produce no capital along with all those lost work hours and the *lucky* ones who were merely maimed definitely offset the economic activity it generates.

But the way to prevent its consumption needs to be education rather than heavy handed tactics. Yes, we should ban alcohol advertisements for the same reason we limit them for cigarettes, yes, we should place heavy taxes on alcoholic products to offset its burdensome social costs, yes, we should place greater emphasis on pursuit and prosecution of impaired motorists, yes, we should acknowledge the role alcohol plays in domestic violence, rape and assault... but we still should be cautious about outright banning it.

It would be best if it could remain legal yet completely unattractive to consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                  ...................Yes, we should ban alcohol advertisements for the same reason we limit them for cigarettes, ..........
                  Yes but do it. I swear at around 10am today, when I tried to open Detik, I had to dodge and finally eliminate a giant red and white Marlboro window that obliterated any chance of reading any news. Or was it an apparition I saw before me?
                  Last edited by johntap; 17-05-16, 00:23.

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
                    Yes but do it. I swear at around 10am today, when I tried to open Detik, I was had to dodge and finally eliminate a giant red and white Marlboro window that obliterated any chance of reading any news. Or was it an apparition I saw before me?
                    Heh. I meant in developed countries. Yeah, cigarettes need to be tackled first before alcohol in Indonesia. The cost/benefit analysis for that is skewed even more heavily toward cost in cigarettes than with alcohol.

I don't have the numbers handy, but I suspect Indonesia has more alcohol related deaths and injuries than some countries with far more drinkers. If my suspicion is correct, it's an issue of proper enforcement and public health education and that should be addressed before fussy moral panic.

Comment

The question for me is why now? What changed?

Comment

Originally posted by jukung11 View Post
                        The question for me is why now? What changed?
                        Fanatical religious head banger for a Mayor - this part of her erroneous and misguided campaign to maintain "Islamic morals" she has already caused untold economic misery by closing down gang Dolly. Stupid bitch.

Comment

the sad thing is, if you put aside the extreme stuff, she actually does a great job as Mayor and is very popular.....she almost threw her hat in the ring for Governor of Jakarta!

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                            Fanatical religious head banger for a Mayor - this part of her erroneous and misguided campaign to maintain "Islamic morals" she has already caused untold economic misery by closing down gang Dolly. Stupid bitch.
                            When is she going to "crack down on models not wearing head scarves"?
                            http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/wo...rves.html?_r=0

Comment

http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=...q3cYvDYO7uc3NQ
                              [FONT=comic sans ms]"The body needs food, the souls needs Zikr, the mind needs fikr, and the heart should always be doing shukr"[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X