Surabaya to become alcohol free city

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anglian View Post
    I will have to brush up on my beer making skills, haven't needed since Saudi, have to say though my wine did need some more effort
    That is exactly what I am doing in preparation for this ban (if it actually happens - I have a feeling it is just another one of those stories that gets created to get people to read the paper. Also I have a feeling if the Surabaya mayor did really say that - it is just one of those things said to get positive attention from certain people just before Ramadan. How many times have we heard the annual "Indonesia will ban alcohol" gibberish.

I am in the UK now for the next year or so, working to pay off some debt awuired from getting ripped off by cowboys building our house in Indonesia.

Anyway, I have already got a demijohn of elderflower wine fermenting nicely. Also going to be making beer from grain. Bought 3 types of malted barley, 2 types of hops and all the equipment needed to brew some lovely beer. Just waiting for my 21litre boiling pan to arrive in the next couple of days. All this equipment, eventually, will be coming to Indonesia, regardless if there is a ban or not. All I have to do is work put how to source malt and hops in Indonesia - an alcohol ban will make this much easier.

I have also read recently, I think it was on Jakarta Coconuts, that alcohol is going to be available in Jakarta minimarts again. It seems that they realised how silly that ban was too, hopefully it will encourage Bintang to be sold again in minimarts across Indonesia.

Comment

• Originally posted by tokektokek View Post
      That is exactly what I am doing in preparation for this ban (if it actually happens - I have a feeling it is just another one of those stories that gets created to get people to read the paper. Also I have a feeling if the Surabaya mayor did really say that - it is just one of those things said to get positive attention from certain people just before Ramadan. How many times have we heard the annual "Indonesia will ban alcohol" gibberish.

I am in the UK now for the next year or so, working to pay off some debt awuired from getting ripped off by cowboys building our house in Indonesia.

Anyway, I have already got a demijohn of elderflower wine fermenting nicely. Also going to be making beer from grain. Bought 3 types of malted barley, 2 types of hops and all the equipment needed to brew some lovely beer. Just waiting for my 21litre boiling pan to arrive in the next couple of days. All this equipment, eventually, will be coming to Indonesia, regardless if there is a ban or not. All I have to do is work put how to source malt and hops in Indonesia - an alcohol ban will make this much easier.

I have also read recently, I think it was on Jakarta Coconuts, that alcohol is going to be available in Jakarta minimarts again. It seems that they realised how silly that ban was too, hopefully it will encourage Bintang to be sold again in minimarts across Indonesia.
      Thats the idea, be prepared, malt got in a bit of short supply in Saudi, so where there's a way there's a will, for some reason they sold alcohol free beer(?) but all is not lost, just pour the whole case into a bucket, add a little sugar and a pinch of bakers yeast(readlly available) in lieu of the Brewers yeast not being available after 3 days bottle, place in fridge to slow the fermenting process, bottles sometimes blow up, but usually it's not bottled for long as suddenly all your mates come round to help you prevent bottles exploding by consuming, I just pass this info on just in case, if you know what I mean.

Big raid today on TV, 6000 bottles if illegal Miras, Gosh must be Ramadan, appears there was a few ladies of the night at the establishment
      Last edited by Anglian; 14-06-16, 19:49.

Comment

• Ban everything because of what someone who doesn't exist might think

Comment

Working...
        X