No announcement yet.

Irma Bule dies from cobra bite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that posted articles about Irma Bule. (Why that stage name?)

I liked this one a little more.

http://time.com/4286323/irma-bule-sn...dut-indonesia/

It gave me more insight into the dangdut touring concert scene. Admittedly I have never attended one of these, but I am now curious. Apparently this is common. Has anyone gone to a dangdut concert like this?

I also don't know if she could be considered for a Darwin award. She reproduced three times already.

Comment

Originally posted by jukung11 View Post
      I also liked the article much more than this whole thread. Thanks for posting it.

Irma is a portrait of an Indonesian woman who happens to be at the lower level of society,” Supriatma writes. “She fights hard. She exploits what she can exploit to go on living.”
      She certainly doesn’t deserve to die amid a storm of lurid, tabloid headlines

RIP Irmawati.

Comment

Originally posted by fennec fox View Post
        Day 365, still waiting for the second story... The suspense is killing me.
        hahaha, me too, I though the same when I read that it was the first one, I was waiting for the second one!! or even to open a new thread about " weird things happening on planes" or Davita open a thread about his experiences on the planes over the world for so many years, it could be a fun thread to read.
        Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
          I also liked the article much more than this whole thread. Thanks for posting it.

RIP Irmawati.
          People who seek fame ( and / or fortune by way of fame) are rarely treated particularly well in death - and often not very well in life - by those in the press who helped to make them famous (or more famous): Anna Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Marilyn Monroe, Princess Diana (though one could claim - rather doubtfully, I think - that she did not particularly seek fame), Bonnie and Clyde, just to name a very few ... surely there are countless examples stretchng back to ancient history. Especially when their deaths - as was the case with all of the above - come in a manner which is deemed in some way mysterious and / or scandalous and which actually lends itself easily to the sensationalism which had followed these celebrities for much of their lives.

I am sure the Indonesian tabloid and social media have treated this about the same way they treat any and all celebrity news. which is to say, in a very exploitative and sensational, not very respectful manner, and no different from what the tabloid press in many western (and other) countries would do.

Celebrities like Irma count on them to sensationalize any trifling "story" about their lives and make it into something that will keep their name buzzing in the news and keep them abreast of or ahead of their competitors: Jupe, Dewi Perssik, Zaskia Gotik dll. How would we expect the same tabloid / celebrity media to treat a story like this then?

They are exploiting themselves for fame and fortune. I don't think their families can suddenly claim for them, in death, a right to discretion and sensitivity from the same media they counted on to keep their face and name in the buzz (though to be honest, I was only vaguely aware of Irma's existence prior to her death ... but then I don't follow the dangdut "scene" in more than a very casual manner, and only see brief snippets of "seleb tv" because my wife watches it).

I still don't understand why the performance wasn't stopped (regardless of what she said she wanted) and why she was not immediately rushed in the direction of the nearest RS with anti-venom ... did they think the snake had no venom?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
            Celebrities like Irma count on them to sensationalize any trifling "story" about their lives and make it into something that will keep their name buzzing in the news and keep them abreast of or ahead of their competitors: Jupe, Dewi Perssik, Zaskia Gotik dll. How would we expect the same tabloid / celebrity media to treat a story like this then?
            They are exploiting themselves for fame and fortune. I don't think their families can suddenly claim for them, in death, a right to discretion and sensitivity from the same media they counted on to keep their face and name in the buzz (though to be honest, I was only vaguely aware of Irma's existence prior to her death ... but then I don't follow the dangdut "scene" in more than a very casual manner, and only see brief snippets of "seleb tv" because my wife watches it).
            No offense intended but I think that you are miles away from touching the truth regarding Irma. Just for your information, Irmawati was NOT a selebriti. More like one of these thousands of kampung girls who perform in local marriage or local dangdut events for a meager salary. Someone who had very little in common with what you described save perhaps for willing to (badly) imitate a more senior dangdut artist, Dewi Sanca, who was one of the first to promote dancing with snakes .

Google-ing Irma's name wouldn't return you much beside articles about her death. Having a look at the sumber of the pics found to illustrate the articles would learn you that they mainly come from her social network account.

She has only been promoted as a "pop star" post mortem by tabloids. Mostly foreign one by the way. Local tabloids know that she was just one of many anonymous dangdut singer who will never reach fame. Promoting her as "pop star" in foreign tabloids certainly sells better than saying "an anonymous singer dies on a kampung stage due to a lack of awareness and safety measures".

Her "fame" has never crossed the boundaries of a few villages. Having a look at her house would tell you very quickly that she was no Dewi Persik or Jupe.

She came to perform the night of her death on her motor bebek (which by the way hasn't been returned to her family), not exactly the means of transport Michael Jackson, Amy winehouse or even Dewi Persik would have favored.

The impression you had that you were "only vaguely aware of Irma's existence prior to her death" may lie only in the fact that her name sound familiar. Who has never heard about an Irma or a Siti singing dangdut anyway?

Why the performance wasn't stopped and why she was not immediately rushed in in the direction of the nearest RS? I am pretty certain that you may have lived here long enough to reach a conclusion yourself. Most local event I have attended didn't leave me the impression that awareness and consideration for safety were a priority. Not long ago, in my city, a fire in a karoake left 12 people dead and dozens others severely injured, due to a number of incredible negligence.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
              No offense intended but I think that you are miles away from touching the truth regarding Irma. Just for your information, Irmawati was NOT a selebriti. More like one of these thousands of kampung girls who perform in local marriage or local dangdut events for a meager salary.

Her "fame" has never crossed the boundaries of a few villages. Having a look at her house would tell you very quickly that she was no Dewi Persik or Jupe.

She came to perform the night of her death on her motor bebek (which by the way hasn't been returned to her family), not exactly the means of transport Michael Jackson, Amy winehouse or even Dewi Persik would have favored.
              Fair enough, but would you dispute that she was aspiring to get to the same "place" of fame and fortune as a Dewi Persik, Inul, Jupe or Amy Winehouse? And, in the interest of aiding or pushing her career and success, would have welcomed the attentions of the tabloid press?

The impression you had that you were "only vaguely aware of Irma's existence prior to her death" may lie only in the fact that her name sound familiar. Who has never heard about an Irma or a Siti singing dangdut anyway?
              No, I have distinctly heard the name "Irma Bule" mentioned sometime before her death. I remembered it because of the "Bule" of course, not the "Irma" (which may have been the point of having such a name).

Why the performance wasn't stopped and why she was not immediately rushed in in the direction of the nearest RS? I am pretty certain that you may have lived here long enough to reach a conclusion yourself. Most local event I have attended didn't leave me the impression that awareness and consideration for safety were a priority. Not long ago, in my city, a fire in a karoake left 12 people dead and dozens others severely injured, due to a number of incredible negligence.
              I think that a few factors probably converged. She was evidently far too trusting of those who were providing the snake and / or of a manager who might have assured her it would be safe to handle it. Apparently and from what I have seen online she was mainly performing with python or anaconda (and with their mouths taped shut) and possibly with snakes who were familiar with her as she was with them. If she didn't know about cobra being venomous, I do not think it unfair to say she was "bodoh" to accept working with the animal, and if she did know, perhaps even more so ... Apparently there may have been some confusion about whether the animal's fangs and / or venom sac had been removed.

In any event, a tragedy of errors, and the comment:

beyond the bizarre, sensational story, there is something sad and sobering about Irma’s tale
              gets no argument from me.

(There was certainly nothing "salacious" in the brief article from the Washington Post which I tried to link in my OP, by the way. If it referred to Irma as a "star", I'm sure it was an honest mistake.)

Comment

Irma's family (parents and children) were guests at tonight's Dangdut Akademi 3 concert, and were addressed and comforted by many members of the jury, including Inul Daratista, Soima and others. Inul, in particular, addressed the dangers of performing with snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
                  Irma's family (parents and children) were guests at tonight's Dangdut Akademi 3 concert, and were addressed and comforted by many members of the jury, including Inul Daratista, Soima and others. Inul, in particular, addressed the dangers of performing with snakes.
                  Closure

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...itten-onstage/

(re-post of link)

Comment

In more depth:

http://news.detik.com/bbc-world/3206...gdut-irma-bule Detik

and

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36157050 BBC

Comment

Working...
                      X