Question about JIS affair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about JIS affair

For those of you living in Indonesia for some time: after the JIS affair, what would advise a family member (let’s say a cousin) that just got a job offer in Indonesia? Take it or forget about it because the risks are too high.

Thanks for your insights!

I suppose it depends on the job... JIS was an unusual scenario. There is a lot of speculation (which seems correct) that the reason this absurd case was allowed to get started was money , and that it has continued based on the desire of involved parties to "save face".

What I mean is that persons in more mundane circles are likely to be involved in more mundane affairs. The worst thing most expats face has got to be some traffic cop or minor official trying to squeeze a small bribe out of said expat for a fictitious traffic violation or some such.

Returning to the JIS thing, though, I don't really want children to come to my house (to play with my son), unless they are accompanied by a parent. That specific issue has had a specific effect. It has also been one more sad story about how far Indonesian governance still has to go...

Comment

Originally posted by brazucanyc View Post
      For those of you living in Indonesia for some time: after the JIS affair, what would advise a family member (let’s say a cousin) that just got a job offer in Indonesia? Take it or forget about it because the risks are too high.

Thanks for your insights!
      Your question is too broad to answer definitively. What kind of job? Where in Indonesia? Is cousin male or female, coming alone or with a spouse and children? Does she like nightlife or is she a homebody? What is the alternative to a job in Indonesia?

Generally speaking I think Indonesia is a pretty safe place. Yes, there are exceptions. But the entire world is a dangerous place. Indonesia is no better or worse than a lot of places.

Comment

Nobody is walking into schools here and shooting people. Overall much safer here than any big city in the US.

Comment

The concern is not necessarily about safety but on the possibility to be unjustly accused/shaken down (JIS, oil and mining executives, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by brazucanyc View Post
            The concern is not necessarily about safety but on the possibility to be unjustly accused/shaken down (JIS, oil and mining executives, etc)
            The bottom line as the JIS case shows, is that YES it could happen to any of us, but in reality it probably wont.

Comment

Working...
            X