Mass Layoffs (with list of companies)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
    OP, i used to work in one of the workplace mentioned, and i know for sure, that their lay off process is basically because business is not good worldwide, and there has been some political conflict involved.
    honestly IMHO, i dont see any point of having those lists. to me , that list just looks like "yeay! another company is down.. i can add it in my list" , and you never try to find out the reason whether it's because of internal issue, or because they think the country is not the right place to be.
    My friends and relatives work in astra. there has been some cutting off program. but it has got nothing to do with the economic. actually since several years ago, they have the "early retirement" , "entrepreneurship" program for their employees. so they can choose if they want start their own bizz. some become freelance mechanics, some try to open their own shops.
    dont get me wrong, i hate what the labor union did to factories, i also had to face their brutal actions.

and... what are your suggestions ???

The reason for the list is to monitor & (hopefully) bring to the attention of the government that the problem is real & serious (otherwise the government will continue to be in denial, see post #5 & #14). It doesn’t matter why companies are closing, what matters is the increasing unemployment rate and the need to create jobs by making hiring easier. Indonesia is fortunate it can afford so many infrastructure projects now, otherwise it would have been worse. But what if the money runs out?

So my suggestion, amend the 2003 Labor Law (more about it on http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...licy-Labor-Law) as it is not business friendly at all (fransgg said it well, see post #17). In our company, we hate to let go of good workers after the end of their 2 year contract, and hire new ones to train again. But we cannot hire them as permanent as it will disadvantage us in the future. Nevertheless, we have had some permanent workers at a ratio of 1:10 (one permanent for every ten temporary).

Comment

If they are good workers, y not hire them?
      Cos they are, you know, good?

Just factor in the cost of separation in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilled. View Post
        If they are good workers, y not hire them?
        Cos they are, you know, good?

Just factor in the cost of separation in.
        Hi Chilled,

if you do, then your labor cost will be very expensive especially in labor Intensive Industries.
        and imho the severance payment is not easily to calculate/predict accurately since to calculate the severance, we have to use the latest pay slip as the salary base.

Best Regards,

Comment

Yes fransgg, it will be very expensive. And once you start making them permanent, sooner or later the ratio will be reversed. Right now we have reason not take them, “quota is full”. So we have to stick to the quota and the ratio should be maintained, and they understood that.

39. Mitsubishi
          40. Kawasaki
          41. LG
          Last edited by sul1995; 19-02-16, 08:42. Reason: Add list

Comment

Originally posted by fransgg View Post
            Hi Chilled,

if you do, then your labor cost will be very expensive especially in labor Intensive Industries.
            and imho the severance payment is not easily to calculate/predict accurately since to calculate the severance, we have to use the latest pay slip as the salary base.

Best Regards,
            Fair point. But to me, good workers are worth their weight in gold. In jakarta, platinum probably.

Yea severance is definitely a factor, its so friggin scary how fast it accumulates.

Comment

Here is a question, could these lay offs be getting rid of the employees the companies hired so they can bring in outsourced workers maybe as a way to save some money?
              Lucky 13

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTex View Post
                Here is a question, could these lay offs be getting rid of the employees the companies hired so they can bring in outsourced workers maybe as a way to save some money?
                Hi ChrisTex,

i dont think so, the current layoffs are more due to economic conditions..., not cost saving measures... This severance payment laws has been in effect since 2003. Most companies already using as many as possible for outsourced workers since then.

Best Regards,

Comment

42. Ramayana Depok
                  43. PT. DMC Teknologi
                  44. PT. Oksuma
                  45. Bank Danamon
                  46. Conoco Phillips
                  47. Star Energy

Comment

Working...
                  X