- For making them come across / perceived as 'good'
    - For fashion
    - Because they are forced to by family

Leave a comment:

• Missnaughty
    replied
    Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
    [FONT=arial][COLOR=#262626][SIZE=2]
    However, I completely agree with her statement that there are two extremes: women being forced to wear the jilbab and women being forced to take it off and each is rooted in the same sickness. Wearing the jilbab is done to please Allah, not yourself.
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    Exactly!! IT IS FOR ALLAH.. not for the scared of being molested by men!

Leave a comment:

• sul1995
    replied
    Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
    [FONT=arial][COLOR=#262626][SIZE=2]
    However, I completely agree with her statement that there are two extremes: women being forced to wear the jilbab and women being forced to take it off and each is rooted in the same sickness. Wearing the jilbab is done to please Allah, not yourself.
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    Some public schools in some Indonesian cities “force” students (girls) to wear jilbab with their uniform… starting young, I guess. Now those public schools look more like religious schools. One day, “uncovered” women will become a rarity, they will stand out from the crowd, and beautiful to look at (age doesn’t matter anymore).

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Dan, I hear the exact same argument here in Indonesia, jilbab is part of their culture. Very low connection with Allah. And your argument will aply as same.

The difference is as ARAB the jilbab is really part of their culture, the common dressing for desert life.

Not so much for humid tropical forest!

I also agree with you about being still in confrontation with herself.

Leave a comment:

• DanInAceh
    replied
    [FONT=arial]For all of her claims that removing the jilbab was a ticket to self-realization, she certainly sounds VERY conflicted in the article. For the author, the jilbab is part and parcel of her identity. She also references the Qur'an, but says so curiously...

"[COLOR=#262626]Some would argue it is a requirement to cover a woman's hair and adhere to an understood "modest" dress code referenced in the Quran, the Muslim holy book. They consider it a religious duty. A must. I once did, too."

[SIZE=2]It's not up for debate; men and women must cover their 'awrah. What is a matter of interpretation is the degree, not that they must (or must not) cover their heads.

The author's stance is that the dress is attractive to her not because it is pleasing to Allah and a sign of devotion and submission (which is all that Islam is), but a core part of her identity. I can understand this position, but it's not an Islamic position. Her identity as an Arab (see her LinkedIn profile) is what drives her interest in the jilbab. I don't know if that's any more or less of a valid reason to talk about the dress the way that she does, objectively it's not, but she cannot say that this is a choice she made on the basis of her belief (and I don't think she is making that argument in the article). If people prejudiced her on the basis of wearing the jilbab, that is her fate and her jihad. That is part and parcel of being a Muslim, being of the ghuraba, the strangers.

[/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Leave a comment:

• johntap
    replied
    Originally posted by Kroshka2007 View Post
    .. that is a great article
    Agreed. And most people I've shown the article to, who all wear jilbabs, agree as well - that it's a great article.

Leave a comment:

• Kroshka2007
    replied
    .. that is a great article

Leave a comment:

• sul1995
    started a topic Removing hijab, finding myself

Removing hijab, finding myself

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/06/op...emoving-hijab/

She can do it and tell the world… not going to happen in Indonesia.
Working...
X