Jokowi to Allow Dual Nationals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jokowi to Allow Dual Nationals?

Interesting article today on Jakarta Post.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...ns-abroad.html

I'm taking this news with a grain of salt; we have no idea what form this pledge will take if it ever takes off at all. Still, this is perhaps the biggest area of concern for those of us with cross-cultural marriages. I am curious if this will mean that those of us foreigners so inclined could become dual nationals of Indonesia and our country of origin? I doubt it, but even if it just meant our children could be dual nationals past 18 (21) it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
    Interesting article today on Jakarta Post.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...ns-abroad.html

I'm taking this news with a grain of salt; we have no idea what form this pledge will take if it ever takes off at all. Still, this is perhaps the biggest area of concern for those of us with cross-cultural marriages. I am curious if this will mean that those of us foreigners so inclined could become dual nationals of Indonesia and our country of origin? I doubt it, but even if it just meant our children could be dual nationals past 18 (21) it would be a huge step in the right direction.
    It might also be very useful for those WNI spouses that took other citizenships and lost their original. Both my wife (WNI) and I (UK) immigrated and became Canadians in 1990. I became dual (UK and CDN) and she lost her WNI status.

We now live in Bali/Jakarta......I'm on a retirement visa and sponsor my 'foreign' wife....ironic?

Anytime we have an argument I remind her she could be deported...

Comment

This part of the article give me giggle!

“Our recent policies have helped us reveal to the world that we are committed to opening up our economy,” said Retno.

When you know depnaker (menpower) is doing the exact opposite and reduce the number of foreign worker of more than 10% in the last 3 year.
      They are now backing up as many of their new rule are nothing more than over the top.

Anyway, if they can allow double nationality for the native it will be a good step in the right direction.
      But still, when you know indonesian abroad can have trouble if they don't report every 5 year... I would not hold my breath on this.
      La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Working...
      X