Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AgusKurniawan
    replied
    Indonesia needs to be careful that the demographic bonus doesn't turn into a demographic burden... especially youth unemployment has risen, check out: http://www.indonesia-investments.com...yment/item5671

Leave a comment:

• sand86id
    replied
    When several people have a hard time understanding what you meant, you probably want to hone more on your explanation skill.. it is indeed much better instead of relying on people coming to their own conclusion... This is where many misunderstandings roots from, "coming to their own conclusion". So, you might want to rethink about using that let-people-guess approach.

Thanks whatever & phil for the clarity...

I think the western impact has been good overall... They are more open and frequently letting their feelings out than holding it in, more confrontative even... which is much better
    With holding it in, usually someday you will 'explode' and have a BIG fight, leaving big scar and harder to heal... Some others use the 'art' of talking behind people's back which more often than not, cause very bad effect/atmospheres toward that person....

In case of getting drunk, even people in the village (not influenced) has their own natural alchohol (tuak) made from fermented coconut, glutinous rice, etc... So, i dont think being drunk is that much native to it being considered as western. Korean has soju, japanese has sake... etc etc. In case of clubs/bars, some people i know get drunk all the time, making their own 'arak', without going to clubs/bars.. while some others go to clubs/bars just hanging out letting off some steam, having couple of beers, interact with people. So, i really think it highly depends on the individuals themselves...

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
    In my experience there does seem to be a split in the general "yoof" population. The divide as I see it is more along economic lines, as it seems the kids exposed to western influence tend to be much more forward thinking and entrepreneurial. The kids that I have seen grow up in our own social circle tend to be very westernized in their outlook on life, nearly all are or want to pursue their own ideas in businesses such as catering, hairdressing and beauty, fashion and clothing. Hardly any of them actually want to work full time for anyone else. This I think is down to the fact that in a "job" they would face restrictions on both what they could do and what they could earn. That's supposing they could even get a job in the first place. For example a friend of ours has a son that wants to open a bengkel specializing in luxury cars, when he told me I was surprised as he doesn't know a spanner from a socket. When I asked him how he would do this he simply said he would hire in the specialized manpower as needed and manage them. I had to acknowledge his ambition as there aren't many young people aiming to go into the automotive business expecting not to get their hands dirty.
    Glad to reas this.Out of job they are create their own and they understand their is no real future at being an employee in indo. It sound positive

Leave a comment:

• whatever
    replied
    Hi papa phil, miss you!

The critical thinking should come from family, i.e, how the parents raise the children, are they allowed to express their feelings and opinions (of course in the right polite way), which I am sure, not many parents or families in Indonesia do that. Second, it comes from how teaching and learning system is done, i.e, not only the teacher allowing the students to be active in terms of asking questions, but also, how teachers encourage students to find, dig the knowledge in a more independent and less traditional way. In that case, it is difficult for school with large classes, like many schools in Indonesia. I say family and school have big role in the critical thinking development because that's where the young generations come from.

And no I don't think so, in universities we are encouraged to be more active and critical in class.

In my case, I am not sure ya. Maybe yes, maybe no, or maybe because I live in the big city so people think or bevahe differently from those who live in rural or remote places or outside Java?
    Last edited by whatever; 27-06-15, 16:32.

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Originally posted by whatever View Post
    Phil, yes that is maybe one of them, wearing something that is not suitable for Indonesian climate.

Btw my experience is different, I encourage my students to ask questions in my class, I'm open to discussions.
    And my lecturers are open to us too, they are happy when us students ask them questions and think critically.
    Hi whate, long time no see!
    Do you will agree that the critical mind is not find at all in elementary school and rarely find in university?
    Do you consider your case as the norm or an exception?

Leave a comment:

• dramaqween
    replied
    Tokektokek and PhilippeD, the answer has been well explained by Whatever above.

Leave a comment:

• whatever
    replied
    Phil, yes that is maybe one of them, wearing something that is not suitable for Indonesian climate.

Btw my experience is different, I encourage my students to ask questions in my class, I'm open to discussions.
    And my lecturers are open to us too, they are happy when us students ask them questions and think critically.
    Last edited by whatever; 27-06-15, 16:01.

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Originally posted by sand86id View Post
    What do you mean by "adapt their knowledge"? As in apply the knowledge? I dont get it.
    As she said it's at us to decide what she mean...

She talk about stupid kid that wear winter coat in indonesia. They definitvely have no idea of what mean "the cold of a canadian winter"... As same of the one dreaming of snow.

She talk about indonesia copying western style house in indonesia. They don't have the basic knowledge that house in western are make for keep the heat inside... While abandonned old style java house are design for keep the heat outside... They don't even know old java house are way more confortable than "modern house" and don't understand why at the minute the electricity drop their house become unliveable.

Copying from other culture without knowing the "why".

This can also be related to the schooling system who strongly use the "learn by heart and don't ask question"

I see it daily in all kind of situation: don't ask quesation!
    Asking question in class is not welcomed
    Asking question to your boss is unthinkeable - you will be called arrogant
    Solving problem without asking question without consulting is the way to go. Wondering why nothing change (or thing getting worse) is also the way to go!

Leave a comment:

• whatever
    replied
    I think what dramaqween is trying to say is how the younger generations take it what people call as 'western culture' in the negative way. Contrary to what scoot has explained above, about how young people who brought up in the western countries or culture tend to be more independent and entrepreneurial, dramaqween may point out those who prefer to spend their young age go clubbing, get drunk, pacaran a lot, but not having the traits or quality like what scoot mentioned above. So there is probably lack of balance in the way they live their life. It should probably be work hard play hard, but how they do it is work slow play hard instead. And those might come from TV shows or movie or TV series of one of which I see it myself, like Gossip Girl. They see what's on TV and they copy it. Yes, I may be wrong and CMIIW, I was just trying to understand and explain what I think about what dramaqween is trying to say.

Leave a comment:

• tokektokek
    replied
    Originally posted by dramaqween View Post
    Listen, kebule-bulean is my term of describing "an adaptation of western culture which is not done in the right way."
    If you read ScooterIndo's post above me, that's what I call "adapting western culture in the right way". But the thing is, most Indonesian youngsters can't distinguish between "adapting western culture in the right way and not in the right way". Which is what I call sickening.
    Ok, so what is it it that you are calling the wrong way about western culture, what exactly is it that sickens you?

Leave a comment:

• dramaqween
    replied
    Originally posted by tokektokek View Post
    What exactly do you mean? I assume by bule you mean someone who didn't happen to be born in Indonesia. I do wish people wouldn't use that silly word, and that is quite a big generalisation if that is what you did mean - are you saying there is a certain way that people who were not born on Indonesia act? How do they act?

And what the hell is kebule-bulean? What a random phrase. Your other comment above about Indonesians acting kebulean-bulean did not make any sense at all. I can not connect it to jstar's comment which you were replying to -please elaborate.

I have noticed quite a few of your posts that seem to be extremely confused or trying to wind people up/get people to bite.
    Listen, kebule-bulean is my term of describing "an adaptation of western culture which is not done in the right way."
    If you read ScooterIndo's post above me, that's what I call "adapting western culture in the right way". But the thing is, most Indonesian youngsters can't distinguish between "adapting western culture in the right way and not in the right way". Which is what I call sickening.
    Last edited by dramaqween; 27-06-15, 15:30.

Leave a comment:

• ScooterIndo
    replied
    In my experience there does seem to be a split in the general "yoof" population. The divide as I see it is more along economic lines, as it seems the kids exposed to western influence tend to be much more forward thinking and entrepreneurial. The kids that I have seen grow up in our own social circle tend to be very westernized in their outlook on life, nearly all are or want to pursue their own ideas in businesses such as catering, hairdressing and beauty, fashion and clothing. Hardly any of them actually want to work full time for anyone else. This I think is down to the fact that in a "job" they would face restrictions on both what they could do and what they could earn. That's supposing they could even get a job in the first place.

For example a friend of ours has a son that wants to open a bengkel specializing in luxury cars, when he told me I was surprised as he doesn't know a spanner from a socket. When I asked him how he would do this he simply said he would hire in the specialized manpower as needed and manage them. I had to acknowledge his ambition as there aren't many young people aiming to go into the automotive business expecting not to get their hands dirty.

Leave a comment:

• tokektokek
    replied
    Originally posted by dramaqween View Post
    Of course there's nothing wrong with a bule acting like a bule because it's their culture. But when Indonesians start to act like a bule, they tend to forget their own cultural values and assume that bule's life is like in hollywood movies, which is plainly ignorant. I'm more pointing out that it's bad to adapt western culture if it's not done in the right way, rather than saying that your culture is sickening.
    What exactly do you mean? I assume by bule you mean someone who didn't happen to be born in Indonesia. I do wish people wouldn't use that silly word, and that is quite a big generalisation if that is what you did mean - are you saying there is a certain way that people who were not born on Indonesia act? How do they act?

And what the hell is kebule-bulean? What a random phrase. Your other comment above about Indonesians acting kebulean-bulean did not make any sense at all. I can not connect it to jstar's comment which you were replying to -please elaborate.

I have noticed quite a few of your posts that seem to be extremely confused or trying to wind people up/get people to bite.

Leave a comment:

• dramaqween
    replied
    Originally posted by sand86id View Post
    What do you mean by "adapt their knowledge"? As in apply the knowledge? I dont get it.
    Lazy to explain. Relate my answers by yourself.

Leave a comment:

• sand86id
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X