No announcement yet.

Future of Young Indonesian Generation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't that depend on the local economy? Which again is depending on the governing and external factors? So if the current government keeps up the 'good work' and brilliant measures as insourcing fail, if the real estate bubble bursts, if the Japanese and Koreans stop investing, or the Chinese economy goes down the drain, we haven't hit rock bottom yet.
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
      Oh well, in a country where all these construction/warung/kaki5/security/parking-attendant workers and household staff residing in the cities, are not registered, still have their KTP in the kampung, don't pay taxes and are not even aware of a BPJS, it seems to me almost impossible to put any realistic number on unemployment.
      This is a true and accurate view of how I see the situation also, I don't see how they can accurately translate employment or unemployment figures when so many young people are employed in the "informal sector" whereby they are paid a day rate for cash in hand and are not registered in the area where they work. Here in Bali the majority of the construction laborer's are from East Java and I bet dollars to doughnuts none of them have a Bali KTP or any legal paperwork to either support them being here or their entitlement to work here. They just leave their home towns in search of work and take what they can get.

Comment

At the kampung near me, the men seem to have a multitude of odd jobs, hardly what I would call full time employment, it's the same whenever there is a road accident, how can so many people leave their place of employment just to ogle, it's the same with demos, take the FPI, do these men have jobs and their boss lets them off work or are they paid full time just for demos, so I think it is very difficult for anyone to give an accurate estimate of who is fully employed or not, it's another puzzle to me the amount of traffic, cars and motor bikes driving round during normal working hours, do the have jobs or just like driving around aimlessly

Comment

Self employed generally do not count towards being unemployed. Nor do under employed/part time people. (last page of the link I posted)

It is not that hard to accurately gauge unemployment with random and diverse sampling. There are discrepancies. I normally discard the highest and lowest ends of the spectrums based upon the bias of the points that the publishers are trying to make. All statistics I have seen published of Indonesian unemployment for under age 24 is over 20%. It is one of the highest in all of Asia. More than double than almost all other Asian countries. 10 times that of Thailand. The informal economy is not as difficult for economists to calculate to be off by that great of a factor.

"[SIZE=3][FONT=FranklinGothicDemi][FONT=FranklinGothicDemi]The largest share of employed youth in Indonesia remains in the informal sector" - from the [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]MINISTRY OF MANPOWER AND TRANSMIGRATION link I had posted. Informal sector work has been factored into the rate.[/FONT][/FONT]The world bank also reflects a similar rate.
          http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...A.ZS/countries

[/FONT]
          [/SIZE]Indonesia is not the highest in the world. Spain and Greece have around 50%. All societies have some difficulty with the youth entering the workforce. I do believe it can be an indicator of a structural problem. Look at how it is affecting Spain and Greece.

If you look, 90% of all unemployed (including youth) in Indonesia have a SMA education or less. Over 60% didn't even finish high school. Shocker.

Comment

Jukung has made a good point by mentioning this.
            Originally posted by 11 View Post
            Youth unemployment in Indonesia is 4-5 times higher than most other surrounding nations.

I am sorry if this is going to offend some. I know there are a lot of Indonesian teachers on this forum. Almost all my research pointed that Indonesia's education system is one of the worst for almost any developing country. Because of corruption and low standards, many of the youth are considered unprepared and unqualified for many jobs. This goes even if they are college graduates. An Indonesian education is largely not accepted in most of the developed world.

The lack of rule of law and corruption undermines every aspect of society.
            Also the uncontrollable birth rate issue like someone pointed out, obviously plays a big role as well. The situation is worsen by the fact that people who have many children are mostly the ones who are in the middle or lower working class where fulfilling their daily needs doesn't seem to be easy, and not to mention, affording education. Many factors, ranging from the old belief that the more the children, the more the fortune, to the lack of knowledge on planning pregnancies.

As for corruption, why can't they just adapt China's law on death penalty towards corruptors if they can sentence those drugs smugglers to death anyways?

Apparently the situation will remain this way or even getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
              That's a pretty picture, but I don't see that it has anything to do with the future of Indonesian youth.
              Sorry, I intended that post for the ""how are you today" thread and apparently was not paying sufficient attention when I was editing it. I will delete it from this thread.

Comment

what i can see in the youth generation of Indonesia are
                1. the young generation will be divided into people with high tolerance toward religious thing and people who has lower tolerance level. .. the gap is getting bigger
                2. instant generation. 30 years ago no one dares to ride their motorbike on the wrong lane/against cars . nowadays, you can see so many motorbiker drive that way. the number of 'how to get instant money' trick is growing exponentially ( begal, mom asking for pulsa, mom, am in jail, please transfer to this number bla bla)
                3. angry crowd. the younger generation is somehow filled with anger. they would easily get angry toward things that happen daily.
                4. narcissi heartless . if you have facebook, you can see how narcistic they can be. .. a lot of selfie-s .. and how they upload pictures of dead people from accidents/grilled dogs and orang utan .. they even make jokes about it .

but in the other hand we would also see
                4. creative groups , group that are creative and wants to build something new, that are eco friendly.
                5. care for the country troops.
                6. care for healthy life style.
                dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqween View Post
                  As for corruption, why can't they just adapt China's law on death penalty towards corruptors if they can sentence those drugs smugglers to death anyways?

Apparently the situation will remain this way or even getting worse.
                  I agree with the latter. But did you even see pictures etc. on the conditions in local prisons? Those hot shots have all facilities, even if not allowed; cell phones, internet and yes even tennis courts. Quite a difference with those poor sods who are with six in a holding cell.
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                    I agree with the latter. But did you even see pictures etc. on the conditions in local prisons? Those hot shots have all facilities, even if not allowed; cell phones, internet and yes even tennis courts. Quite a difference with those poor sods who are with six in a holding cell.
                    Ah yes, the severity of the bribery in this country has reached another level when a prison is like a luxurious apartment. Pak jokowi, fix this pls >_>

Comment

What I hope is the gov will give a little of slack in all kind of paperwork for support business creation.
                      I hope the gov would give real support the creation of personal business for all those young can get the chance to create their own employment.

I find it silly that the gov only focus on bringing foreing investment inside the country as a solution for indonesian people.
                      La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Ah yes, the severity of the bribery in this country has reached another level when a prison is like a luxurious apartment. Pak jokowi, fix this pls >_>
                        There is a case where a prisonner who murder a too much curious foreigner for protect his party just walk away of the prison after a very short time and never go back.
                        La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Coz it means almost all officials must kill each others

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
                            What I hope is the gov will give a little of slack in all kind of paperwork for support business creation.
                            I hope the gov would give real support the creation of personal business for all those young can get the chance to create their own employment.

I find it silly that the gov only focus on bringing foreing investment inside the country as a solution for indonesian people.
                            If the education of Indonesia's youth doesn't take a very big jump towards the better, just what business will these new young business people create? My guess would be more warungs and food carts. Without bettering the education here, how can anyone expect anything to change? Especially for the better. It's not going to happen.
                            [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

The weird thing concerning business startups is, it could be the opposite of western countries. Over there, there is a need for more enterpreneurs, more smart people who leave the safe environment of their job and start something for themselves. Over here there are many young people starting a business, it seems to me there is a need for more bright persons in the large companies and governmental institutions.

But if you get paid 4 juta after getting your degree, and won't get anymore than 10 juta six years later, it is a rather easy choice. And even on that (educational) level the majority of startups is food or shop related.
                              [FONT=arial black]
                              [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                                If the education of Indonesia's youth doesn't take a very big jump towards the better, just what business will these new young business people create? My guess would be more warungs and food carts. Without bettering the education here, how can anyone expect anything to change? Especially for the better. It's not going to happen.
                                As for bettering education, that will take ages for Indonesia to catch up. If they do want to work on a better education, they should focus on the village and perhaps tidy up university standard. One thing that they need to work on is cutting down scholarship overseas. It's useless. You know why? What is the reason for Indonesians studying overseas? For a better education? Of course. Now tell me who are the recipients of this scholarship? Middle and upper class as they know where to get information about scholarship. I think AUSAID is reviewing its scholarship program. It is better for development organisations such as AUSAID or USAID to fund a better facilities at universities than paying some middle class Jakartans to study in Chicago or Sydney.

Comment

Working...
                                X