Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call for Mutual Respect During Ramadan - Seems Reasonable ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happyman,

Sometimes Indonesian people themselves don't care much about it, but funny, when the people who do that (do not 'respect') is non Muslim, they tend to judge.

It just happened last week when I was walking past 3 guys, 2 seem to be fasting and 1 is a tukang who was going to buy bottled water. The tukang was smoking and the other 2 said "Hey you smoking, this is fasting month." The tukang replied, "So what, I am just smoking not eating or dinking" (I was... 'what??!?') Then the other 2 said, "Ya but this is bulan puasa, jangan gitu dong".

Fasting is denying tempation yes, it's about self-discipline and self-control, also to show us how it is like to be the poor who cannot afford to eat and drink enough, so we have more sympathy for other people. Denying temptation by locking yourself in a room to sleep for the whole day is not suggested as it defeats the purpose of fasting itself. If someone works in food and beverage industry or restaurant and he can keep himself from eating then that's yes amazing.

I personally do not mind if my friend (who is Muslim, but not fasting for some reason i.e., in period or sick; non-Muslim) eating or drinking in front of me or when we are together. I mean, we're adults and we must have self-control. We cannot blame others for 'tempting' us to break fast, when they do not intend to do so. When I am with my friend who's not fasting and she eats yummy nasi warteg in front of me I won't complain (we are in her room or her house, not in public).

This is the same thing when I'm out with a friend who drink alcohol, for example, I let him drink whatever he wants and I will be just happy with my orange juice. I am happy to get my juice, he is happy with his beer; my friend who is unable to fast is happy cos she can eat, I am happy to just sit and watch her eat that yummy food while I am writing down list of food to eat in the break fast time. Easy.
    Last edited by whatever; 30-06-15, 10:49.

Comment

A radio station played “Kiss Me Quick” by Elvis Presley as requested by a listener. Thereafter, a caller called to say that the song is not appropriate during Ramadan as it is lustful. The DJ answered “you can request for a religious song if you wish”, the caller hang up. I guess the caller cannot think of a song as the program was "hits of the 60’s & 70’s", and there wasn’t any Islamic music yet made during that time. But the station did play “Amazing Grace” and “How Great Thou Art” (as requested by listeners) which are Gospel classics until now.

Comment

A positive message or tearjerking manipulation from the creators of Santa? Will leave it up to you to decide.

[FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

When I took part 2 years ago I'd safely say I was the only one in the office who wasn't Muslim and was the only one who consistently fasted every day, everyone else cheated at least once and some were multiple offenders (male, no excuse). Plus I only ate at night about 8pm. I didn't wake up at 4:30 just to stuff my face like most of the so called faithful. We can all easily live by eating once per day and it is not a big deal, only the lack of water element is the difficult part (and is unhealthy and I do not agree with).

all the staff in my office cheated at some point by eating something. Fair enough, who cares at the end of the day, certainly not them!

for an excercise which is meant to be about reflecting on what it is like to live like the poor, in Jakarta it has the complete opposite effect and is the most disgusting display of gluttony. Theywake up early and eat as much as they can (can the so called poor do this?) and at dinner time are feasting on 3 portions of what they'd normally order from a warung or if they are slightly better off are in a restaurant taking Advantage of one of the family paket meal deals all feasting like kings on a daily basis

now what is the point in that? Doesn't sound very Islamic to me or what the PM had in mind.. All the while they are covering up shop windows and closing bars, to avoid temptation... That is Absolutely pathetic. Muslims shouldn't drink anyway and 14hrs of fasting is hardly a hardship. The Muslims in Jakarta (predominantly) are an absolute disgrace to the whole principal and philosophy of Ramadan
          Last edited by Donting101; 24-07-15, 13:34.

Comment

The bars are "supposedly" not there for muslims in the first place. Why should they close? If it we're a 1-2 day holiday, sure, no problem. For an almost monthlong holiday it's certainly silly to enforce such strict rules on non-muslims.
            Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

As same as the cigarette! Not there for the muslim!
              La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                The bars are "supposedly" not there for muslims in the first place. Why should they close? If it we're a 1-2 day holiday, sure, no problem. For an almost monthlong holiday it's certainly silly to enforce such strict rules on non-muslims.
                Silly is putting it very mildly. I am still at a loss to understand why Islam enforces such laws whereby everything considered non Muslim is completely banned off hand for everyone out of a sense of deep seated insecurity. I think that Muslims are sold short on the fact they are nannied by the government like little kids that have no freedom of thought to decide for themselves. Look at churches for example, do they really think that Muslims will be tempted to go there, as if mesmerized by church bells and allow themselves to be converted to Christianity so easily ??

Comment

All the harrumphing about the imposition of Ramadan rules is pretty silly, itself. As if it is a surprise, a revelation that things get a bit overbearing during the month of fasting. You all know it's coming, you all know the drill, and notwithstanding that its is illogical and actually counter to the underlying philosophy of the period of atonement, forced compliance is culturally ingrained. I can point out, as well, that a bit of thoughtful preparation, the laying in of a supply of hard to get items, the planning of more private events, and so forth easily mitigates the impacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                    Yes thats a good point, but Im sure Muslims don't go to the Bars anyway, what I do find odd is all, or most of the TV adverts are about food, recipes for meals to make when breaking your fast, Snicker bars, I suppose you hide a bar in your pocket and have a secret nibble, perhaps they should ban TV anyway is it is giving bad thoughts

Comment

Working...
                    X