Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call for Mutual Respect During Ramadan - Seems Reasonable ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of items say bacon here. It's just beef or turkey bacon.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
      Lots of items say bacon here. It's just beef or turkey bacon.
      Sadly, it is usually "beef bacon", which is an abomination. Turkey bacon actually has decent flavor, but is rare because turkeys are not indigenous to Indonesia.
      This space is available for rent.

Comment

The funny thing is, the article pops up everywhere in the western press, mentioning it is a huge marketing blunder. Copying without checking. Nobody seems to know it's even perfectly possible to order a burger with 'bacon' in a fast food joint in countries with Muslim majorities.
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

Jstar, the funny thing is not about the becon taste, it's about offering it as a ramadan. Mubarak * which I have no idea of what it is - but anyway, linking ramadan with (fake) bacon is still... Heu... Interesting???
          La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Looking at this through 'western glasses' Phil. Nobody here links the word bacon to pork and nobody will be offended. Muslims in Europe perhaps...
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
              Looking at this through 'western glasses' Phil. Nobody here links the word bacon to pork and nobody will be offended. Muslims in Europe perhaps...
              Any word on how they are selling in the Middle East?
              "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Remember all the grocery stores in Abu Dhabi were selling 'veal bacon'. And they have turkey too. So similar.

Mekkafood is doing very well btw, exporting halal meat products to (mainly) Muslim countries. They are specialized on sausages, croquettes, etc. which contain in their original form pork and/or horse or blood.

ah, just saw this on a halal-or-haram website:

[COLOR=#444444][FONT=Helvetica Neue][FONT=inherit]Pringles 2014

[COLOR=#999999][FONT=Muli][FONT=inherit]DATE:[/FONT]JANUARY 30, 2014[FONT=inherit]–[/FONT] [FONT=inherit]POSTED:[/FONT]CONFECTORIES & SWEETS[FONT=inherit]–[/FONT] [FONT=inherit]COMMENTS:[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
                [/FONT]
                [/FONT][/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#444444][FONT=Helvetica Neue][FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]Haram
                Regular Burger (contains beef)
                Regular Grilled Steak & Onion (contains beef)
                Regular Roasted Beef (contains beef)
                Extreme Blazing Barbecue (contains beef)
                Extreme Smokin’ Ribs (contains pork)
                [/FONT]

[FONT=inherit]The following are all Halal[/FONT][FONT=inherit]
                Regular BBQ (alcoholic flavourings)
                Regular Cheese & Onion
                Regular Curry
                Regular Hot & Spicy
                Regular Chip’n Ketchup
                Regular Macaroni Cheese (alcoholic flavourings)
                Regular Margherita Pizza
                Regular Salsa
                Regular Mexican Fajita (Taco)
                Regular Original
                Regular Paprika
                Regular Prawn Cocktail
                Regular Rosemary & Olive Oil
                Regular Pizza
                Regular Salt & Pepper
                Regular Salt & Vinegar
                Regular Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar
                Regular Bacon
                Regular Sour Cream & Onion
                Regular Spaghetti Bolognese
                Regular Texas Barbecue (alcoholic flavourings)
                Regular Thai Sweet Chilli
                Regular Tomato Mozzarella
                [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Multigrain Classic
                Multigrain Sour Cream and Onion
                Extreme Flamin’ Chilli Sauce
                Extreme Exploding Cheese & Chilli
                Extreme Flamin’ Chilli Sauce
                Extreme Smokin’ Ribs
                Extreme Spicy Sour Cream & Onion[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by jstar; 25-06-15, 15:40.
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

Remember all the grocery stores in Abu Dhabi were selling 'veal bacon'. And they have turkey too. So similar.

Mekkafood is doing very well btw, exporting halal meat products to (mainly) Muslim countries. They are specialized on sausages, croquettes, etc. which contain in their original form pork and/or horse or blood.

ah, just saw this on a halal-or-haram website:
                  Are the lists labeled incorrectly?
                  "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This was a P&G e-mail to Muslim Consumer Group:

[COLOR=#3D3D3D][FONT=arial]From: "P&G North America" ([email protected])
                    Sent: Fri 7/06/12 2:53 PM
                    To: [email protected] ([email protected])
                    Hi Rasheed, Thank you for contacting Pringles and for choosing our products. We appreciate your interest in the ingredients and processing of our Pringles chips. Please be assured I'm sharing your comments with the rest of my team. I'm happy to let you know that alcohol is not an ingredient or a solvent used in the flavoring of our Pringles Potato chips. They are all alcohol free. Additionally, all our Pringles Potato Chips with the exception of the Bake Wheat Stix have been certified kosher. I hope this helps. Thanks again for writing us. Kadian S.Pringles Team[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    Last edited by jstar; 25-06-15, 15:40. Reason: But now Pringles is part of Kellogg, sold by P&G
                    [FONT=arial black]
                    [/FONT]

Comment

We don't realize what's in much of the food we consume. The 'faux pas' in the case of Tesco's was to single out an item to promote for Ramadan that had 'bacon flavour' in the name. If you are a serious Muslim, are you going to risk buying them, especially during the fasting month?

There is a general mistrust and confusion when it comes to ingredients in food products.

• Food labelling on most products presents people with more information than they can reasonably process, resulting in information overload. This often leads to confusion, misunderstanding and uncertainty which, in turn, causes scepticism and mistrust of food labels.

http://tna.europarchive.org/20100929.../foodlabreview
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Also,
                        [FONT=HelveticaNeue]Leading French food site Marmiton, has come under fire for publishing recipes for Ramadan.[/FONT]
                        [FONT=HelveticaNeue]While some users rejoiced on the chance of trying out the Ramadan recipes, such as chicken tajine, others took the opportunity to bombard the site with anti-Muslim comments.[/FONT]

Comment

Why is it that people are so stupid when it comes to interpreting religious texts? If I belong to a religion whose god is going to be angry at me eating foods that have had alcohol as a solvent along its processing chain, I'd already give my flounce prayer long ago. And this is while at the same time they're smoking, or cheating on their wife/husband, or taking drugs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
                            Also,
                            [FONT=HelveticaNeue]Leading French food site Marmiton, has come under fire for publishing recipes for Ramadan.[/FONT]
                            [FONT=HelveticaNeue]While some users rejoiced on the chance of trying out the Ramadan recipes, such as chicken tajine, others took the opportunity to bombard the site with anti-Muslim comments.[/FONT]
                            A somewhat different issue.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Another one
                              http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10351144.html
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm wondering if some of you aren't "out Musliming" the Muslims. I went out and got a bunch of snack food to eat in my (private room) in the office during Ramadan. Normally the odd-jobs guy goes out to get me lunch or cooks, makes coffee, all that stuff. I thought I would be polite an not tempt him by asking him to make me anything. He fasted for half of the first day. Then he made himself Indomie. Then three other people joined him. It's an open-plan office, with the kitchen in the corner. I'm the only person who apologizes when I make coffee or something. The other guys just walk around smoking, eating and drinking like nothing happened. I'm also the only non-Muslim.

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the fast? is it about denying temptation, or cleansing of the self, or something else? If it is about denying temptation, seems like it should really be a personal thing, and people who "help" are "nice", but people who don't aren't automatically doing something wrong. Seems more impressive, somehow, denying an actual temptation, as opposed to locking yourself in a cell without food and water for 14 hrs and going to sleep. Either way it is impressive, but if you can work in a restaurant all day and not eat, wow, that is some kind of amazing self-control.
                                Last edited by Happyman; 30-06-15, 06:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X