Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call for Mutual Respect During Ramadan - Seems Reasonable ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for Mutual Respect During Ramadan - Seems Reasonable ?

[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Helvetica]Minister Lukman Hakim Saifuddin’s call for Muslims who plan to fast during Ramadan to respect those not fasting has come under attack from Islamic conservatives.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Lukman, in a Twitter message on June 5, urged followers not to compel streetside food stalls, or warung, to close during Ramadan, when Muslims are obliged to fast during daylight hours.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“We have to respect the rights of those who are not required to or are not fasting,” he wrote.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]In a series of follow-up tweets three days later, the minister sought to clarify his earlier remark.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“There were two things that I wanted to get across with that tweet. First, there is no need to force any warung to close during the fasting month,” he wrote.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“If there are those who close their warung voluntarily, we of course respect that. But good Muslims don’t force others to give up their source of livelihood.”[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]The second point, Lukman went on, was the need for mutual respect and understanding for those who were not fasting.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“We are obliged to respect the right (to access to food/drink) of those who are not fasting because they are not Muslim,” he wrote.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“We must also respect the right of Muslims who are not fasting because of [certain] conditions (traveling, illness, menstruating, pregnant, nursing).”

[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=2][/SIZE]"Jazuli Jawani, a legislator from the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), said Lukman’s call for those who were fasting to respect those who were not was highly regrettable"[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.co...tive-backlash/[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#6E6E6E][FONT=Helvetica]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
    George Bernard Shaw

It is good that the Religious Affairs Minister has spoken out about this and made it clear that mutual respect should be shown.

For too long, groups of attention seeking extremist clowns operating under various names, have been getting their own way and getting things they want done through fear of violence and intimidation - very childish indeed.

For a minister to speak out and say that mutual respect should be shown, both to people who are fasting, and people who are not, is a great step in the right direction and it is nice to see them standing up to these silly little groups.

For the record, during Ramadhan, if people are fasting then I believe people should not eat in front of them and show respect and compassion. However not everyone does fast (not just non-Muslims, but as the article says - Muslims who are pregnant or travelling etc), and people should still be able to enjoy life without fear, and be able to eat food from restaurants and food carts without some clowns attacking them or yelling abuse.

The government really needs to clamp down on these extremist groups and make it clear that Indonesia is a secular country where everyone is free to do what they want while showing respect, understanding and compassion to everyone else. Every religion can co-exist here and everyone can show respect to each other - its not hard.

Comment

The article makes me wonder if the word "respect" has a different connotation in Bahasa Indonesia. The extremists seem to be interpreting it as more of "submission" rather than "courtesy".
      This space is available for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
        The article makes me wonder if the word "respect" has a different connotation in Bahasa Indonesia. The extremists seem to be interpreting it as more of "submission" rather than "courtesy".
        I wondered about that as '[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica]Lukman’s call for those who were fasting to respect those who were not was highly regrettable" sounds a bit extreme. [/FONT][/COLOR]
        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In reality,.. things are not so straight fwd.
          I've just been to a whiskey parlour in one of the malls. When I asked the Manager if they are open tomorrow, he said yes, but the owner has been "advised" to cover up the liquor cabinets and basically to keep it from naked eyes to avoid raids by -you-know-who.

Comment

Ramadan a time of peace, self reflection, fasting and prayer....................and also smashing the fuck out of anyone and anything that is deemed to be offensive with complete immunity from police action or prosecution.

Comment

I get really puzzled here some times, they make a fuss of people eating and Warungs opening, yet today watching TV, I would think 95% of the TV adverts are for food, showing people eating or drinking, why the fuss

Comment

While I don't believe places that can be avoided by those fasting should be closed, I can kind of see the warung argument (as far as street stalls) - it would probably be pretty tough and tempting for someone that is fasting to have to walk down the street past open stalls of food cooking with all the related smells and sounds....maybe they should have certain "designated" areas, away from normal foot traffic, for the food stalls to operate....

Comment

Well, resisting temptation is in fact a part of the fasting process. And racing home or to the cinema to have a huge fretting party during the evenings to compensate, isn't.

So am I not supposed to drink a coke because someone close by could have type 1 diabetes? Or not eat when a hungry beggar is watching through the restaurant's window?

I understand people don't like to work in a kitchen with all these smells while feeling hungry, and it must be hard, but that is part of the job. There are options then...
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

jstar I think you are misunderstanding my comment. Resisting temptation might be part of it, but temptation is there by mere hunger. I also don't think you drinking a coke is such a big temptation, unless the people around you have a nose like a dog.....and the beggar that looks in the window is doing it to himself from the perspective of this topic so is not on point with what I am saying (although I also understand why restaurants are encouraged to put curtains on the windows for similar reasons). I am also not talking about kitchen employees (that is a more complex discussion) but an interesting point.

I am talking about regular people that are fasting having to walk down narrow streets every day, maybe many times a day, that are crowded with open air food stalls - with the related smells and sounds of food cooking in their face at every step. I would never eat at a street stall because I don't care to take the health risk, but even so many times when walking past those stalls the smells are oh so good and so tempting.....can imagine how annoying it would be if I was fasting and had to go through that constantly......

Comment

Muslims who live in Europe, US, Australia etc and are fasting seem to manage quite well. I think it's clear that for, at least, the first half of the day those fasting aren't hungry as they have stuffed their faces between sunset and sunrise.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                        [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Helvetica]Minister Lukman Hakim Saifuddin’s call for Muslims who plan to fast during Ramadan to respect those not fasting has come under attack from Islamic conservatives.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]Lukman, in a Twitter message on June 5, urged followers not to compel streetside food stalls, or warung, to close during Ramadan, when Muslims are obliged to fast during daylight hours.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“We have to respect the rights of those who are not required to or are not fasting,” he wrote.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]In a series of follow-up tweets three days later, the minister sought to clarify his earlier remark.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“There were two things that I wanted to get across with that tweet. First, there is no need to force any warung to close during the fasting month,” he wrote.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“If there are those who close their warung voluntarily, we of course respect that. But good Muslims don’t force others to give up their source of livelihood.”[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]The second point, Lukman went on, was the need for mutual respect and understanding for those who were not fasting.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“We are obliged to respect the right (to access to food/drink) of those who are not fasting because they are not Muslim,” he wrote.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]“We must also respect the right of Muslims who are not fasting because of [certain] conditions (traveling, illness, menstruating, pregnant, nursing).”

[/SIZE][/COLOR]"Jazuli Jawani, a legislator from the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), said Lukman’s call for those who were fasting to respect those who were not was highly regrettable"[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2]

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.co...tive-backlash/[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#6E6E6E][FONT=Helvetica]
                        [/FONT][/COLOR]
                        I agree.. anyway when you are fasting.. what is got to do with warung or bars or wines? I understand that bars and places like that should cover up.. just to respect a holy month of Ramadhan.. But no need to close it or even an extreme move like raid it and stuffs..

Comment

I don't understand why they're worried, there's plenty of room in heaven.
                          The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

I wonder........

[SIZE=2]"[FONT=Helvetica]Jakarta City Council has threatened to revoke the licenses of organizations that carry out vigilante raids on restaurants and entertainment venues during the fasting month of Ramadan.[/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]“No mass organization is allowed to conduct a raid, it’s the state officials’ authority,” said Ratiyono, the head of Jakarta’s National Unity and Politics Agency (Kesbangpol)"[/SIZE]

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.co...ramadan-raids/[/FONT][/COLOR]
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I thought the FPI was never recognized in the DKI Jakarta? So what license is there to revoke?
                              [FONT=arial black]
                              [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X