No announcement yet.

sharia law in aceh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[COLOR=#333333] Furthermore when I lived at Indo , my wife who is christian told me most of her muslim friends had it done and she said it was more of a ceremony than a real clitoral circumsicion .[/COLOR]
    Really?.. I have not known FGM until i was in my early 20s, that is because I had an Acehnese boyfriend who once mentioned it in our conversation. I am from a Muslim family and lived in a majority muslim island in Indonesia. My Island is also known as "Pulau seribu masjid" (thousand mosque).. and grew up not knowing that FGM exist and I went to state school for whole of my life.. and none of my religion teacher ever mentioned about FGM.

The discussion about FGM started when Dan mentioned on post#2 that Aceh's norm actually is Indonesian norm.. including the commoness of FGM. I argued that FGM is not a common do for Indonesian Muslim girl.. But apparently, I definitely live in different Indonesia... .. Btw, I have lived in 3 island and 4 different cities in Indonesia.. and never heard about FGM until I said it .. My Acehnese boyfriend mentioned it to me.. Oh yes.. I am too familiar with Aceh culture and people..

In fact, I was trained to be an Acehnese wife.. but.. I am sorry, it was too hard, so i left..
    Last edited by Missnaughty; 18-06-15, 13:04.

Comment

In my experience all the Sharia by laws in Aceh tend to do is to serve as a warning about being too intolerant and fanatical with ones religious beliefs. As I said in my earlier post, whenever there is a case of teenage kids being caned for being in the same warung alone, or women being forced to wear Jilbabs, or girls being punished for wearing tight jeans for example. The rest of the country are left asking "what the fuck" instead of proudly glamorizing Aceh as the Islamic poster child for the rest of the country to aspire to. In my social network of friends and associates people are truly horrified by the barbarity imposed on the people of Aceh and as fellow Muslims, pity them their lack of freedom.

Comments such as "orang gila" and "fanatik agama" are the norm from the progressive middle classes of all age groups. I worked with a very pious young lady in Surabaya (she was very nice and we got along very well) she was from Aceh and said she would never return as there was simply no freedom there for her as a woman. She wore a jilbab and prayed 5 times a day, the freedom she craved wasn't to be able to wear mini skirts drink alcohol and go clubbing, but just simply freedom from male dominated oppression and violence.

Comment

About FGM:

This topic was for me unknown untill last summer when i found out that my daughter was exposed to this evil barbaric procedure, my wifes family (sister and mother) had it done without our knowledge some time ago. My beatiful little girl is now 5 yrs old and luckily unaware of what happened to her. I am furious though, my wife was also for a while but seem to have "gotten over" this issue since she herself and all females in her family had it done to them.

Would like to find out what I can do about this? Report to police or any other government department? Would my embassy be likely to support me in relocating my children? You see, I have a 3 month old baby girl now, and I'm terrified they will do it again...

Please advise.
        No one creed has a monopoly on spiritual truth.

Comment

The information provided simply lacks sufficient detail to offer specific suggestions. Generally, if moving beyond the reach of family members and/or to a country where FGM is a crime, as well as culturally anathema, I cannot imagine ever allowing "the family" any where near either of your daughters, even if under close supervision.

You also might want to give some thought to which is more important to you, your marriage or the physical well-being of you daughters.

Comment

[COLOR=#333333]Aceh is a basket case... whats new. so is the rest of Indonesia in its own way(s)[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by WaldenPond View Post
              About FGM:

This topic was for me unknown untill last summer when i found out that my daughter was exposed to this evil barbaric procedure, my wifes family (sister and mother) had it done without our knowledge some time ago. My beatiful little girl is now 5 yrs old and luckily unaware of what happened to her. I am furious though, my wife was also for a while but seem to have "gotten over" this issue since she herself and all females in her family had it done to them.

Would like to find out what I can do about this? Report to police or any other government department? Would my embassy be likely to support me in relocating my children? You see, I have a 3 month old baby girl now, and I'm terrified they will do it again...

Please advise.
              Female circumcision is legal in Indonesia, though it was temporarily banned (and lived on in the shadows). The rules concerning parental consent are another matter entirely, and I'd recommend posting this question in the law section to get an appropriate response.

Your female relatives will indeed do it again because female circumcision is obligatory in the tradition of Islam common in Indonesia. They may enlist your wife's aid/consent, too.

My wife and I had this conversation in Aceh, and we mutually agreed not to have it done to our daughters. My in-laws did want it done, but I argued that in my madhab (school or tradition) it is not necessary and as I am imam of my household it would disrespect me. They accepted this. It helps that my wife sees it as a nonissue.

My advice, if you want to maintain the harmony of your household and live in Indonesia near to your in-laws, is to approach them in terms they can respect and understand. Getting the law involved probably won't help you, sorry to say, despite the fact that it seems they did this in a clandestine fashion. Remember that this is your wife's mother, not some disposable, distant relative you can easily get away from.

If you're committed to not having this happen again, which is totally understandable, your only option is to live further away and not go to their home. These kinds of things are arranged by local women with someone they know. Your daughter won't be in danger of this happening if they come and visit you.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                You also might want to give some thought to which is more important to you, your marriage or the physical well-being of you daughters.
                This wouldn't be a guarantee that it won't happen, after all, will the wife never get custody? A wedge driven over matters of religion, an issue far more sensitive to Indonesians than the average Westerner, may actually ensure that it does happen.

If it's doable, his best bet is to relocate his family outside of Indonesia.

Comment

Yes, you are, of course, correct, Dan. Getting out of Dodge is the best advise.

Comment

Working...
                  X