sharia law in aceh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharia law in aceh

it makes me very sad for indonesia ,showing on the news the caning of its youth for for displays of public affection , it smacks of the taliban in afghanistan , I S in iraq and syria , when are they going to start beheading the people on tv ???

Whew! Thank goodness you don't live in Aceh, land of legalized female circumcision, virginity tests for female recruits, state sponsored Islamic schools and universities, blasphemy laws and prison sentences for apostates. Oh wait, that's Indonesia proper.

Comment

Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
      it makes me very sad for indonesia ,showing on the news the caning of its youth for for displays of public affection , it smacks of the taliban in afghanistan , I S in iraq and syria , when are they going to start beheading the people on tv ???
      What gets me is that the local administration keeps on knocking these laws out.

In the last few weeks there have been attempts to introduce single-sex schooling, bans on mixed sexes on motorbikes unless legally married, bans on female singing in public and then this week: proposed curfews on women. Pathetic really.

The rest of RI might have its problems, but it has a long, long way to go to match the patriarchal lunancy that goes on in the N tip of Sumatra.

On one point I do disagree with you, they have a whilst to go before Aceh can be compared with the so-called Islamic State.
      Vengeance is mine; I will repay.

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
        Whew! Thank goodness you don't live in Aceh, land of legalized female circumcision, virginity tests for female recruits, state sponsored Islamic schools and universities, blasphemy laws and prison sentences for apostates. Oh wait, that's Indonesia proper.
        your right dan , on my tour of indonesia thats one place i shall cross off my list , not my idea of fun

Comment

Sharia is a step backwards for human rights, freedom of choice and equality.

Everyone in Indonesia knows this and that's why these sort of headline grabbing stories have been reviled by the more progressive Indonesian society for years.

Comment

yep, preservation of culture & human rights are 2 entirely different things.
            The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

History proves time and again gods don't care about human rights - particularly women's.
              [COLOR=#008000][FONT=arial]I tried to wrestle my inner demons once... but they used too many illegal holds.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Regarding the 11pm curfew for women I've got a better idea, why not have a 10pm curfew for the Muslim men that seem to go around assaulting the Muslim women, that way the women can stay out all night with out the fear of assault

Comment

Originally posted by Vanhellsink View Post
                  History proves time and again gods don't care about human rights - particularly women's.
                  They are obsessed about nudity though (the Malaysian earthquake for example) which kinda lends some credence to the idea that the are a human invention.
                  Last edited by lantern; 13-06-15, 20:29.
                  "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A human invention, you say. How can that be? One of the most common threads of most religions is an elaborate construct of rules and traditions fashioned to place women in a subservient, powerless, circumscribed roles. That is evidence only that God is made of Testosterone. To suggest that the creator(s) of the various Creators are male in gender is purely circumstantial, speculative, or merely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                      Regarding the 11pm curfew for women I've got a better idea, why not have a 10pm curfew for the Muslim men that seem to go around assaulting the Muslim women, that way the women can stay out all night with out the fear of assault
                      I reckon the more they become stricter about policing morality of Acehnese people, the more unpopular this Sharia law it becomes. But time will tell I guess.

Comment

Anykind of law that would make my personal problem a public matter with a public punisment/humiliation would NEVER have my popularity!
                        La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Sharia law is imposed and by definition forced on communities giving society members, particularly women, no choice in the matter.

I was going to list a litany of verses from the koran that demonstrates completely immoral acceptances such as marrying prepubescent girls, stoning women and children, beating wives etc, but I'm sure many are already aware of the disgusting nature of these.

Believing in stone age books written by stone age men results in stone age thinking.
                          [COLOR=#008000][FONT=arial]I tried to wrestle my inner demons once... but they used too many illegal holds.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Sharia law is imposed and by definition forced on communities giving society members, particularly women, no choice in the matter.
                            That's sort of the "deal" with all law, no? Outside of direct democracy, I don't really feel like I've ever at any point had an influence on the law of the land, which is nearly always dictated by an elite cadre wherever or whenever you've been. Welcome to the real world.

I was going to list a litany of verses from the koran that demonstrates completely immoral acceptances such as marrying prepubescent girls, stoning women and children, beating wives etc, but I'm sure many are already aware of the disgusting nature of these.

Believing in stone age books written by stone age men results in stone age thinking.
                            Thank goodness you spared yourself from the embarrassment of finding out that pretty much none of what you listed is to be found in the Qur'an. Whew. Another bullet dodged. Neither the child marriage to Aisha nor stoning are present anywhere in the Qur'an. Both are derived from ahadith, the Sunnah. Striking your wife is found in the Qur'an, though, so I suppose you can console yourself with "1 for 3." Additionally, crucifixion (of dead people; Islamic tradition dictates that they're dead BEFORE they are crucified), amputation and (sort of, in combat) beheading are all to be found in the Qur'an. Go with that.

I would suggest that if you're going to comment about the "stone age" credentials of Islam that you should have some very basic knowledge of the faith outside of what you picked up from some blog.

That Muslims seek to implement the shari'a is not surprising; they reason that nothing could be better than "God's law." Where they are wrong, though, is believing that a modern, pluralist society can run well under such a framework. Demonstrating to them that secularism has a clear advantage is the way to go, and Muslims, like anyone else, can be shown its merits over time. Making pronouncements about their faith being stone age, however, will most assuredly have the opposite of the desired effect. It's a nonstarter, and frankly quite trollish.

Comment

Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
                              I reckon the more they become stricter about policing morality of Acehnese people, the more unpopular this Sharia law it becomes. But time will tell I guess.
                              This is absolutely true. History has shown time and time again that pathological, fanatical expression of religion cannot last because it collapses on itself. Nobody liked Oliver Cromwell, and with good reason. There's only so long that such fanaticism can hold up before the people long for a better way. In the case of Aceh, shari'a is seen as an expression of Acehnese independence. They cling to it largely because it helps them differentiate themselves from Indonesia, they see it at least as a lateral move, and usually as superior, to what they had before. With their past history, they see a great deal of systemic failure from a system that committed atrocities against them.

A future for Aceh starts either with an Indonesia that more appropriately supports and treasures its native peoples or with an independent, secular Acehnese state. Neither of which is going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X