Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmigration Continues... 4 Million to be Moved by 2019...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are quite some studies and written pieces on the Indonesian transmigration.

As so often, many of these are in Dutch (because of the obvious links with that country). So that's a shame.

These maps give an overview of the amount of transmigrants per province (also spontaneous) and also conflicts per area.

Last edited by jstar; 14-06-15, 11:02. Reason: Tests with picture sizes
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

Bigger pics

When you click on them (I hope):

Amount of spontaneous migrants (and their descendants) during the 1950-1980 period with Java and Bali as origin (departure). [source: World Bank, *= info not available]

Speaks for itself... [doden=fatal casualties, vlucht.=refugees]

Amount of transmigrants per receiving province:

Overview conflicts in Indonesia since 1998:

Last edited by jstar; 14-06-15, 11:29. Reason: added titles
      [FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
        There are quite some studies and written pieces on the Indonesian transmigration.

As so often, .........
        Can you source these maps pls Jstar. They are too small for me. Thanks

ETA: great. These can be made bigger on clicking. Thanks

Comment

Aiming at reducing poverty and controlling the growing population, the Indonesian government launched transmigration program in the late 60s. The World Bank reportedly earmarked a huge fund and offered technical assistance to the Indonesian government. Those migrants who registered to the program would be given land, house and whatever they would need to open up the land in the new place. But in reality, some migrants had to wait until the houses were finish. Running parallel to this program, there were also people opting to move voluntarily to less densely populated areas.

In early years of the program, the government transmigrated approximately 38,000 families. The number increased in the following years and peaked out in the late 90s before slowed down and finally halted when Suharto was forced to step down in 1998.

The program received much criticism particularly its contribution to deforestation in Indonesia. Many forest land were cleared for crops and rice.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
            yes PonyE, I would like to know in general, talking to my Dyak friend in Balipapan and the photos he showed of human heads littering the road, no it didn't, I also saw a TV documentary some time back and I'm afraid I don't recal where it was of Christians killing Muslims, so you seem most knowledgeable, did it work or not, I also wonder if East Timor would be included in this as the residents were violently opposed to becoming Indonesian also in Papua.
            Anglian, the photos your friend has shown you must have been from the violent conflict that erupted in the 1990s between Maduranese and Dayak people in Kalimantan. Maduranese people in Sambas (where the conflict took place) moved to Kalimantan as transmigrants. But I am not uncertain as to whether they're voluntary migrants or not. I don't think any Timorese were transmigrated out of Timor. But some say that Balinese and Javanese people have move to Timor during the program. Transmigration program was designated to reduce the number of people from highly populated provinces, mainly Java, Bali and Madura.

Comment

Shame the maps are in Dutch, aren't the annual fires that annoy Singapore and Malaysia, also to due with forest clearing by Suharto for the transmigration, the locals still keep up the practice of burning

When I worked in Balikpapan, our staff from Jakarta were very apprehensive of Dyaks, I had a chap cleaning his motor bike by the front door of our office, he was also smoking, I asked someone to tell him to clean his bike somewhere else and put the cigarette out, the response was, no you tell him he is a Dyak, so I asked nicely to move to the end of the car park and he did, no problem, but the Javanese seem very wary of Dyaks, they would tell me, "Oh, he is a Dyak" they all seemed very affable to me,
              Last edited by Anglian; 14-06-15, 11:32.

Comment

I will translate the map titles and add it to the post...
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                  Shame the maps are in Dutch, aren't the annual fires that annoy Singapore and Malaysia, also to due with forest clearing by Suharto for the transmigration, the locals still keep up the practice of burning
                  I am not sure if the locals use slash and burn technique to clear the land. But big palm oil companies can also be the culprit of those burnings. There might be some transmigrants involved in the burnings too.

Comment

Thanks jstar for those links.

Comment

transmigration is good and always good................., Indonesia is less/few experience with transmigration program in many aspect to make very succesfull to this program.

herbs and spices/seasoning is important while you are in isolated area and also doctor and medicine.....

i heard the primitif people walk for 3 days olny looking salt......, meat is enough.

we should realize we consume herbs and spices every day.......we travel for it and struggle for it.

Comment

Where, in Bandung? Poor Jaime, B_A and Happyman....
                        [FONT=arial black]
                        [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                          Where, in Bandung? Poor Jaime, B_A and Happyman....
                          Yes, Bandung. It's usually only two days, but you know how crazy traffic can be near Idul Vitri.

Comment

village for stay live to land owner better rather than house inside the farm land, so every land owner can stay side by side not in their land. this is to avoid animal, small animal and pest, mosquito.

in village we can found many goods to live, include salt, goods for information, another goods to live, goods for information and transportation, and goods for education tv may be and can see friend every day. and irrigation for land also first factor.

and laptop for internet making your dream come true in transmigration area.

saskatchewan-village-farmland.jpg

[COLOR=#ff0000]river needed[/COLOR] to cleave this village....................why?.....then the farm land
                            changing the name to barberque land or another tourism places..., but
                            if long rever here this place will more lucky.
                            Last edited by ten dollar; 10-07-15, 14:58.

Comment

Working...
                            X