Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MERS Outbreak, is Indonesia on high alert?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MERS Outbreak, is Indonesia on high alert?

The first case in South Korea was a man returning from Saudi Arabia, now there are 12 cases, and it has spread to China as one of them traveled there via Hong Kong. Indonesia is high risk due to large number of pilgrims going to Saudi Arabia. Is the government already on high alert? Or waiting for the first case to appear in the country before doing something? The local press is not even reporting the story, so many are not aware of the dangers and not taking "enough" precautionary measures when traveling to the Middle East.

http://news.yahoo.com/korea-reports-...093430108.html

Indonesia is still wondering what course of action to take about SARS

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
      Indonesia is still wondering what course of action to take about SARS
      Speaking of SARS, Indonesia was lucky in 2002/2003. Why? Because Indonesia is nearer from Hong Kong than Canada, but SARS did not come to Indonesia. In Toronto, hospitals were locked down, the subway was eerily empty during rush hour, people wore mask walking the streets, hand sanitizers suddenly became ubiquitous, and dozens of family received court-ordered mandatory isolation. Not least, without the sacrifices made by the courageous doctors & nurses (many had chosen to continue working during the crises), SARS would have spread much farther (possibly unstoppable). If it was Indonesia instead of Canada, do you think Indonesia can deal with it? Does the country have the resources? Are the health workers dedicated & qualified? MERS is a cousin of SARS, less contagious but more deadly. Latest news from South Korea, there’s now 15 cases since the first confirmed case on May 20th. BTW, according to CDC, hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based (i.e. non-alcohol based are useless). So can a Muslim use alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

Comment

Originally posted by sul1995 View Post
        Speaking of SARS, Indonesia was lucky in 2002/2003. Why? Because Indonesia is nearer from Hong Kong than Canada, but SARS did not come to Indonesia. In Toronto, hospitals were locked down, the subway was eerily empty during rush hour, people wore mask walking the streets, hand sanitizers suddenly became ubiquitous, and dozens of family received court-ordered mandatory isolation. Not least, without the sacrifices made by the courageous doctors & nurses (many had chosen to continue working during the crises), SARS would have spread much farther (possibly unstoppable). If it was Indonesia instead of Canada, do you think Indonesia can deal with it? Does the country have the resources? Are the health workers dedicated & qualified? MERS is a cousin of SARS, less contagious but more deadly. Latest news from South Korea, there’s now 15 cases since the first confirmed case on May 20th. BTW, according to CDC, hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based (i.e. non-alcohol based are useless). So can a Muslim use alcohol-based hand sanitizers?
        Yes, at least according to most jurists. Remember that even the Qur'an itself states that there is "some good" in alcohol, but ingestion and intoxication of "khamr" (wine) is forbidden.

I'm not all that worried about MERS. I got fairly convinced Ebola was going to be much deadlier than it was in West Africa, and that demonstrated a strong global public health response. I'd say flu remains the only really scary outbreak scenario.

Comment

Working...
        X