Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Superiority

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16918000

Right, Dr M left Malaysia in such a stable state it has never looked back.

Why don't you ask Anwar I, or perhaps his daughter,what they think of this article.
    Vengeance is mine; I will repay.

Comment

"European workers are overpaid and unproductive, Dr Mahathir believes."

That article is talking out its butt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...er_hour_worked

Most productive workers in the world? 1-20 are all "western" countries cited as "unproductive." Malaysia 48 on the list. Indonesia doesn't even make it on the list.

I also love how he glosses over the financial crisis he helped contribute to in the 1990s. How has the ringitt and rupiah been doing to the dollar again?

The fact that he cites producing coffee and gold as a basic part of a part of a modern economy, shows this 89 year old has little concept of what drives current economies. Economies are based on value added, not raw goods.

But hey. It provoked a response. That is all you were looking for right?

Comment

Originally posted by ferdian_0102 View Post
        That article is over 3 years old - 7th February 2012

Comment

http://www.idealistrevolution.org/27...eckhart-tolle/

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1634987605

Comment

24 april 2015. If you know how to analyze, any news from any dates isn't a matter.
              theconversation.com/the-bandung-divide-australias-lost-opportunity-in-asia-40484

Comment

Is there actually anything you wish to point out or to discuss along with the links you are posting? It is considered very poor form to simply post multiple links without any discussion from the poster. Especially old news links and random various FB links. This forum is not your personal blog.

Comment

Originally posted by ferdian_0102 View Post
                  24 april 2015. If you know how to analyze, any news from any dates isn't a matter.
                  So where is YOUR analysis?

Comment

I think some of us (expats) have previous experience working in EU, Australia, Canada, USA and now we are working here in Indonesia. If you could compare the productivity of people in the regions I mentioned before with Indonesian people working here in Indonesia in your own opinion where is higher productivity here in Indonesia or EU?

I have noticed that productivity is much better - higher in UK than Indonesia. In UK people are better organized, the tools/machines they use are better then tools/machines used here, always investing in equipment and in people, there are procedures deployed and workers follow them.

I have measured Labor productivity (Labor productivity is the value of goods and services produced in a period of time) here in Indonesia is avg. 45-55% on 24 h (3 shifts) scale (textile). In UK it was oscillating avg. 80-90% on 24 h (3 shifts) scale before recession (industry - printing x 2 different factories 120 and 800 people second one) and during the recession it went down by 1/3.

People often confuse terms efficient worker and hard worker.

However I fully agree with this sentence:

"I think you should go back to doing what I call real business - producing goods, providing services, trading - not just moving figures in bank books, which is what you are doing."

Comment

If a country doesn't like the "western" way of economics and civil liberty it can go its own way. Sukarno tried it before. Venezuela, North korea, China under Mao all had a go at it too.

also, "western" systems fall in a wide range of political variants which can vary markedly within the same country over time. It is disingenuous to suggest that all "western" countries are the same because they are not.

Some Asian political discourse wants to see the west as greedily rich while at the same time lazy and doomed. These commentators forget that western economies bootstrapped themselves after the Second World War and have been through cyclical growth and recession periods, having to adjust to circumstances. The U.S. is strong because it has been forced to change and because it gives it people the ability to self manage their llives. Some Asian economies have been reluctant to do both, in for more than a few cases the state exists as way for the ruling class to maintain power and this stifles change.

Comment

Some of us from the W aren't too enamoured with the Governments back home either.

There is an election in the UK next week and I hope for a change, hopefully some sort of Left / Centre coalition would be great with me.

One 'fact' published last week was that whilst the UK has been going through 5 pretty tough years of austerity, the top 100 fat cats have doubled their wealth in the last 10 years.

So there are problems, injustices and inequality in all of the W, BUT they still offer a preferable societal and democratic model to the much trumpeted East IMHO.

At the moment, there is hardly a single nation in ASEAN that seems to be going in the right direction
                        Vengeance is mine; I will repay.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                          So where is YOUR analysis?
                          ferdian_0102 will not be joining this discussion any further as that handle has been permanently banned. However his primary account of sutanferdian may login and continue if he so desires.

See here:

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...iple-accounts)

Comment

Originally posted by dafluff View Post
                            ferdian_0102 will not be joining this discussion any further as that handle has been permanently banned.
                            Ohhh nooo... I was enjoying the depth of his comments in the thread! You guys have killed all da fun now!

Comment

I remember back in the late 80's early 90's our then Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating telling the good Dr he was just a recalcitrant ..... lol ... the funny thing was that most didn't know the meaning of recalcitrant .... that Was Paul Keating
                              The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Working...
                              X