Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you really think happened with Budi Gunawan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do you really think happened with Budi Gunawan?

Is anyone here knowledgable with politics here, especially about what happens behind the scenes? What do you think is the real story about the new national police chief and his deputy? I don't believe for one minute what they feed us has any truth to it.

I think that it was all arranged beforehand. The reason Budi Gunawan accepted not getting the top job was because he was told he would get the deputy job when it all dies down. Then when Jokowi was abroad he quickly got inaugurated. I think long term Badrodin will leave the chief post and Budi will automatically become chief.

Anyone here with any inside knowledge or experience with this?

Slimy stuff and a betrayal of all Indonesians who voted for Joko hoping for a real effort to end corruption. An incompetent old lady is indeed running the show for the benefit of her corrupt cronies.

Comment

Interesting Question John, and good assessment from Warmie, I cannot add much except I know a retired police general, and he lives in fear of a knock at the door by KPK,mind from what he hints at, if he did get questioned, the bloody house would fall down

Comment

I was viewing the headlines in todays JP, it says Jokowi wasn't consulted about Budis promotion, as Warmie says, they just consulted the old Lady

Comment

Rumour has it BG is the old lady's love interest.

Comment

My theory based on rumors I heard from people somewhat in the know: BG was Jokowi's choice. They're both from Solo and have known each other since Jokowi was mayor there. BG was involved in Jokowi's campaign and was heavily involved in forming his campaign platform. BG is also very close to PDIP chairman Megawati, which again works in his favor. It is then not strange that Jokowi did propose for him to be the chief. Further Jokowi is reported to not get along with then Polri chief Sutarman, and had him "retired" even though he still had 9 months of eligibility for the post.

Then a little internal Polri spat happened, and documents pertaining to his bank accounts were leaked to KPK by officers in Polri not happy with BG. This faction consists of then Polri chief Sutarman, and his chief of criminal investigation (Kabareskrim) Suhardi and their followers. KPK head Abraham Samad (who is said to have wanted Jokowi's VP slot and was rebuffed on the advice of BG) took the leaked evidence and ran with it. Unfortunately for him, BG has a large and loyal faction within Polri himself (BG is known within Polri to be a generous commanding officer). His faction, including the new Kabareskrim Budi Waseso, successfully ousted Sutarman and Suhardi (who is rumored to be the leaker of BG's banking info) and then went after KPK. Budi Waseso was even quoted as saying that he will go after traitors within Polri, although he never said who they were.

Personally I think KPK's indictment of BG was more personally and politically motivated than out of a sense of justice or idealism. That is not to say that BG was innocent (this is Polri, you don't get to be a 3 star general without stashing away and also distributing HUGE money), but it was definitely not a good use of KPK's political capital. This has now backfired, and just about declawed KPK.

So in between this mess, Jokowi needs a way out and is having second thoughts about BG. He is pitted by his grass root supporters and the media who dislike the "corrupt" BG (corrupt in quotation marks because no matter who gets the job they will be corrupt), and PDI-P who insist on continuing with BG. Caught between hard choices, Jokowi forms Tim Sembilan, a consultative group to come up with a solution for the Polri vs KPK mess. He also appears with Prabowo (Gerindra Chairman, and his opponent in the presidential election) in symbolic message towards PDI-P to tune it down a notch.

A compromise was achieved, which is to name Vice Chief Badrodin Haiti as interim chief. This was a safe choice, as Haiti is not that well connected. In fact he was at some point unaware that his underling Budi Waseso has arrested KPK deputy chief Bambang Widjojanto in a display of excessive force which can only be explained as a message to KPK.

Finally Jokowi confirms Haiti as his choice for Kapolri, then allows Polri to internally decide the vice chief position. Polri chose BG, and it is almost certain that BG who has know placed quite a few of his supporters in strategic places will run the show.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
              Slimy stuff and a betrayal of all Indonesians who voted for Joko hoping for a real effort to end corruption. An incompetent old lady is indeed running the show for the benefit of her corrupt cronies.
              Absolutely spot on this is a reiteration of my earlier comment on the thread discussing the pros and cons of Jokowi and pabowo in the run up to the presidential elections earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by dafluff View Post
                My theory based on rumors I heard from people somewhat in the know ....
                Has the ring of truth, Dafluff, and very depressing as well as disgusting. Indonesian governance is a cesspool.

Comment

My theory based on rumors I heard from people somewhat in the know: BG was Jokowi's choice. They're both from Solo and have known each other since Jokowi was mayor there. BG was involved in Jokowi's campaign and was heavily involved in forming his campaign platform. BG is also very close to PDIP chairman Megawati, which again works in his favor. It is then not strange that Jokowi did propose for him to be the chief. Further Jokowi is reported to not get along with then Polri chief Sutarman, and had him "retired" even though he still had 9 months of eligibility for the post.

Then a little internal Polri spat happened, and documents pertaining to his bank accounts were leaked to KPK by officers in Polri not happy with BG. This faction consists of then Polri chief Sutarman, and his chief of criminal investigation (Kabareskrim) Suhardi and their followers. KPK head Abraham Samad (who is said to have wanted Jokowi's VP slot and was rebuffed on the advice of BG) took the leaked evidence and ran with it. Unfortunately for him, BG has a large and loyal faction within Polri himself (BG is known within Polri to be a generous commanding officer). His faction, including the new Kabareskrim Budi Waseso, successfully ousted Sutarman and Suhardi (who is rumored to be the leaker of BG's banking info) and then went after KPK. Budi Waseso was even quoted as saying that he will go after traitors within Polri, although he never said who they were.

Personally I think KPK's indictment of BG was more personally and politically motivated than out of a sense of justice or idealism. That is not to say that BG was innocent (this is Polri, you don't get to be a 3 star general without stashing away and also distributing HUGE money), but it was definitely not a good use of KPK's political capital. This has now backfired, and just about declawed KPK.

So in between this mess, Jokowi needs a way out and is having second thoughts about BG. He is pitted by his grass root supporters and the media who dislike the "corrupt" BG (corrupt in quotation marks because no matter who gets the job they will be corrupt), and PDI-P who insist on continuing with BG. Caught between hard choices, Jokowi forms Tim Sembilan, a consultative group to come up with a solution for the Polri vs KPK mess. He also appears with Prabowo (Gerindra Chairman, and his opponent in the presidential election) in symbolic message towards PDI-P to tune it down a notch.

A compromise was achieved, which is to name Vice Chief Badrodin Haiti as interim chief. This was a safe choice, as Haiti is not that well connected. In fact he was at some point unaware that his underling Budi Waseso has arrested KPK deputy chief Bambang Widjojanto in a display of excessive force which can only be explained as a message to KPK.

Finally Jokowi confirms Haiti as his choice for Kapolri, then allows Polri to internally decide the vice chief position. Polri chose BG, and it is almost certain that BG who has know placed quite a few of his supporters in strategic places will run the show.
                  Very interesting read. Thanks very much for taking the time.

Comment

Dafluff's theory is logical and the story line fits with rumours from people close to both jokowi and megawati. I agreed with him, AS has personal vendetta against BG.

Comment

BG was Jokowi's choice.
                      This.
                      Sorry to say but believing that Joko wasn't aware, wasn't in the loop, did not agree...etc is incredibly naive. Even frightening if anyone believing it has the right of vote. Wake up and smell the coffee. Joko is the President of the RI, not a waiter at your next door warung.
                      Last edited by atlantis; 30-04-15, 17:56.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                        This.
                        Sorry to say but believing that Joko wasn't aware, wasn't in the loop, did not agree...etc is incredibly naive. Even frightening if anyone believing it has the right of vote. Wake up and smell the coffee. Joko is the President of the RI, not a waiter at your next door warung.
                        not our commoner warung, but he is someone's elite cafe waiter for sure
                        Spider pig spider pig, does whatever a spider pig can

Comment

Working...
                        X