Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bali Body in the Suitcase Sentencing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bali Body in the Suitcase Sentencing

    I think there's another thread on this but I can't find it.

    10 and 18 years seems a bit lenient?

    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]"A US teenager who recently gave birth in prison and her boyfriend have been spared the death penalty for killing the woman’s mother and hiding her body in a suitcase in Bali.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]Heather Mack, 19, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for assisting in the killing of her mother Sheila von Wiese-Mack during a holiday on the Indonesian resort island in August. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]Her body was discovered in bloodied suitcase and the court ruled that her boyfriend Tommy Schaefer, 21, battered her to death in a hotel room while Mack helped him stuff it into the case by sitting on it.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]Schaefer, who was tried by the same judging panel but in a separate case to Mack, was sentenced to 18 years in prison. The charge of premeditated murder carried a maximum penalty of death by firing squad but the Indonesian Criminal Court chose to be lenient towards Mack because she had given birth, according to the [/FONT][/COLOR]Associated Press"[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia].

    [/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bali-suitcase-murder-us-couple-who-killed-mother-in-hotel-and-stuffed-her-body-in-a-case-are-spared-death-penalty-10192072.html
    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
    George Bernard Shaw

  • #2
    Wasn't she granted access to a large amount of money not long ago and publicized it? With the appropriate amount of money she certainly has been able to hire a talented lawyer, Lantern.

    Comment


    • #3
      Seems taking human life can get a lesser sentence than 10kg

      Comment


      • #4
        Note to female mules, get yourself pregnant before travelling.

        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Guardian Text Egyptian Web]“In my decision I have made a special judgment because Heather has a baby who needs a mother,” said the judge".

        [/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/21/indonesia-court-sentences-us-couple-over-bali
        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
        George Bernard Shaw

        Comment


        • #5
          If she has piles of money she can hire the best broker --I mean lawyer-- money can buy.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't really see the baby as a reasonable excuse for a lighter sentence (length of time, am opposed to death penalty). The kid is still going to be too big to have a lot of use for "mama" by the time mama gets out. Then there is the fact that "mama" was involved in the killing of another family member, so you might wonder if she is good mother material. This makes no sense as an excuse for a lighter sentence. Makes more sense to think that the money and lawyer did talk.

            Comment


            • #7
              I was wondering about the baby, surely it won't stay in the prison for ten years, I thought about a year or two, my other thought is what nationality will it be, the mother is American but what will happen to the baby, will it be sent back to the states to some relative,

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...ry.html#page=1


                [SIZE=3]Judge Neil Cohen allowed up to $150,000 to be used for her criminal defense. Another estimated $300,000 of the trust has gone to lawyer fees, officials said, and the legal fight is certain to continue in light of Mack's criminal conviction.


                [/SIZE]
                Last edited by jukung11; 22-04-15, 22:40. Reason: Better article.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                  I was wondering about the baby, surely it won't stay in the prison for ten years, I thought about a year or two, my other thought is what nationality will it be, the mother is American but what will happen to the baby, will it be sent back to the states to some relative,
                  The baby's mother (and also the father, if it is the boyfriend also convicted in the case, as indicated) is an American citizen. Any child born to at least one American citizen is considered an American (U.S.) citizen by birth. The form "Consular Report of Birth of A U.S. Citizen Abroad" needs to be filled, I don't know if this has been done or not. As for where the baby will spend his / her next ten years, I have no idea. Hopefully not in Kerobokan.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

                  The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
                    Hopefully not in Kerobokan.
                    I am ready to stand corrected but I think that I remember a reg stipulating that kids can be kept with their incarcerated mother until the age of 2. I have also read somewhere that they plan to have the father's family taking care of the kid at some point.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jukung11 View Post
                      http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...ry.html#page=1


                      [SIZE=3]Judge Neil Cohen allowed up to $150,000 to be used for her criminal defense. Another estimated $300,000 of the trust has gone to lawyer fees, officials said, and the legal fight is certain to continue in light of Mack's criminal conviction.


                      [/SIZE]
                      What a waste of money all she should have done is get a note from a top Indonesian doctor ($25K) saying she has some sort of illness that has given her amnesia therefore it would be pointless putting her on trail because she cant remember a thing. Then convert to Islam and turn up to the court hearing in a jilbab - few quid to the judges for their "ethical sympathy" and bingo off scot free. Seems to work for corrupt politicians, human rights abusers, drugged up drivers, and ex presidents.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                        What a waste of money all she should have done is get a note from a top Indonesian doctor ($25K) saying she has some sort of illness that has given her amnesia therefore it would be pointless putting her on trail because she cant remember a thing. Then convert to Islam and turn up to the court hearing in a jilbab - few quid to the judges for their "ethical sympathy" and bingo off scot free. Seems to work for corrupt politicians, human rights abusers, drugged up drivers, and ex presidents.
                        Im assuming Scoot that there wont be enough for the Boy friend, I mentioned to my daughter the unfairness, that you can be shot for drug smuggling, but murder you can get as little as 5 years, she said it was Jokowi who said the drugs kill many, but murder of one isn't the same,

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                          Im assuming Scoot that there wont be enough for the Boy friend,
                          In a nutshell He is fucked - he actually did the murder and hasn't got any money either hence the reason the mother didn't approve of the relationship in the first place, hence the reason he killed her.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                            hence the reason he killed her.
                            either that or she cooked the soup & he didn't like it
                            The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                              Then convert to Islam and turn up to the court hearing in a jilbab - few quid to the judges for their "ethical sympathy" and bingo off scot free. Seems to work for corrupt politicians, human rights abusers, drugged up drivers, and ex presidents.
                              Doing the bolded in a court in Bali, presided by a Balinese judge, is not recommended.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X