Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locals Only: Indonesian government to clamp down on foreign land ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Locals Only: Indonesian government to clamp down on foreign land ownership

    [SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]Not exactly sure what they mean by this, i didn't know/think it was even possible to put property in a foreigners name, then they say [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2] "[/SIZE][SIZE=2]For example, if there was a mixed couple, the certificate could go over to the Indonesian national" which i thought was not technically correct thing to do without a prenup anyway.
    [/SIZE]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]Foreign nationals are not supposed to own land in Indonesia and the government is saying it wants to clamp down and cut the gap between theory and practice.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]Foreigners are absolutely not allowed to own an inch of land in Indonesia. It’s clear in line with the constitution,” Minister of Agrarian and Spatial Planning/Head of the State Land Board Ferry Mursyidan Baldan reportedly said to Antara. [/COLOR][/FONT]

    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]Baldan says that the national government means business, against the illegal ownership of land by foreigners, especially in popular destinations like Lombok and of course, you guessed it, Bali. He says you can now expect more sweeping and land reclaiming. [/COLOR][/FONT]

    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]To Baldan, this is to make sure no part of Indonesia is dominated by foreigners. [/COLOR][/FONT]

    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]“Under international law, only ambassador’s homes and offices can be owned by foreigners,” Baldan said (which doesn’t count as an inch of land in his book). [/COLOR][/FONT]

    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]When asked about what sanctions will be imposed on foreigners who are known to have land in Indonesia, Baldan said there was no need to punish foreigners, but rather just switch over the property deeds. For example, if there was a mixed couple, the certificate could go over to the Indonesian national, but if not, the government will take over the land, Baldan says, according to [/COLOR][/FONT]Kompas[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]. [/COLOR][/FONT]

    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]But don’t expect some land grabbing mess (because that would just be too similar to drug raids). Baldan says there will be nothing random about these foreign ownership land sweeps—they will be conducted in a civil, orderly fashion. Looks like the government may soon have a lot more land on its hands.[/COLOR][/FONT]

    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#333333]http://bali.coconuts.co/2015/03/10/locals-only-indonesian-government-clamp-down-foreign-land-ownership[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Last edited by mick mentawai; 15-03-15, 13:04.

  • #2
    Mick This subject has been covered in another thread

    Comment


    • #3
      I really don't know how would the govt do this, as all land "owners" are Indonesian on the certificate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
        I really don't know how would the govt do this, as all land "owners" are Indonesian on the certificate.
        I don't think that is always the case. Lots of people have reported having their expat spouse listed on documents.
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
          ... Lots of people have reported having their expat spouse listed on documents.
          That's news to me. Tell me more, especially your source for "Lots of people have reported ..."

          Comment


          • #6
            Perhaps they mean the PMA property ownership loophole is about to be closed up, otherwise I don't see how this is at all workable. If you buy land with your Indonesian wife she is the legal owner, if you buy land using a nominee they are the legal owners so therefore no laws have been broken as they are Indonesian citizens.

            As I said on the other thread, I suspect this is merely a nationalistic flag waving exercise to allow dodgy politicians to garner a few votes from the bule hating xenophobes. After all when all else fails go after the honkies.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
              Mick This subject has been covered in another thread
              What thread?…i can't find it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                Perhaps they mean the PMA property ownership loophole is about to be closed up, otherwise I don't see how this is at all workable. If you buy land with your Indonesian wife she is the legal owner, if you buy land using a nominee they are the legal owners so therefore no laws have been broken as they are Indonesian citizens.

                As I said on the other thread, I suspect this is merely a nationalistic flag waving exercise to allow dodgy politicians to garner a few votes from the bule hating xenophobes. After all when all else fails go after the honkies.

                Or another source for bribery...

                Comment


                • #9
                  While I understand the political reasons why Indonesia continues to shoot itself in the foot on this issue, it should be relatively easy for Indonesia to compare this policy with Malaysia's 'My Second Home' program to see which is the better idea. Honestly, as a class of immigrants we'd be willing to invest millions, if not billions into Indonesia.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wouldn't give this much attention until you hear the news of something actually happening. It sounds a bit self-deprecating by calling a witch hunt to find all the property owned by foreigners that they can't own anyway. I hope the government doesn't blame the current economic woes on all this foreign owned land. I was so hoping that the new President was going to open property ownership of apartments to foreigners. So far it doesn't seem to be moving in that direction.
                    The comments made by this user are merely random thoughts without any validity or truth.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                      That's news to me. Tell me more, especially your source for "Lots of people have reported ..."
                      Multiple folks have reported having their expat spouses listed on the deed in this forum. Often it's a vague reference, as most people don't want to admit it on a public forum.
                      Last edited by Jaime C; 18-03-15, 08:49.
                      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not to belabor the point (meaning I am going to belabor it), multiple is the same as "lots," meaning 2 or more. A vague reference in deed, in terms of both numbers and source. I have been around here for a while and do not recall even two members volunteering information about who is listed on property ownership certificates. As noted and as with many things while in Indonesia, its best for foreigners to maintain a low profile. That impression, insight is the important feature to come away with.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                          Multiple folks have reported having their expat spouses listed on the deed in this forum. Often it's a vague reference, as most people don't want to admit it on a public forum.
                          I think you genuinely misread the "vague" reference. Whenever I've been reading such "vague" reference, I could deduct that it was not concerning the SHM title but an Hak Pakai title atas SHM (with the SHM being either on the name of an Indonesian or the State) . That is a huge difference.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Honestly, Baldan's statement makes little sense and shows that he knows very little of what he's talking about, especially when you read the statement in its original version. It reminded me Patrialis Akbar statement when the Immigration Act got enacted back in 2011 when he was Minister of Justice & Human Rights. At the time, he gave us a wonderful statement showing that he did not understand the Law nor he read it... but it didn't prevent him to try to belabor on it. Business as usual. No shame as long as it sounds nationalistic enough to please the mass.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                              I think you genuinely misread the "vague" reference. Whenever I've been reading such "vague" reference, I could deduct that it was not concerning the SHM title but an Hak Pakai title atas SHM (with the SHM being either on the name of an Indonesian or the State) . That is a huge difference.
                              It's certainly possible I'm mistaken. I just recall folks saying their expat spouses names were on titles.
                              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X