No announcement yet.

UN report to state Australia is in breach of international torture convention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The maritime arrivals have massively increased from 2009 onwards, and since 2011 outstrip the air arrivals, I wonder what caused that?

Comment

This seems like lets knock Australia week, why should people think they can just rock up to a country and expect to be welcomed with open arms, with free benefits, a lot of these boat people have spent a lot of money to get half way round the world, passing it would seem through various other countries, shouldn't these other countries have an obligation to give them sanctuary if they are so oppressed, seems like Australia like the UK is an easy touch,

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
        This seems like lets knock Australia week, why should people think they can just rock up to a country and expect to be welcomed with open arms, with free benefits, a lot of these boat people have spent a lot of money to get half way round the world, passing it would seem through various other countries, shouldn't these other countries have an obligation to give them sanctuary if they are so oppressed, seems like Australia like the UK is an easy touch,
        Damn right it is why do you think they make a B line for these countries ??

Wealthy prosperous countries which offer safety and protection of rights such as Brunei, Kuwait, the UAE, Singapore, Japan, South Korea are they not seeing ship loads of immigrants arriving on their shores ?? Call me cynical but could it be the lack of a benefits system ??

Comment

[QUOTE=ScooterIndo;444891][QUOTE=ohmdafyd;444759]I'm sure that whilst in Indonesia having no legal rights at all, including the right to work or make a living, no right to schooling for the kids, being subject to arbitrary detention thus living in constant anxiety and fear plus being subjected to violence and discrimination whilst in Indonesian custody plays a huge role in wanting to move on to Australia.

If you were in their shoes, what would your decision be?

The question isn't about Indonesia and their treatment of Asylum seekers, these people left for Australia not Indonesia. They chose to go to Australia long before they had ever heard of Indonesia. The issue is about why do people from Iraq (for example) choose to come half way around the world to countries like Australia and the UK, do you really think its because of the outstanding human rights record ?? The chance to live in a freedom loving multicultural democracy ??. I don't think so, If Indonesia offered better social security benefits than Australia and the UK, it would be RI facing a "tsunami of asylum seekers"

As for what I would do (if I was dirt poor and living in a shithole like Iraq) well lets see, I could go over the border into the neighboring country (like the Libyans in to Tunisia or the Syrians into the Lebanon for example) where I would be safe and free but would have to start from zero and work extremely hard to just survive or I could go to Australia or the UK and get free housing, free medical care, free schooling, unemployment benefits, free money for child support and there was a government sponsored safety net in place to ensure I got all these benefits.......let me think about it such a difficult decision to make.
          No comment upon the benefits of the UK Scoot, but it's not the case in Australia where benefits such as free housing or totally free schooling is in place, that is a common stereotypical but sadly mistaken belief.
          I'm not over all the details but Many do not even have the right to work and receive a smaller allowance than the dole {which is less than 25% of the Average wage} hence many have to bunk in communal housing and share the very high cost of living here.

Btw it is a common misconception that Health Care in Australia is Free, it is not!
          A levy is imposed upon all workers on a sliding scale to finance the majority of Medicare.

Schooling is also not free, I have just paid over $2000.00 for my daughter to begin her first year in a Public High School.

Look up the facts for yourself, I'm tired of bigotry and accusations based on ignorance of the truth.

Other Refugees who have been assessed as genuine "{ the figures above explain how many that is} are known to make efforts to fit into the community establishing themselves by working hard and positively contributing not only to the Economy but the local Communities they join. Look up Shepparton in Victoria for an excellent example.

Migrants built this Country, which is why even the current Tea Party will still authorise thousands and thousands of more Migrants in each and every upcoming year, just the ones they want, and not any who might be different or arrive here in ways Politically unacceptable to the Bogans of this Country as they might lose some votes and God forbid even their Power {Jobs}

The 'debate' over the boat arrivals is predominately Propaganda and hysteria!
          IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Comment

Ok for the sake of my admitted lack of knowledge on the benefits system in Australia - please apply my comments to the UK.

Comment

Its very odd that the Un should be so critical of Australia for a problem they have ignored, the UN has been rapped for its lack of action to insure the rights of the Syrians and other middle east countries, had the UN been a bit more pro active, Australia wouldn't have this boat people problem nor would the EU.

Its a sad fact that the organisers or people that supply the boats charge these poor people many thousands of dollars to get them to Australia, I can understand their frustration in not being allowed in straight away, but it doesn't give them the right to jump the queue to the detriment of those that have applied to immigrate legally. so they have to bite the bullet and wait for whatever procedure the Oz government operate
              Last edited by Anglian; 12-03-15, 20:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                Its very odd that the Un should be so critical of Australia for a problem they have ignored, the UN has been rapped for its lack of action to insure the rights of the Syrians and other middle east countries, had the UN been a bit more pro active, Australia wouldn't have this boat people problem nor would the EU.

Its a sad fact that the organisers or people that supply the boats charge these poor people many thousands of dollars to get them to Australia, I can understand their frustration in not being allowed in straight away, but it doesn't give them the right to jump the queue to the detriment of those that have applied to immigrate legally. so they have to bite the bullet and wait for whatever procedure the Oz government operate
                Australia should have adopted US tactics

"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial][FONT=georgia]The U.N. torture investigator accused the United States on Wednesday of stalling on his requests to visit its prisons where 80,000 people are in solitary confinement and to interview inmates at Guantanamo on his terms.[/FONT]
                [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=georgia]Juan Mendez, special rapporteur on torture, has sought for more than two years to enter U.S. prisons, including maximum-security facilities, to check on conditions. U.N. human rights experts have asked to visit Guantanamo since 2004".
                http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0M71J820150311[/FONT][/COLOR]
                "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

[SIZE=1]'Tony Abbott's hate-love-hate relationship with the UN[/SIZE]'

Full report via the link

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...13-142kbb.html
                  IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Comment

Working...
                  X