Wearing Hijab means No Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing Hijab means No Club

A hijabbed woman was refused to enter a club. This incident might open a possibility to build a hijab only nightclub in Aceh.

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.co...rd-nightclubs/

Badly thought over piece. The answer is simple, I'd be afraid to blatantly serve alcohol to an obviously Muslim person. Especially given the way justice works in this country. In this case, add FPI and other extremists groups acting independently in defense of Islam.

Comment

This is a non-issue. Clubs are clubs, they are entitled to decide who is part of "the club" and who is not. I imagine if I showed up nude, and said I was a "Naturalist" they wouldn't allow me in, either. I would look like an idiot arguing that they are "excluding my religion" while hundreds of appropriately dressed people queued behind me. Makes no difference why I am nude, or why they don't allow nude people. It is private property and admittance is at the discretion of the owner.
      Last edited by Happyman; 30-01-15, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
        This is a non-issue. Clubs are clubs, they are entitled to decide who is part of "the club" and who is not. I imagine if I showed up nude, and said I was a "Naturalist" they wouldn't allow me in, either. I would look like an idiot arguing that they are "excluding my religion" while hundreds of appropriately dressed people queued behind me. Makes no difference why I am nude, or why they don't allow nude people. It is private property and admittance is at the discretion of the owner.
        Apples and Oranges, HM. Nudity and a Jilbab are considerably different.
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

apparently wearing hijab violates the nightclub's dresscode
          Cheers,

Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Comment

I assume she did this to get a reaction? I don't imagine that it's a big issue for the vast majority of hijabbers. Club dress codes around the world are full of double standards, gender discrimination etc. Women can wear sandals but not men. Groups of men are denied entry but groups of women are most welcome etc.

The article suggests that the refusal is not "tourist friendly". Surely she's not being serious?
            Last edited by lantern; 30-01-15, 14:42.
            "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
              Apples and Oranges, HM. Nudity and a Jilbab are considerably different.
              Ok. Should have used a different analogy, since lots of people are hung-up on nudity (but just for the sake of argument, I'm thinking the club owner's issue with both would be the same, "This club is a business and you are bad for business"). I like the nun analogy from the article source. Or we could go with someone insisting on wearing traditional dress, from Papua. How about I show up dressed as the pope or an Indian medicine man (partial nudity?)?

Muslims keep telling me that jilbabs are optional, not a "requirement". They insist it is not a sin to go without one. I have yet to meet someone who says it is a sin to take off your Jilbab. We are not talking about a "religious requirement". It's like an employee insisting he has to have Monday night off for Bible Study, Tuesday for DoorKnocking, Wednesday for Wednesday Night service, Friday for Youth Group, Saturday for Prayer Meeting and Sunday for Church. "Ok then, why did you ask for the night-shift?" You wanna go to the club, do what all the other people who go to the club do. Don't expect them to accept your personal dress standard and whine when they don't. You probably aren't that special, no matter what your "important personal reason" is.

By the way, I don't go clubbing, but if I did, I'd rather see the nudists. You want to stand out, stand out because you are open and sharing something with the world, not concealing it. It's a place to have fun, not sit in the corner and insist that everything be as it is everywhere else.

Comment

The "no blacks at my lunch counter" reasoning really doesn't sway me.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                  The "no blacks at my lunch counter" reasoning really doesn't sway me.
                  This is the first time I have heard of people putting on black skin and attempting to go to an all-white lunch counter. Please elucidate. (Hijabs are a choice, you aren't born with it.)
                  Last edited by Happyman; 30-01-15, 22:26.

Comment

This is the first time I have heard of people putting on black skin and attempting to go to an all-white lunch counter. Please elucidate. (Hijabs are a choice, you aren't born with it.)
                    Actually there were more than a few white people who sat-in in sympathy blacks at whites-only lunch counters in the 1960's south. They were treated pretty much the same as the black demonstrators. Perhaps its an American thing, but these days discrimination on the basis of race, religion, and a few other attributes unrelated to the operation of businesses offering their wares or services to the public is illegal. Its good public policy, as well.

Going out in the nude makes you look like an idiot; arguing in favor of discrimination based on religion makes you sound like an idiot.

Comment

Muslims keep telling me that jilbabs are optional, not a "requirement". They insist it is not a sin to go without one. I have yet to meet someone who says it is a sin to take off your Jilbab. We are not talking about a "religious requirement". It's like an employee insisting he has to have Monday night off for Bible Study, Tuesday for DoorKnocking, Wednesday for Wednesday Night service, Friday for Youth Group, Saturday for Prayer Meeting and Sunday for Church. "Ok then, why did you ask for the night-shift?" You wanna go to the club, do what all the other people who go to the club do. Don't expect them to accept your personal dress standard and whine when they don't. You probably aren't that special, no matter what your "important personal reason" is.
                      Those Muslims would be wrong about it not being a requirement. It IS, in fact, a religious requirement spelled out in the Qur'an itself despite absurd/misinformed/ridiculous commentary from "reformers." Certainly the degree to which a woman must cover is up in the air, should she let it hang loosely like Benazir Bhutto or let it completely cover her like the ladies of "Burqa Blue?" That part is less clear. But no one can deny that Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) has made it compulsory to at least wear the jilbab loosely (see Qur'an 33:59, 24:31).

A hijabbed woman was refused to enter a club. This incident might open a possibility to build a hijab only nightclub in Aceh.
                      Why'd you mention Aceh, pony?

Here's an apt comparison for all of you. If a club in Europe or the United States denied entry to a man wearing a kippah, what would the response be? RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION! ANTI-SEMITISM! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

Same stuff. Funny hat? Check. Worn out of religious requirement? Check. Laws against religious discrimination in place? Check.

Whether or not we should judge the morality of the Muslim woman entering a club is not at issue. We're not (at least, the rest of you are supposedly not...) legislating morality, are we?
                      Last edited by DanInAceh; 31-01-15, 03:46.

Comment

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...171155,00.html

Oh look, same exact thing in Israel... except it IS considered discriminatory it appears.

Add Sikh turbans to the list, in the United States no less.

http://saldef.org/saldef-news/sikhs-.../#.VMvz1Ma0bgE
                        Last edited by DanInAceh; 31-01-15, 03:18.

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                          http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...171155,00.html

Oh look, same exact thing in Israel... except it IS considered discriminatory it appears.

http://saldef.org/saldef-news/sikhs-.../#.VMvz1Ma0bgE
                          But not against the law as far as I can tell from the article. A nightclub in Israel frequented by soldiers would understandably be nervous about security.
                          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Isn't it really all about business? Does a club that makes its money selling alcohol really want to encourage customers who are unlikely to consume said beverage?
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                              Isn't it really all about business? Does a club that makes its money selling alcohol really want to encourage customers who are unlikely to consume said beverage?
                              I see quite a few ladies with Jilbabs drinking and smoking in Bandung. Especially when we go to PVJ.

I think a lot of mulsim women wear the Jilbab for fashion, "safety", or to keep a spouse or parents happy. It certainly doesn't mean that they're pious or any different from most other ladies.
                              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Working...
                              X