Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boko Haram Massacre claims more than a thousand lives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boko Haram Massacre claims more than a thousand lives

    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Guardian Text Egyptian Web][FONT=verdana][SIZE=2]The killings in Nigeria took place early January but it didn't get a worldwide attention than a siege in Sydney. I wonder why?

    http://www.theage.com.au/world/niger...10-12loit.html

    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

  • #2
    Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Guardian Text Egyptian Web][FONT=verdana][SIZE=2]The killings in Nigeria took place early January but it didn't get a worldwide attention than a siege in Sydney. I wonder why?

    http://www.theage.com.au/world/niger...10-12loit.html

    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Boko Haram and Abubakar Shekau are regularly featured in the headlines on french news medias and I wouldn't say that it has been given less attention than the Sidney siege in France.

    I even think that some of their past massacres and actions have been more widely covered than the recent Sidney events. I don't think that many educated french regularly reading news would tell you that they ignore who Boko haram is and where they come from.

    The kidnappings of some 200 school girls and their force marriage, the massacres of Christians in Damaturu (spelling ?) and the fact that they've taken hostage at least a couple of times some french citizens (a whole family of 6 or 7 in one case) have contributed to the fact that they are recurrently doing the headlines.

    Perhaps that in Australia you don't get often news of what's going on in Africa. It's pretty different in France, especially considering the colonial past we had in some african regions.

    If the more recent massacre have been less commented in the medias in France, it is due to the special situation the country had to go through the past few days. Without it, I am pretty certain that we would have had a news coverage pretty much equivalent to the one of the Sidney siege (which has not been that extensively covered by the way in France).

    On the other hand, you wouldn't read much in french medias about the troubles in Papua or, at the time, about the massacres perpetrated by the Indonesian forces during the invasion of Timor Leste such as the Santa Cruz massacre or the slaughtering of the Balibo 5. It is far from Europe and very few people know where it is.

    Comment


    • #3
      In Australia, the killings didn't get much coverage as much as the shootings in Paris. It hardly became a headline too in other media outlet.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe because there is far less media (operatives) working/operating in these african countries, as these countries themselves are extremely dangerous place to be! not just for western looking camera men and journalists but for the locals. if i were a media company i would be very cautious in sending any of my staff into such a dangerous location.. however they do have people on the ground, of course, but not many, no where near as many as in a place like France.
        that would be my explanation; they simply do not have the reporters / human resource or footage or local information at hand On the ground, because of the place that it is.. so there is literally not much to report other than the little that they know.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
          In Australia, the killings didn't get much coverage as much as the shootings in Paris. It hardly became a headline too in other media outlet.
          The public are more interested in what happens in Paris and those who sell newspapers respond to that. Northern Nigeria is on another planet for many. Add to that the live feeds and eye witness accounts which make great drama.
          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
          George Bernard Shaw

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lantern View Post
            The public are more interested in what happens in Paris and those who sell newspapers respond to that. Northern Nigeria is on another planet for many. Add to that the live feeds and eye witness accounts which make great drama.
            Pretty much this. The vast majority of news consumers in the West are far more likely to identify with things happening in Sydney or Paris than to what is happening in Nigeria. In other words, scary news from Paris or Sydney get better ratings.

            Comment


            • #7
              Pretty black and white, if you ask me.

              Comment


              • #8
                This certainly received much attention in Australia. I know our school were involved with a campaign championing for the victims' release.
                Things happen for a reason...

                Comment


                • #9
                  No matter the reason why it doesn't get as much coverage, it doesn't make it right

                  If all acts of barbarism got the same amount of coverage, I'm afraid we would just have this sort of news 24/7.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think we need to stop any coverage of "muslim terrorism" at all. Because they get their ad for free. The best way is to apply Soeharto's way. Maybe the UN can ask Gen Wiranto about it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                      This certainly received much attention in Australia. I know our school were involved with a campaign championing for the victims' release.
                      That's pretty cool. The kidnappings become the headline but the recent killings didn't receive much attention.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
                        That's pretty cool. The kidnappings become the headline but the recent killings didn't receive much attention.
                        My social media feeds have certainly had stories about the recent killings.
                        http://m.smh.com.au/world/boko-haram...ALhdy28zsr6qiq
                        Things happen for a reason...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was working in Nigeria a couple of years ago when Boko Haram went into the dormitory of a local agricultural college and machine gunned the students as they slept. The news spread like wild fire and national coverage was easily as akin to the coverage of the recent atrocities in Paris yet on the major news stations (al Jazeera, CNN, BBC ect) it was forgotten the next day.
                          Very sad indeed, I cant help but feel if this had been carried out in the UK Germany France Australia or America the international coverage would have been so much greater.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                            I was working in Nigeria a couple of years ago when Boko Haram went into the dormitory of a local agricultural college and machine gunned the students as they slept. The news spread like wild fire and national coverage was easily as akin to the coverage of the recent atrocities in Paris yet on the major news stations (al Jazeera, CNN, BBC ect) it was forgotten the next day.
                            Very sad indeed, I cant help but feel if this had been carried out in the UK Germany France Australia or America the international coverage would have been so much greater.
                            And annually memorialised no doubt.
                            Things happen for a reason...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://m.smh.com.au/world/boko-haram...13-12n3ro.html

                              The world leaders joined the march in Paris but no similar gesture for Nigeria. It's very sad.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X