hostage situation in sydney CBD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
    The "chatter" concerning attacks in Australia has largely been focused on public executions committed by lone wolves. This seems to fit that bill. Here's hoping he (or they?) are killed before they can pull it off.
    Geez, that's such a classic statement. I must admit I feel a bit the same sometimes, but it takes someone special to say it with such apparent enthusiasm.
    Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
      It is the case in ANY hostage crisis, Dan. Not only those who involve Islam. Police communicate a minima with the medias when such situation arise and this until the outcome of the crisis. It has nothing to do with being scared of being accused to be racist.

Didn't you notice that police have not communicate on the number of hostages, the number of hostage takers, the alleged bomb planted in the business district...etc. Is that by fear of conflating with Islam or being labelled racist?
      The police's priority is the hostages... Media are way down the list unless they serve a purpose to the police for whatever reason.
      Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
        I am not sure what the fact that it could be a mentally ill person would change to the dramatic situation of the hostages. The facts are that an undisclosed number of hostages are being held hostages and that they have been forced to held up a black flag with the shahada printed on it. Not really conjectures. Fair call.

Whoever is holding the gun, the situation IS sinister [true] and the fact that an Islamic flag has been given to the hostages to be held IS a political message -[maybe...motive and mental state of the hostage-taker remains conjecture].
        Sorry my post responding to this didn't seem to post earlier today. Can't remember exactly what I wrote now. I do remember thinking initially that you were referring to Islamic State when you were writing IS...

Comment

An interesting article about both the Sidney muslim community leaders position and the division risk in (hopefully a small fringe of) the australian community and public opinion with extreme right wing groups such as ADL trying to fuel the anger.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/martin...15-127fzo.html

A coalition of Muslim groups has issued a statement expressing their "utter shock and horror" over the siege at Martin Place and "urging everyone to stay calm".

"We reject any attempt to take the innocent life of any human being, or to instil fear and terror into their hearts," the statement says.

"Any such despicable act only serves to play into the agendas of those who seek to destroy the goodwill of the people of Australia and to further damage and ridicule the religion of Islam, and Australian Muslims in this country.

"We remind everyone that the Arabic inscription on the black flag is not representative of a political statement, but reaffirms a testimony of faith that has been misappropriated by misguided individuals that represent no one but themselves."

Community leaders were bracing for a backlash against their communities in coming days and warned mosque members to head straight home on Monday evening.

One fringe right-wing organisation, the Australian Defence League, was using its Facebook page to urge supporters to prepare to descend on Lakemba, a strongly Muslim area of Sydney.
          "If one person is harmed we are calling on all Australians to converge on Lakemba tonight. Who is ready?" the organisation posted mid-afternoon.

The Muslim community has been united in their condemnation of the events and community leaders appear puzzled by both the identity and motivation of the hostage taker.

The Grand Mufti of Australia, Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohamed, said he and the Australian National Imam Council condemned "this criminal act unequivocally and reiterate that such actions are denounced in part and in whole in Islam".

"We along with the wider Australian community await the results of the investigation about the identity of the perpetrators and their underlying motivations behind this criminal act."

The chief executive of the Arab Council of Australia, Ms Randa Kattan, expressed horror at the events.

"We are extremely concerned that this is happening in multicultural Australia.

"Our thoughts and great concerns are with the hostages who are caught up in this terrible situation, their families and all the people affected by this including the police officers on the scene," she said.

Parramatta Islamic Cultural Association chairman Neil El Kadomi said his organisation had already met with local police to discuss the situation.

"We have told the kids at the mosque not to go around Parramatta because this event will inevitably raise the temperature in the community. They should go straight home after prayers."

Mr El Kadomi said it was particularly terrible that these events had happened around Christmas. He said his own daughter, who worked at David Jones, had been caught up in event and had not been allowed to leave the building, he said.

Rissalah College in Lakemba was flooded with calls from "panicked parents" according to principal Afif Khalil.

"It was our end of year presentations today, and I took the opportunity to talk about the Islamic State," said Mr Khalil. "The parents are shocked. Most of our school community is from war-torn countries. They have come here to escape that, and then to find that this stuff has followed them here is terrible."

Mr Khalil said he has not put on any more security for Tuesday, which is the last day of school. "It will be business as usual. We have a very good relationship with Campsie police, who make their presence known at time like these."

Sydney's Muslim leaders were already meeting with police on Monday morning when they heard about the Martin Place siege.

Keysar Trad, from the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia, said: "The police were just informing us about charges that were going to be laid against two men who were involved in the raids in September," Trad said.

"When news of the siege came through there was speculation in the room that it could be linked to that, that perhaps it was a parent of one of the men who was being charged. But we really don't know."

Muslim community figure Rebecca Kay said the siege would probably intensify anti-Islamic sentiment. "You are already seeing stuff on social media, with people saying 'Deport all Muslims'," she said.

"After the new security laws were introduced, we tracked attacks on Muslims through Sydney, and we found that there were five to seven attacks per day in a three week period. Cars being vandalised, women being punched, being spat on or verbally abused. That will probably increase now in the lead up to Christmas. It's all people are going to be talking about."

Muslim leaders say they do not recognise any of those inside the cafe including a man being reported to be the gunman and cannot discern his motivation.

"He's certainly no one that I recognise," says Mr Trad, from the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia. "And the flag he has held up is not a jihadist flag, it's the kalimah, which translates as 'There is no God but God, and Muhammad is his messenger.' "

Kuranda Seyit from the Forum on Islamic Relations and Ms Kay also remained in the dark on the possible identity of the man. Mr Seyit said: "I know many people in the community, but I don't recognise this man."

But in this climate of fear and uncertainty, Australians banded together to show their support for the Muslim population.

The #illridewithyou hashtag amassed more than 22,000 tweets on Monday evening, as Australians took a stand against anti-Muslim sentiment in the wake of the Martin Place siege.

A young Sydney woman, Rachael Jacobs, appears to have inspired the campaign after posting a moving Facebook status about her encounter with a Muslim woman earlier in the day.

Comment

The #illridewithyou has gone viral on FB too.

I think it is a really positive thing to have come out of this situation.
            Cicak Magnet

Comment

"Man Haron Monis[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Guardian Text Egyptian Web], the man named as the alleged hostage-taker, is a 49-year-old self-styled “Muslim cleric and peace activist”, my colleague [/FONT][/COLOR]Michael Safi[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Guardian Text Egyptian Web] reports.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Guardian Text Egyptian Web]Iranian-born Monis told ABC News in 2001 that he fled to Australia five years earlier after falling foul of the Iranian regime, which had placed his wife and children under house arrest. “I can say they are hostage,” he said at the time".
              http://www.theguardian.com/australia...lace-cafe-live[/FONT][/COLOR]
              "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Currently chaos has erupted and shots fired. 2.30am in Sydney, and police have allegedly stormed the cafe. One person appeared to be being given CPR coming out of the cafe.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                  Currently chaos has erupted and shots fired. 2.30am in Sydney, and police have allegedly stormed the cafe. One person appeared to be being given CPR coming out of the cafe.
                  Yep. Looks like it is coming to a violent conclusion.
                  "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The police now seem quite upbeat and mildly jovial...fingers crossed this is a small sign of some relief and all the hostages are alive.

Comment

22.49 Jakarta time: NSW Police have declared siege over. No further information released yet.

Comment

I'm not familiar with this Monis, Michelle?

Anyway, the hostage situation in Gent (Belgium) was also ended; unrelated since it probably had to do with drug deals.
                        [FONT=arial black]
                        [/FONT]

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fe-Sydney.html

I'm not a fan of the Mail, but it seems to have a fair amount of detail about the man involved.
                          Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                            Just discovered I'm not either. What was that, 6 grammar errors in one story? Thanks for the link, by the way. First detailed report I've seen.
                            Last edited by Happyman; 15-12-14, 22:15.

Comment

From the same Guardian link as above. I'm surprised they weren't keeping a close eye on him. He's a total nutter.

[SIZE=2][FONT=arial]"[COLOR=#767676]The man behind the Sydney cafe siege is reported to be 49-year-old self-styled ‘Muslim cleric and peace activist’ named [/COLOR]Man Haron Monis[COLOR=#767676], who is currently on bail facing dozens of charges of indecent and sexual assault.[/COLOR][COLOR=#767676]Monis, who also goes by the names Mohammad Hassan Manteghi and Manteghi Boroujerdi, was infamously involved in sending ‘grossly offensive’ letters to parents and relatives of Australian victims of terrorism and troops killed in Afghanistan between 2007 and 2009. He unsuccessfully challenged the conviction in the high court last year.[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=#767676]The Iranian-born man, who apparently converted from Shia Islam to Sunni only last week, has also been accused of being an accessory in the killing of his ex-wife, a charge for which he remains on bail.[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=#767676]He told ABC News in 2001 that he fled Australia five years earlier after falling foul of the Iranian regime, which he said had placed his wife and children under house arrest. ‘I can say they are hostage,’ he said at the time.
                              [/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=#767676]A fringe figure in Australia’s Muslim community, Monis has been spurned by Shia leaders, who have reportedly urged federal police to investigate the man over his claims to be an ayatollah, or Shia cleric.[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=#767676]According to a post on his website, Monis converted to Sunni Islam in December, labelling Shia Muslims as ‘rejectionists’.[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=#767676]A rambling October letter he penned to the Muslim community rejected the ‘new religion’ of moderate Islam. ‘This pen is my gun and these words are my bullets, I fight by these weapons against oppression to promote peace,’ he wrote.[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=#767676]An image on the website appears to show Monis wearing the same headband that photographs suggest he donned during the Martin Place siege, reading: ‘We are ready to sacrifice for you, O Muhammad.’[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=#767676]Shortly after the prime minister, Tony Abbott, was elected in September 2013, Monis sent a letter inviting him to a live debate where he said he would prove that ‘Australia and Australians will be attacked’ as a result of the country’s participation in the war in Afghanistan".[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
                              Last edited by lantern; 15-12-14, 22:28.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                                From the same Guardian link as above. I'm surprised they weren't keeping a close eye on him. He's a total nutter.

[SIZE=2][FONT=arial]"[COLOR=#767676]The man behind the Sydney cafe siege is reported to be 49-year-old self-styled ‘Muslim cleric and peace activist’ named [/COLOR]Man Haron Monis[COLOR=#767676], who is currently on bail facing dozens of charges of indecent and sexual assault.[/COLOR][COLOR=#767676]Monis, who also goes by the names Mohammad Hassan Manteghi and Manteghi Boroujerdi, was infamously involved in sending ‘grossly offensive’ letters to parents and relatives of Australian victims of terrorism and troops killed in Afghanistan between 2007 and 2009. He unsuccessfully challenged the conviction in the high court last year.[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#767676]The Iranian-born man, who apparently converted from Shia Islam to Sunni only last week, has also been accused of being an accessory in the killing of his ex-wife, a charge for which he remains on bail.[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#767676]He told ABC News in 2001 that he fled Australia five years earlier after falling foul of the Iranian regime, which he said had placed his wife and children under house arrest. ‘I can say they are hostage,’ he said at the time.
                                [/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#767676]A fringe figure in Australia’s Muslim community, Monis has been spurned by Shia leaders, who have reportedly urged federal police to investigate the man over his claims to be an ayatollah, or Shia cleric.[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#767676]According to a post on his website, Monis converted to Sunni Islam in December, labelling Shia Muslims as ‘rejectionists’.[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#767676]A rambling October letter he penned to the Muslim community rejected the ‘new religion’ of moderate Islam. ‘This pen is my gun and these words are my bullets, I fight by these weapons against oppression to promote peace,’ he wrote.[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#767676]An image on the website appears to show Monis wearing the same headband that photographs suggest he donned during the Martin Place siege, reading: ‘We are ready to sacrifice for you, O Muhammad.’[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=#767676]Shortly after the prime minister, Tony Abbott, was elected in September 2013, Monis sent a letter inviting him to a live debate where he said he would prove that ‘Australia and Australians will be attacked’ as a result of the country’s participation in the war in Afghanistan".[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
                                Yep. Easy to say in retrospect, but really seems incredibly unsuitable for bail.
                                Again, we don't know full story yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X