No announcement yet.

Jakarta Post Blasphemy Row

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully all will be dropped soon. It seems that sometimes they can be rational: http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.co...review-police/

The difficult thing is that many Muslims in Indonesia don't ever want to be associated with anything that may appear "anti Islam" so won't take a stand or make a comment similar to Dan's above, that he thinks it is wrong in this case, even if they agree.

Comment

Good point, V. Regarding post #4, it's not NU or Muh, which are more mainstream.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/articl...lasphemy-25627

Note the explanation of unflattering context that "strengthens the stigma that Islam represents senseless murderers,” according to a leader of JAT (which ironically is deemed a terrorist org by USA).

One thing I found interesting is that the "wire services" that distributed the story generally did NOT mention that the cartoon was published back in June -- look at how South China Morning Post and other webzines report it. Only recently has a criminal complaint been filed, and one might ask why the delay/patience.

Comment

Yet again we have the scenario whereby you can behead an innocent man, or machine gun the population of an entire village in the name of Islam and no one seems to give a shit. But print a cartoon depicting or mocking something Islamic and so many people are so deeply offended....................Sound familiar ???

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
          Good point, V. Regarding post #4, it's not NU or Muh, which are more mainstream.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/articl...lasphemy-25627

Note the explanation of unflattering context that "strengthens the stigma that Islam represents senseless murderers,” according to a leader of JAT (which ironically is deemed a terrorist org by USA).

One thing I found interesting is that the "wire services" that distributed the story generally did NOT mention that the cartoon was published back in June -- look at how South China Morning Post and other webzines report it. Only recently has a criminal complaint been filed, and one might ask why the delay/patience.
          Do you have evidence that Muhammadiyah or NU have reversed their stance and now support banning blasphemy laws? Did they change their stripes? I would entertain the possibility that a spokesman for either/both has stated that the law was misused this time, but that the law must still exist. I would equally entertain the notion that they support this application of it. So far, I haven't seen anything one way or the other from those organizations.

Comment

Semua sama; as said before, people are so afraid to be called a 'bad' Muslim, that they'd rather not say anything. Pure fear mongering and intimidation.
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X