Five Hours of a Woman Walking NYC in Hijab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
    (If you just want a one-night stand, I can help with that too.
    Really wow !!! I have always liked older women - make sure your husband doesn't find out though

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
      Really wow !!! I have always liked older women - make sure your husband doesn't find out though
      LOL. To woo me, first send me a telegram. When I receive it, I'll advise you of the next step.

Comment

More seriously, it would be quite interesting to run the experiment in Indonesia. It would be quite an undertaking, but it would be great to do it in 3-4 cities (maybe Jakarta, Medan, Manado, and a small village some place) with several "types":

1. Attractive young Indonesian, veiled.
        2. Same woman, not veiled.
        3. Attractive young bule, veiled.
        4. Same woman, not veiled (wearing identical clothing to #2).

I'd volunteer to participate, but (except for the boob grab I mentioned in another thread) I am old enough that I get left alone. When I was in my 30s, however, I got tons of unwanted attention on Jakarta streets.

Comment

More seriously, it would be quite interesting to run the experiment in Indonesia. It would be quite an undertaking, but it would be great to do it in 3-4 cities (maybe Jakarta, Medan, Manado, and a small village some place) with several "types":

1. Attractive young Indonesian, veiled.
          2. Same woman, not veiled.
          3. Attractive young bule, veiled.
          4. Same woman, not veiled (wearing identical clothing to #2).

I'd volunteer to participate, but (except for the boob grab I mentioned in another thread) I am old enough that I get left alone. When I was in my 30s, however, I got tons of unwanted attention on Jakarta streets.

I know that an attractive woman in hijab will still get unwanted attention. I proved it. No.. not me of course, i don't wear hijab. Watch the dismissal Indonesian Islamic school... watch those girls walking home. You can see easily how the jobless men who likes to hang out on the warung catcalling (is this a right word to use?) those girls.

Comment

For too much people:
            Being flirted by someone you have interest in = flirt
            Being flirted by someone you don't have interest in = harassment
            When you live in a country were harassment can give you penal trouble, it start to be confusing.

Yesterday I was harassed by 2 sexy young teenage girl while in a park with my older kid.
            They take a picture of me while I was on my way to the park.
            They make the effort to ask me in English (they had a bad one) for take a picture with them, which I decline with a "nah!".
            And all the time I was pushing my kid on the swing they keep looking at me!!!

I think Puspa should learn them better way of how to approach "bule".
            And make them understand it is strange/uncomfortable to be ask to take a picture with someone without at first engaging a conversation and at a minimum exchanging name.
            La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
              I think Puspa should learn them better way of how to approach "bule"..
              I wish I could!

One day when I was walking alone and some guy started walking with me and trying to talk with me, I snapped and started yelling at him (in what was undoubtedly awful Indonesian, plus very angry sounding):

"Do you think I want strangers to talk to me all the time just because I am foreign?

You do know there are 12 million Indonesians in Jakarta, right? What if all of them try to talk to bules every time they see one?

Don't you think it is annoying and scary for women when young males won't leave them alone? How would you like it if your sister was in America and men kept following her and trying to talk to her?"

I can't report on what he did next because I stomped off without looking back. But I can tell you for sure he didn't keep walking with me.

Comment

@PhilippeD
                Is there any chance it might have been a school project? I used to get that all the time, High-school kids who have an assignment to talk to a bule and take a photo of it. Got videoed for it a few times, too. It kind of sucks, as I am never "waiting for some random kid to ask me random personal questions on camera", but often I take pity on them.

Or, maybe you are just being too sexy yourself, my friend... I said these requests used to happen frequently... now not so often. Maybe I need to shave?

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
                  @PhilippeD
                  Is there any chance it might have been a school project? I used to get that all the time, High-school kids who have an assignment to talk to a bule and take a photo of it. Got videoed for it a few times, too. It kind of sucks, as I am never "waiting for some random kid to ask me random personal questions on camera", but often I take pity on them.
                  Definitely that happens a lot. Hopefully the kids will say so when that is the case.

For the record, I would never be mean to anyone trying to do a school assignment - although I wish teachers would stop relying so much on this technique. They should invite a few foreigners to class from time to time instead.

Comment

@PhilippeD

Or, maybe you are just being too sexy yourself, my friend... I said these requests used to happen frequently... now not so often. Maybe I need to shave?
                    No, it was not a school project. I ever been ask for a school project and it didn't bother me at all. It was funny, they were organize with question about transport.
                    Even for this event in the park, I use a lot of sarcasms for describe it (I hope it was obvious!). It was just 2 teen in a park chatting with each other.
                    I was not shaved... my wife said it add to my sexiness. She is always sad when I shave up once a week.

The part that irritate me most is the MASS HARASSMENT of complete stranger who will grab the cheek of my kid one after other (like when walking in the mall). The kid start to be stressed about this.

Comment

They make the effort to ask me in English (they had a bad one) for take a picture with them, which I decline with a "nah!".
                      And all the time I was pushing my kid on the swing they keep looking at me!!!
                      Then I consider myself lucky

---

I like Puspa's idea, that'll be another video with huge number of viewers.

Comment

I wish I could!

One day when I was walking alone and some guy started walking with me and trying to talk with me, I snapped and started yelling at him (in what was undoubtedly awful Indonesian, plus very angry sounding):

"Do you think I want strangers to talk to me all the time just because I am foreign?

You do know there are 12 million Indonesians in Jakarta, right? What if all of them try to talk to bules every time they see one?

Don't you think it is annoying and scary for women when young males won't leave them alone? How would you like it if your sister was in America and men kept following her and trying to talk to her?"

I can't report on what he did next because I stomped off without looking back. But I can tell you for sure he didn't keep walking with me.
                        and we will not talk about the need to say "Hi" to EVERYONE like if we were kind of super star... (it would derail the tread : P )

Comment

The part that irritate me most is the MASS HARASSMENT of complete stranger who will grab the cheek of my kid one after other (like when walking in the mall). The kid start to be stressed about this.
                          Yeah, Same thing happens to my son. Although I know they mean well, I kind of want to swat the hands of all those people. It is irritating as hell.

Comment

i have a friend who is wearing hijab, she is pretty and still get street harassment.
                            things like street harassment will never stop because there are many men think its ok to do that to women, probably they never think if it happens to their sister or mother..
                            and i think its not depend on what you wear, because a girl wearing hijab still can get raped.

[FONT=Verdana]
                            Yeah, Same thing happens to my son. Although I know they mean well, I kind of want to swat the hands of all those people. It is irritating as hell.
                            [/FONT]
                            [FONT=Verdana]The part that irritate me most is the MASS HARASSMENT of complete stranger who will grab the cheek of my kid one after other (like when walking in the mall). The kid start to be stressed about this.[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Verdana]
                            [/FONT]
                            it happened to me when i was a kid, till junior high school... i remember my classmate pinch my cheek and left my skin scratched.. and one time abang2 kuli touched my cheek when i was inside mini school bus (i sit next to the window)
                            and i got cat calling now
                            Last edited by vania~; 18-11-14, 14:07.
                            [FONT=Tahoma]for my part i know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream...[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                            X