• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You miss it from couple of day, the change happen in the beginning of 2010

http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/201...a-60-days.html
    La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
      You miss it from couple of day, the change happen in the beginning of 2010

http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/201...a-60-days.html
      You understand what a "couple of years" means, right Philippe?

Also that is NOT a 60 day VOA. It is a 30 day VOA, with a 30 day extension, as a possibility. There is no walk up to the VOA counter, and plunk down money for a 60 day VOA.

I know that English isn't your first language, but reading your posts is rather like doing a crossword puzzle in the dark sometimes.
      Last edited by Jaime C; 08-07-15, 22:22.
      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Yesterday I make more search on internet and I think you are right, it never had a 60 day VOA.

From the link I give you, I think they first scrap the 60 day visa (not voa) and than realizing it was stupid and they bring it back in a new dress (process).
        Or something like that...
        In was in my first year in indo... Or while I was still only a traveller... It's a while.

But it's still the same kind of story.
        They should put their VOA at 60 day and not less. That would support more the tourist business.
        And find a better way to support the expension of tourist in other area than but desavantageous rule for those area.

Comment

considering they said they want extend tourist outside of the few highly touristic area...
          Does creating a highly complex system of VOA which is only available for support tourist in the already highly touristic area...
          Is it as it should be? Answer: yes... You know, we are in indonesia, complicate rule that contradict fixed goal...
          Yes, in this point I agree. It may be good in some ways. For those nationalities who previously had to pay for VOA or get a visa through an embassy or consulate, and happen to be or plan to arrive at one of the ports designated for "visa free" entry, it's great not to have to pay to come in. Whether it's really a smart fiscal policy for Indonesia is somewhat in doubt to be sure. But since it's only free at certain ports and, as you point out, they are the ones where most tourists arrive anyway, and since it is not extendable past 30 days, it doesn't give travelers much time to reach a lot of different places and theoretically spread the money around more.

When my mother and her friend came to visit us near the end of 2012, they managed to visit Bali, Balikpapan, Jogjakarta, Bandung, Medan / Lake Toba / Brestagi / Bukit Lawang in about three weeks, but the longer one can stay, the more money should be spread around by visiting more places.

For me, and in this case, the fact that the paid VOA can be extended isn't helpful either, since I will only be staying for two weeks, until just after Idul Fitri, in any case before leaving again. Similar to the "one year" MERP I had no choice but to pay for in order to leave the country at the end of last year. Since imigrasi in Medan had just begun enforcing the "no SERP" rule and I was told that my only option was to pay 2 juta for my employer's agent to process the one year MERP, which I would use exactly ... ONE time.
          Last edited by Mister Bule; 09-07-15, 23:38.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
            Yes, in this point I agree. It may be good in some ways. For those nationalities who previously had to pay for VOA or get a visa through an embassy or consulate, and happen to be or plan to arrive at one of the ports designated for "visa free" entry, it's great not to have to pay to come in. Whether it's really a smart fiscal policy for Indonesia is somewhat in doubt to be sure. But since it's only free at certain ports and, as you point out, they are the ones where most tourists arrive anyway, and since it is not extendable past 30 days, it doesn't give travelers much time to reach a lot of different places and theoretically spread the money around more.

When my mother and her friend came to visit us near the end of 2012, they managed to visit Bali, Balikpapan, Jogjakarta, Bandung, Medan / Lake Toba / Brestagi / Bukit Lawang in about three weeks, but the longer one can stay, the more money should be spread around by visiting more places.

For me, and in this case, the fact that the paid VOA can be extended isn't helpful either, since I will only be staying for two weeks, until just after Idul Fitri, in any case before leaving again. Similar to the "one year" MERP I had no choice but to pay for in order to leave the country at the end of last year. Since imigrasi in Medan had just begun enforcing the "no SERP" rule and I was told that my only option was to pay 2 juta for my employer's agent to process the one year MERP, which I would use exactly ... ONE time.
            Well there is some good news in that post, that I know. Enjoy the new mission, agent 99. Sorry to say I'll miss you in Medan this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcibubur View Post
              The new Visa free system is clearly not helpful to those who must enter at a place other than what is now classified as a visa-free port of entry. Balikpapan is clearly not considered a major port of entry into Indonesia, whereas Medan and Jakarta are.
              True, and though Balikpapan gets a fair amount of expats coming and going, the majority of them are coming here to work in the oil, mining or other industries, not for tourism. As such, they will be coming and going on the KITAS / MERP system anyway. Balikpapan is definitely not what the government would consider a major tourist destination. Medan is, only because it is the most likely entry for tourists heading to Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang / Taman Gunung Leuser, etc, and they would want to encourage a higher volume of visitors to those areas. There are also a number of tempat wisata around the Medan area which are somewhat used by locals but have not been developed because of lack of capital. Even Bukit lawang and Samosir are still relatively undeveloped, certainly compared with Bali (and hopefully will never become as overdeveloped as parts of Bali are today).
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
                True, and though Balikpapan gets a fair amount of expats coming and going, the majority of them are coming here to work in the oil, mining or other industries, not for tourism. As such, they will be coming and going on the KITAS / MERP system anyway. Balikpapan is definitely not what the government would consider a major tourist destination. Medan is, only because it is the most likely entry for tourists heading to Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang / Taman Gunung Leuser, etc, and they would want to encourage a higher volume of visitors to those areas. There are also a number of tempat wisata around the Medan area which are somewhat used by locals but have not been developed because of lack of capital. Even Bukit lawang and Samosir are still relatively undeveloped, certainly compared with Bali (and hopefully will never become as overdeveloped as parts of Bali are today).
                There is the good side of things: Balikpapan is an international airport now. You don't have to go via Jakarta.

I do wonder how many expats live in the immediate area now, given the contraction in the oil and coal industries. I believe there are (or used to be) two smallish international schools in town.

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
                  There is the good side of things: Balikpapan is an international airport now. You don't have to go via Jakarta.

I do wonder how many expats live in the immediate area now, given the contraction in the oil and coal industries. I believe there are (or used to be) two smallish international schools in town.
                  I have no idea of how is it exactly in balikpapan. I'm in the next city, Samarinda, and the number of foreign raise down and down.

I often joke that I'm the only one left around!

Trakindo don't hire foreign anymore (as same than the or heavy equipment business).
                  Coal is down, but it's mainly the small mine without foreign employee who close down. Run like shit they can't make money out of it with the price going down.

Their is still a lot of chinese working in mine that you will never ever see.

When I go to imigrasi for my kitas, I saw their big board on the wall with the number of of visa they have make since the beginning of the year.
                  Since the beginning of the year they made only 1 kitap (and know who) and I will be the second somewhere this year and it will probably all for a long time!

Comment

I have no idea of how is it exactly in balikpapan. I'm in the next city, Samarinda, and the number of foreign raise down and down.

I often joke that I'm the only one left around!

Trakindo don't hire foreign anymore (as same than the or heavy equipment business).
                    Coal is down, but it's mainly the small mine without foreign employee who close down. Run like shit they can't make money out of it with the price going down.

Their is still a lot of chinese working in mine that you will never ever see.

When I go to imigrasi for my kitas, I saw their big board on the wall with the number of of visa they have make since the beginning of the year.
                    Since the beginning of the year they made only 1 kitap (and know who) and I will be the second somewhere this year and it will probably all for a long time!
                    Thanks Philippe

I think you might be right. Interesting comment about the Chinese miners.

Btw have you got anywhere with Dirjen in Jakarta??

Comment

• No john, no news at all, I'm waiting the ramadan end for start to make some call. I don't think it wil be of any use to call now.

Comment

• I could also have posted this in the 'Overcharged' thread but here we discussed the popularity of Bali, so there we go:

As of 1 November, the prices for vacations in Bali will decrease drastically. Especially for people coming from western Europe. The reason is that some big charter and vacation agencies get into a price war.

The three airlines from the UAE, have extended their European operations and included other airports. And obviously they compete more and more with the establishment like KLM, Air France, Malaysia Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

Corendon has launched an attack on other huge players, TUI and Thomas Cook, by offering all inclusive vacations to Sanur and Seminyak for less than €800. They signed a contract with Qatar Airways to use their Dreamliner (787). Good luck trying to find a flight (only) from RI to western Europe for that amount btw.
                        [FONT=arial black]
                        [/FONT]

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Flynn View Post
                          Good and bad I guess..More tourism in Indonesia, really means more in Bali. More tourists means more jobs for Indonesians..thats a positive. More tourist dollars spent will boost the economy. But, what they should be doing is making sure Bali can handle more tourism?? From my observation when I was last there in May, Its already beyond saturation in south. They need to implement a proper garbage disposal system, put a cap on development, upgrade infrastructure and implement planning to prevent further destruction of the environment. If they started doing positive things like that, then the world's press would be all over it, that would be a far better way to promote tourism than dropping VOA, which I don't think tourists care about at all. Still its a sign of change from new government and thinking outside the box..they using the principle of "catch more flies with honey, than vinegar. Lets face it Indonesia Govt should not penalise the tourist who make the effort to come, not hit them up for arrival and departure tax. Malaysia is a good example for Indonesia to follow. They have no fees, no forms to fill and a 3 month stay, automatic for many countries.

I agree, a bi-lateral waiver of the visa fees in both directions on principal is only fair. I think a tourist visa to Australia is currently $130 AUD. But thats in line with the pricing structure of everything else in Australia at the moment..ridiculously expensive. Having said that, the people who can afford to go to Australia from Indonesia have no problem paying the visa fee. To put it into perspective a pack of marlborough in Australia cost $20, hotel minimum $100 a night, average pub meal $20... a budget tourist needs about $200 a day to stay in Australia. Getting there is one thing, staying there is another. Far better we stay in Indo..
                          last yaer i obtained a tourist/visitor visa to australia for my wife,it cost about RP170,000 all up but it is a multiple entry visa so she can enter as many times as she likes in a 12 month period as long as she only stays 3 months at a time. It cost me AUD51 for a 1 month VOA recently to enter Indonesia...turns out Indonesia is more expensive to enter

Comment

• Originally posted by brodee View Post
                            last yaer i obtained a tourist/visitor visa to australia for my wife,it cost about RP170,000 all up but it is a multiple entry visa so she can enter as many times as she likes in a 12 month period as long as she only stays 3 months at a time. It cost me AUD51 for a 1 month VOA recently to enter Indonesia...turns out Indonesia is more expensive to enter
                            And what does an average one week stay in a 4 star hotel in Sydney cost compared to Bali? The taxi from the Sydney airport to the Rocks?

Apples and oranges.
                            Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

• Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
                              From montreal to Samarinda I count 2 day (which include a 10 hours of wait in between 2 plane)

The part I hated the most... After 1 day and half of travel, waiting in a long line for buy a stupid VOA. And them line again for stamp in the passport.

It's not interesting! And not encouraging to coming back!

Making the arrival more simple and straight foward is a good initiative for make the stay in indo more interesting.

Now, why not offering this to Australia? for piss them off? And send them in malay-thai-viet-pinoy?

Look... They are at the point to believe they could exchange voa for voa with european and nort-american country!!! Don't expect too much from them!
                              This article mention a drop of 30% of tourist from australia.
                              http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...cancel-flights

As you can expect they balme it on the ash from late eruption... Nothing to do with the fact they do everything they can for piss them off like not offering them the free VOA.

More recently they arbitrary refuse entrance to people (because they come too much oftenly to bali). Even if they cancel this ridiculousity, I would not be surprise it will have it's negative effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X