Indonesia to throw visa requirements out the window for main source markets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesia to throw visa requirements out the window for main source markets

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]INDONESIA will waive visa requirements for tourists from China, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Russia as well as introduce third-country visas next year.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Announcing this following a coordinating ministers' meeting this morning, Indonesia coordinating minister of maritime affairs, Indroyono Susilo, said: "A task force has been set up to make the (government regulation) amendments, with a target to implement this in 2015."[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Read more..

This is not really good news for the Indonesians.. as it will cause undesired competition in job market, especially the Chinese.. either way, a proper regulation should be made. Singapore is a good example how their citizen rants about not getting jobs and property market flunctuation.

Either way, its a thumbs down for me.. UNLESS the other party provides the same luxury as we did to them....
    [FONT=book antiqua]- Until a man finds something to die for, he has nothing to live for. -[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by delectrifying View Post
      This is not really good news for the Indonesians.. as it will cause undesired competition in job market, especially the Chinese.. either way, a proper regulation should be made. Singapore is a good example how their citizen rants about not getting jobs and property market flunctuation.

Either way, its a thumbs down for me.. UNLESS the other party provides the same luxury as we did to them....
      Tourist visas on arrival will be waived. Nothing to do with work visa. If anything it will create more jobs for Indonesians if it means more tourists. Though if these people can travel all the way to Indonesia, I don't think $25 will make such a difference.

Comment

Having read the article, I don't see this really doing anything much. They will do away with the VOA fee, which is $35. Cheapest round trip ticket to China I found was around $500. Article says average expenditure in Indonesia is $1,200. Total cost of trip is more than $1700.
        We're talking about a saving of %2.
        I don't see that changing my holiday plans. If we were talking about saving a significant amount of time or effort, so that I could get more utility out of the holiday, it would be different.

*El_Goretto, no fast typing. Unfair! I saw it first!

*edited to reflect the actual cost of a VOA (as opposed to that listed in the article) Thanks jaime c, post #9.
        Last edited by Happyman; 06-11-14, 02:34.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
          Tourist visas on arrival will be waived. Nothing to do with work visa. If anything it will create more jobs for Indonesians if it means more tourists. Though if these people can travel all the way to Indonesia, I don't think $25 will make such a difference.
          Originally posted by Happyman View Post
          Having read the article, I don't see this really doing anything much. They will do away with the VOA fee, which is $25. Cheapest round trip ticket to China I found was around $500. Article says average expenditure in Indonesia is $1,200. Total cost of trip is more than $1700.
          We're talking about a saving of %1.5.
          I don't see that changing my holiday plans. If we were talking about saving a significant amount of time or effort, so that I could get more utility out of the holiday, it would be different.!

These were my original thoughts also .... I just hung back because I also thought I may have been missing something

I went for a surf this morning, there were already 20 Russians in the water at daybreak ..... puts a new slant on "The Russians are Coming"
          Last edited by macvert; 05-11-14, 16:47.
          The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

How will this work?

[SIZE=2]"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]On the third-country visa programme, Indroyono said travellers who have gained entry to Singapore and Malaysia will be granted visa-free access to Indonesia"

The visa run to Singapore will just mean a simple turnaround and get the free visa on return? I kinda doubt it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The minister is new, so we'll forgive him the fact that the VOA fee is actually $35 now.

Even though a small gesture, it still means less red tape and less cost so it is a good thing. Remember that progress in Indonesia happens in small steps (sometimes so small that you think you're standing in place).

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                How will this work?

[SIZE=2]"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]On the third-country visa programme, Indroyono said travellers who have gained entry to Singapore and Malaysia will be granted visa-free access to Indonesia"

The visa run to Singapore will just mean a simple turnaround and get the free visa on return? I kinda doubt it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                I'm just guessing, but I think it is meant for nationals of other countries who are required to have real visas (ie. applied for at an Indonesian mission abroad, not VOAs). Those people now no longer need to get a visa if they have stamps from either Singapore or Malaysia in their passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
                  They will do away with the VOA fee, which is $25.
                  The VOA fee is $35.
                  Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Good and bad I guess..More tourism in Indonesia, really means more in Bali. More tourists means more jobs for Indonesians..thats a positive. More tourist dollars spent will boost the economy. But, what they should be doing is making sure Bali can handle more tourism?? From my observation when I was last there in May, Its already beyond saturation in south. They need to implement a proper garbage disposal system, put a cap on development, upgrade infrastructure and implement planning to prevent further destruction of the environment. If they started doing positive things like that, then the world's press would be all over it, that would be a far better way to promote tourism than dropping VOA, which I don't think tourists care about at all. Still its a sign of change from new government and thinking outside the box..they using the principle of "catch more flies with honey, than vinegar. Lets face it Indonesia Govt should not penalise the tourist who make the effort to come, not hit them up for arrival and departure tax. Malaysia is a good example for Indonesia to follow. They have no fees, no forms to fill and a 3 month stay, automatic for many countries.

I agree, a bi-lateral waiver of the visa fees in both directions on principal is only fair. I think a tourist visa to Australia is currently $130 AUD. But thats in line with the pricing structure of everything else in Australia at the moment..ridiculously expensive. Having said that, the people who can afford to go to Australia from Indonesia have no problem paying the visa fee. To put it into perspective a pack of marlborough in Australia cost $20, hotel minimum $100 a night, average pub meal $20... a budget tourist needs about $200 a day to stay in Australia. Getting there is one thing, staying there is another. Far better we stay in Indo..

Comment

Now for dual citizenship....

But yeah, i dont really see the point. It's not expensive for a VOA, especially considering how much it costs to get here. Will they also wave airport fees? Ah, wait, no...that's for leaving...

In other words, its a risk and the government will probably lose.
                      Last edited by OomBen; 06-11-14, 12:44.
                      Tolak orang gila

Comment

Originally posted by OomBen View Post
                        Now for dual citizenship....

But yeah, i dont really see the point. It's not expensive for a VOA, especially considering how much it costs to get here. Will they also wave airport fees? Ah, wait, no...that's for leaving...
                        My oldest daughter is visiting for 3 months. Do you realize how much of a pain it is renew the VOA, leave the country, and come back again? A multientry Sosbud probably should have been obtained, of course.

A 90 day VOA would have made it so much easier, or free VOA even better.
                        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

There is a while, following corruption, the gov made some change to the VOA... which the remove the 60 day VOA

If they really want rise the level of tourist, raising the 30 day to 90 would be a VERY more wise move than removing the fee.

Tourist visa in Canada is for 6 month minimum and you can ask for a year.
                          Indonesia... 30 day, and you can have the hassle to extend it for 30 more day... it's not really good tourist wise.
                          My self, at the point to have the trouble to out and in after 30 day... I would go for a VOA in another country!
                          La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

But is a free VOA the same as no VOA?

if not, it's useless (extensions etc.).

also, this really reminds me of one of those 'brilliant' ideas that pop up from time to time and of which we will never hear again...
                            [FONT=arial black]
                            [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
                              There is a while, following corruption, the gov made some change to the VOA... which the remove the 60 day VOA

If they really want rise the level of tourist, raising the 30 day to 90 would be a VERY more wise move than removing the fee.

Tourist visa in Canada is for 6 month minimum and you can ask for a year.
                              Indonesia... 30 day, and you can have the hassle to extend it for 30 more day... it's not really good tourist wise.
                              My self, at the point to have the trouble to out and in after 30 day... I would go for a VOA in another country!
                              I second this. Some friends who came to Indonesia recently had planned 40 days here. They ended up leaving early, rather than overstay or go out and come back. They were staying in nice hotels and diving. Spent a lot of money, but it could have been more. They ended up staying longer in Singapore.
                              Last edited by Happyman; 06-11-14, 13:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X