Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite Religion-That-Is-Not-My-Own?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite Religion-That-Is-Not-My-Own?

So, I'll start by quoting from another thread, "My favorite religion-that-is-not-mine is Buddhism. I don't remember ever being harassed about my religion or lack thereof by a Buddhist. This may be asinine, but I don't remember ever being inconvenienced by a Buddhist's need to comply with his religion's rules, either. Then again, I don't really know many Buddhists. "

Anyway, I don't really know much about any religion except for Christianity, and am interested in any positive things anyone has to say about their interactions with people from other religions.

I do note that my own post may not be the most shining-er-est of endorsements (due mostly to an honest lack of experience or ignorance of world events), but I hope that if this thread starts being more about direct and confrontational bashing than sharing positive experience, the Moderators will shut it down.

Pastafarianism: If they allowed it in Indonesia, I would certainly change my ID card to reflect it. It seems so much better than my currently stated religion. I've never been bothered by a Pastafarian and I do like their version of Heaven. Even their Hell isn't so bad if you have some CO2, Ice and penicillin:

Afterlife

[COLOR=#252525][FONT=sans-serif]The Pastafarian conception of Heaven includes a beer volcano and a stripper factory.[35] The Pastafarian Hell is similar, except that the beer is stale and the strippers have sexually transmitted diseases.[37]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Comment

Originally posted by vanuatu View Post
      Pastafarianism:
      Afterlife

[COLOR=#252525][FONT=sans-serif] The Pastafarian Hell is similar, except that the beer is stale and the strippers have sexually transmitted diseases.[37]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

I think this place is at Blok M........

Comment

Originally posted by akubrahat View Post
        I think this place is at Blok M........

I think to many that is considered Jakarta's version of heaven

Comment

Originally posted by vanuatu View Post
          I think to many that is considered Jakarta's version of heaven
          There are plenty of heavens in JaKARTA - none liked by FPI!!

Comment

Pastafarianism does seem nice. And, because the beginnings of the religion are so shrouded in mystery, there is no conflict about who is right or wrong. Some of the Pastifarians I know actually insist that heaven has slightly more wine than beer, but by then time the next round comes, they've already switched over to a discussion of whether the prostitutes will do cos-play or not. It seems a very live-and-let-drink sort of thing.

Actually, my experience in Indonesia, regarding religion, is almost nil, and I've been here a while now. I mean, yeah, people do their prayers, there are religious holidays, but nobody has tried to convert me to anything yet. I think I've heard people discussing theology like twice in the last two years. Course, you kind of expect that when you go to Mass.

Comment

Buddhism has a serious "kumbaya" rep in the west. I guess these fans have never been to Thailand, where they "defrock" politically active monks and can jail anyone who says "I am enlightened". When I lived there in the 1980s, Muslim villages routinely had their kepala desa "assigned" by the admin in Bangkok, and he was a Buddhist, not a Muslim. Wearing a hijab at public university was a major issue circa 1990 and when the government finally relented and permitted it, the *Buddhist* faculty protested about the change in regulations.

But forget Thailand, look at Japan where the war that inaugurated the Kamakura Era in the 12th century was led by Zen monks trained in martial arts.

To me, all religions have good and bad in them. Perhaps Buddhism is my favorite in the sense of seeing so much ethereal cereal fluff and nonsense about it being spouted by non-believers. Or by supposed atheists like the bombastic Sam Harris.

Comment

What is a Sam Harris? Now you say that, I wonder if there is one religion out there with more than .005% of world population, who has never had a follower(?) commit a murder.
                Ok, I'll go with modern day Quakers, then. UK, not US. The Society of Friends: 1. Have no sermons, one is encouraged to find one's own path 2. Encourage meaningful introspection, in meeting they sit for an hour in silence, unless someone wants to say something that he feels will benefit the hearers 3. Do not allow dissent in their meetings, one is not meant to respond to another's sharing (it aint a frickin conversation) 4.Abstain from violence 5.Seem to accept all.

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
                  Buddhism has a serious "kumbaya" rep in the west. I guess these fans have never been to Thailand, where they "defrock" politically active monks and can jail anyone who says "I am enlightened". When I lived there in the 1980s, Muslim villages routinely had their kepala desa "assigned" by the admin in Bangkok, and he was a Buddhist, not a Muslim. Wearing a hijab at public university was a major issue circa 1990 and when the government finally relented and permitted it, the *Buddhist* faculty protested about the change in regulations.

But forget Thailand, look at Japan where the war that inaugurated the Kamakura Era in the 12th century was led by Zen monks trained in martial arts.
                  You didn't even mention the events in Western and Central Myanmar in the past two or three years: burning houses and villages, looting and burning shops owned by those of "another" religion, murder ... often by mobs led by monks, who have fostered a political movement ("969") based on the concept of "Bhuddist supremacism".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/969_Movement

That aside, just as violent extremists using the name of Islam does not make Islam a "bad religion" (depending on whom one asks), the same applies for Bhuddism. On balance, I think Bhuddism and, following it, Hinduism (yes, a wildly polytheistic religion) are the most appealing religions to me (other than my own). Bhuddism is, strictly speaking, the most pragmatic religion. Hinduism is, I think, a wildly imaginative, complex and apparently chaotic mythological system which attempts to resolve seeming paradoxes of life, science and existence in an interesting way.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
                    What is a Sam Harris?
                    I know a man called Sam.

He does not like green eggs and ham.

Not in a box with a fox. Not in a tree with a bee. Not in a house with a mouse. Not in the rain, not on a train.

(shrug)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Cheondoism seems interesting, if only for the fact that it is thriving in North Korea.

Top-10-religions-you-never-knew-existed
                      Take my advice, I don't need it.

Comment

What about Cao Dai from Niko's link (above) that seems like a really interesting religion. I actually kind of think that's one of the things Catholicism has going on for it, the mystery and complexity. My family's Independent Baptist, what you see is what you get. It seems like it would be interesting to learn and think through all of those seriously complex ideas in Caio Dai and Chendoism. Must have so many layers to it...

Comment

None of the above.

Comment

Neoplatonism.

Comment

yardism lool

Comment

Working...
                              X