Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesian Universities Compare to others in Asia

http://m.detik.com/news/read/2014/05...i-peringkatnya

I wrote somewhere that I was graduated from the top 5 universities in Indonesia. Based on the article above, I can say that I was graduated from the top 3.

Yeah I know we are still behind compare to other Asia countries, but I love to brag.. At least the top 3 of the country..

It is nice to know that you belong to a good institution. However, may I point out that those ranking systems are fraught with inaccuracies when used? For instance, the criteria used by one system are;
    Weighting of assessment include
    academic reputation (30%),
    employee reputation (10%),
    the ratio of students / faculty (20%),
    scientific papers ( paper ) per faculty (15%),
    the title of a scientific paper (15%),
    internationalization (5%),
    incoming exchange students (2.5%) and
    exchange students out (2.5%).

Are all of those relevant to your experience? Does "scientific papers ( paper ) per faculty (15%)," mean that the University employs good teachers or lecturers? Nope, it does not.

Does academic reputation (30%) mean that all faculty areas are great? Nope, it does not. For instance Glascow School of Art is ranked no 10 in the world, but I would not go there to learn medicine.

Scientific papers (15%) are biased towards English language papers.

I am not discouraging your post Missnaughty, just pointing out that University (and indeed, school reputations) are a whole lot more complicated and variable than any simple ranking system can indicate.

Comment

I think what they did just a simple overall rating. Of course if you see per faculty it would need more details assessment. Like you said about Glasgow universities, if you want to learn medicine you don't go to ITB.. They simply don't have it.

Comment

I don't know what you mean by "simple overall rating" -- that's the "score" they show, but any responsible org will have a footnote or link that explains how they derived it. I think Princeton Review and/or US News ratings of US colleges actually weight "applications/acceptances" ratio which means the harder it is to get into, the higher they rate it -- a kind of self-fulfilling virtuous circle (or vicious circle if you're applying).

Comment

What I mean, they do not look at it per faculty but universities as a whole. For example ITB (engineering university) against UNAIR (This one doesn't have engineering faculty). They assessed scientific papers produced by those universities.. Let say UNAIR published 11 yearly compare ITB 15 yearly (this is just example, I am not sure how they assessed in real life), so we can say that ITB has better position than UNAIR. Also, I heard from my father, the more professor they have, the higher rank they will get. That is why a professor in universities get pay well. The universities need it to establish their rank. That is what I mean by simple overall rating.. They don't do assessment per faculty like comparing 1 faculty in one university to the same faculty at other university. I think by looking at the quality of the lecturers (simply we can measure from the qualification of the lecturers) and the amount scientific papers published, we can measure the quality of education a university deliver .. And this reputation will lead more applicants and will make competition higher.
          Last edited by Missnaughty; 07-09-14, 22:46.

Comment

Yes, that makes sense. Indonesia, for example, tends to have FAKULTAS in places where US colleges would have Department (e.g., Psychology), as well as situations where US colleges would say School (as in School of Engineering).

Comment

Working...
            X