Ebola Spiraling Out of Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see how this works

"[COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]Doctors in Sierra Leone are to start their own clinical trial, using the blood of Ebola survivors, to speed up the search for a cure for the disease, which has so far killed more than 5,000 people in west Africa.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]The trial, organised by a global group of Sierra Leonean medics, will take place in parallel with similar trials announced last week by Médecins Sans Frontières to be run in Guinea in December.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]The Sierra Leone Action Group has some 200 survivors registered as possible donors, and hopes to start banking their blood plasma in mid-December after receiving equipment donated by a US medical devices firm. Scientists hope that the antibodies in the blood of people who have recovered from the disease will help other patients fight the infection".
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...bola-survivors[/FONT][/COLOR]
    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Ebola survivor in India quarantined due to the presence of the virus in his semen… http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsod...fectious-semen

Not so much news recently from Africa about Ebola, is it because not many journalist want to go there?

Comment

• http://www.voanews.com/content/mali-...d/2523591.html

Not hearing much about this, though this is what I believe to be the greatest threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
          http://www.voanews.com/content/mali-...d/2523591.html

Not hearing much about this, though this is what I believe to be the greatest threat.
          From the article. It can't be an easy task locating so many people. Then there's the secondary contact.

"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Over the weekend volunteers and medical staff searched for more than 500 people, thought to have had contact with the Imam or the nurse. The number of contacts is likely to rise in the coming days, according to Sow.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]“The first day we had less than 100 contacts," he said. "Then there were 180. It rose to 442 up to now when we have identified 552 contacts. I told my team this morning to not rest until they find all of them. By the end of this week I expect we’ll have identified over 1,000 people."[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]The rising number of possible contacts is good news, said the doctor.[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]“The key to contain and fight Ebola is to find as many contacts as possible and then make sure they’re isolated and monitored,” said Sow".[/FONT][/COLOR]
          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• This kind of crap makes my blood boil. In the midst of such a serious situation some wanker is creaming off money meant for those working in very dangerous situations.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]"Burial workers in the Sierra Leonean city of Kenema have dumped bodies in public in protest at non-payment of allowances for handling Ebola victims.[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]The workers, who went on strike over the issue, left 15 bodies abandoned at the city's main hospital.[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]One of the bodies was reportedly left by the hospital manager's office and two others by the hospital entrance.[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]The workers have now been sacked for treating the corpses in a "very, very inhumane" way, an official said".

And further on:
            "He said there would be an investigation into why workers had not been paid, since both the government and World Bank had released money for high-risk pay to district health management teams.[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]"Somebody somewhere has to investigate where these monies have been going, who have been paid these monies... Action will definitely be taken against those who delayed their pay," Mr Tunis told the BBC".
            http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30191938 [/FONT][/COLOR]
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by lantern View Post
              This kind of crap makes my blood boil. In the midst of such a serious situation some wanker is creaming off money meant for those working in very dangerous situations.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]"Burial workers in the Sierra Leonean city of Kenema have dumped bodies in public in protest at non-payment of allowances for handling Ebola victims.[/FONT][/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]The workers, who went on strike over the issue, left 15 bodies abandoned at the city's main hospital.[/FONT][/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]One of the bodies was reportedly left by the hospital manager's office and two others by the hospital entrance.[/FONT][/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]The workers have now been sacked for treating the corpses in a "very, very inhumane" way, an official said".

And further on:
              "He said there would be an investigation into why workers had not been paid, since both the government and World Bank had released money for high-risk pay to district health management teams.[/FONT][/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]"Somebody somewhere has to investigate where these monies have been going, who have been paid these monies... Action will definitely be taken against those who delayed their pay," Mr Tunis told the BBC".
              http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30191938 [/FONT][/COLOR]
              How many billions of dollars have been made available specifically for Ebola? I can imagine like many things it is just another reason for government people to get richer, charities to siphon off funds as administrative cost, war lords to control what is and isn't allowed past them in their regions, and the guy sitting in the office that pays grave diggers but figures they will all be dying so might as well pocket their wages.
              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

• The disease is still on the march.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]"The number of people with Ebola in west Africa has risen above 16,000, with the death toll from the outbreak reaching almost 7,000, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]The number of deaths is more than 1,000 higher than the figure issued by the WHO just two days ago, but it is thought to include deaths that have gone unreported in the weeks or months since the outbreak began. Most of the new deaths were recorded in Liberia.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]The WHO has warned that its figures could be a significant underestimation of the number of infections and deaths. Data from the outbreak has been patchy and the totals often rise considerably when backlogs of information are cleared. The latest confirmed data shows that almost half those known to have been infected with Ebola have died".
                http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...t-africa-16000[/FONT][/COLOR]
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The disease is still on the march.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]"The number of people with Ebola in west Africa has risen above 16,000, with the death toll from the outbreak reaching almost 7,000, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]The number of deaths is more than 1,000 higher than the figure issued by the WHO just two days ago, but it is thought to include deaths that have gone unreported in the weeks or months since the outbreak began. Most of the new deaths were recorded in Liberia.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]The WHO has warned that its figures could be a significant underestimation of the number of infections and deaths. Data from the outbreak has been patchy and the totals often rise considerably when backlogs of information are cleared. The latest confirmed data shows that almost half those known to have been infected with Ebola have died".
                  http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...t-africa-16000[/FONT][/COLOR]
                  Ebola certainly seems to be yesterday's news for some reason.
                  Things happen for a reason...

Comment

• Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                    Ebola certainly seems to be yesterday's news for some reason.
                    People have a short attention span. In the Guardian newspaper that particular story was below a headline about a comedian who stated that he wouldn't take part in Strictly Come Dancing TV show!
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

People have a short attention span. In the Guardian newspaper that particular story was below a headline about a comedian who stated that he wouldn't take part in Strictly Come Dancing TV show!
                      Yep. Sadly so.

Apathy is is such a major undercurrent of today's society. I wonder why?
                      Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Working...
                      X