Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could having elections during Ramadan sway undecided voters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could having elections during Ramadan sway undecided voters?

Many of my Muslim friends seem to change during Ramadan. During the rest of the year they never really mention religion or even pray too much. But when Ramadan starts they become very religious, pray a lot more and really get into the spirit of Islam. Some of them say they miss this feeling and will continue to focus more on religion after Ramadan finishes - followed by a smile that suggests that they say that every year.

Reminds me of my friends back home who start exercising, swear they feel great and will keep it up forever - then slip back into couch surfing and Xbox.

So are Prabowo's team doing a very clever thing by really pushing the Muslim card? Seeing that so many are in mega proud religious mode could the timing of this election sway a lot of the undecided voters?

Or or am I just talking sh.... poo poo?

Could work the other way? Usually during fasting the brain is more alert, and picks up a lot quicker after meals rather than have the lethargic feeling when eating 3 or more times per day. That's how I feel anyway during a fast after the first couple of days. When I say fasting I mean the healthy kind where you must drink plenty of water throughout the day to cleanse your system and keep you hydrated, and eating sensibly and cleanly when you break the fast, be it 16hrs to 24hrs. But on the other hand Some Indonesians gorge on fried chicken and sweet drinks and big fist fulls of white rice lacking much nutritional value, nothing for the brain, followed by no water at all for how many hours which must be absolutely awful in Indonesia's climate, followed by an even bigger binge in the night with more junk. So it depends what kind of fasting they are up to, the later tend to dumb down and are in zombie mode throughout the duration, so perhaps they will forget to vote.
    Last edited by Donting101; 02-07-14, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Donting101 View Post
      Could work the other way? Usually during fasting the brain is more alert, and picks up a lot quicker after meals rather than have the lethargic feeling when eating 3 or more times per day. That's how I feel anyway during a fast after the first couple of days. When I say fasting I mean the healthy kind where you must drink plenty of water throughout the day to cleanse your system and keep you hydrated, and eating sensibly and cleanly when you break the fast, be it 16hrs to 24hrs. But on the other hand Some Indonesians gorge on fried chicken and sweet drinks and big fist fulls of white rice lacking much nutritional value, nothing for the brain, followed by no water at all for how many hours which must be absolutely awful in Indonesia's climate, followed by an even bigger binge in the night with more junk. So it depends what kind of fasting they are up to, the later tend to dumb down and are in zombie mode throughout the duration, so perhaps they will forget to vote.
      I believe most put on weight over Ramadan!! Eating at the wrong time combined with poor diet and lack of exercise I think.

Comment

I saw one of my students in KFC yesterday, it looked like she had bought enough chicken to feed a small village, boxes and boxes of the stuff. When I asked her if she was having a party she said no, this was for her family to break fast with. 2 parents, herself and a small brother, eating enough chicken to feed about 12 people. I am not sure this is what the prophet had in mind at all. It's not so much fasting as binge eating. Shovel as much food down your neck as your stomach can hold, then lie around the house complaining you are starving until the sun goes down then repeat. Not many poor people can afford to do this so I am not really sure how this is following the idea of why muslims fast in the first place.
        "He who has no manners has no knowledge..."

Comment

There are so many exemptions to fasting (aged, infirm, hard labor, travel, pregnant, nursing, menstruating, etc.) that one wonders if it was actually a privilege for the elite (those not doing hard labor a millennium ago) as much as it was a religious obligation.

The student needs to see a dietician. There are some foods that will affect your glucose level in a way that will make it harder to fast even if you consume a lot of those items. Sometimes less is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fizzywig View Post
            I saw one of my students in KFC yesterday, it looked like she had bought enough chicken to feed a small village, boxes and boxes of the stuff. When I asked her if she was having a party she said no, this was for her family to break fast with. 2 parents, herself and a small brother, eating enough chicken to feed about 12 people. I am not sure this is what the prophet had in mind at all. It's not so much fasting as binge eating. Shovel as much food down your neck as your stomach can hold, then lie around the house complaining you are starving until the sun goes down then repeat. Not many poor people can afford to do this so I am not really sure how this is following the idea of why muslims fast in the first place.
            hit the nail on the head

for most it seems, the actual reason for the fast is forgotten (or never known in the first place) making the whole practice a complete waste of time. If you are going to gorge out every day before and after the fast, then what's the point? That to me is a bigger 'sin' than not doing the fast at all. Although the bearded pajama wearing dudes may disagree, as the book says so, regardless of their gluttonous loop hole

Comment

Beg to disagree. My wife cooks and/or buys a large variety of items so that the members of the household who are fasting can be sure of finding something that fits their "selera" before dawn. Easy to imagine that other families do the same and this can lead to overeating -- I'm not fasting but I do tend to gorge more when I see the larger variety in the spread.

Comment

My wife and I have seen quite a few fasters in fact have a bit to eat or drink during daylight hours. Some of the ones we knew were asked about it. Seems the part about hard labor has been changed to working hard no matter your job. To them a little snack and drink is OK. Helping a child finish their meal in a mall cafe also seems to be acceptable. No waste I guess.

It seems to me that if someone can come up with the smallest of excuses for not fasting fully, they will.
                [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Well, I suppose you're right FP -- in fact, I saw a couple of moms in jilbab "supervising" their kids having lunch at A&W in Solo Square yesterday.

But isn't the "smallest of excuses" argument precisely while FPI and the other screamers insist on curtains over the windows?

FYI, JCo did not have curtains, probably because Solo Square is set back from the road quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X