Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as moderate Islam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mr B

    Read this as it is, from a novice.

    Once a while ago, I was taken aback when a muslim gave some money for what I thought was a needy cause. It turned out it could not count as zakat as it was not given with that intent.

    It seems, at least to me, that this is another area for a long round of debate. Which I don't want to join.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by johntap View Post
      Mr B

      Read this as it is, from a novice.

      Once a while ago, I was taken aback when a muslim gave some money for what I thought was a needy cause. It turned out it could not count as zakat as it was not given with that intent.

      It seems, at least to me, that this is another area for a long round of debate. Which I don't want to join.
      Yes, intention is very important, that's true.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

      The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

      Comment


      • Just visited a remote village today and volunteered to install a solar PV system for their electricity. There's a sand and gravel pit at the village below the one I visited. People have died because of the land slides caused by the erosion of the pit. I was told that everyone just says it's "nasib" instead of doing something about the gravel pit. Are they good muslims then?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
          Just visited a remote village today and volunteered to install a solar PV system for their electricity. There's a sand and gravel pit at the village below the one I visited. People have died because of the land slides caused by the erosion of the pit. I was told that everyone just says it's "nasib" instead of doing something about the gravel pit. Are they good muslims then?
          ???


          Sorry, what the heck are you talking about? Are they good Muslims because they believe in destiny? Not necessarily so or not so, but Muslims do believe in destiny as part of our faith.

          What's your point again? They should try to fix the problem with the gravel pit, like stabilize it? Sure, of course they should. Maybe they don't know how. That's not because of Islam, I think, though I'm pretty sure you've got a way of explaining how it is.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

          The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

          Comment


          • MB: They believed it was destiny that those people died of a preventable cause. And according to what I've heard on this board about being good Muslims, part of that is to accept one's destiny. And this incident seems to bear that view since these villagers certainly mentioned that it was willed by God that those people died.

            My question is as simple as that.

            Although for me, this acceptance isn't because they're Muslims. It's because they don't know any better, not sure how to explain what's happening around them, and currently unable to reason out why things are happening around them. So they took the easy way out and attributed it to God. And Islam provides an easy way for this. Islam didn't cause this, so no I don't have an explanation on how Islam is the cause of this, I don't even believe that. I believe that these people are using Islam as an excuse for their "preventable destiny".

            Comment


            • Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
              MB: They believed it was destiny that those people died of a preventable cause. And according to what I've heard on this board about being good Muslims, part of that is to accept one's destiny. And this incident seems to bear that view since these villagers certainly mentioned that it was willed by God that those people died.

              My question is as simple as that.

              Although for me, this acceptance isn't because they're Muslims. It's because they don't know any better, not sure how to explain what's happening around them, and currently unable to reason out why things are happening around them. So they took the easy way out and attributed it to God. And Islam provides an easy way for this. Islam didn't cause this, so no I don't have an explanation on how Islam is the cause of this, I don't even believe that. I believe that these people are using Islam as an excuse for their "preventable destiny".
              I meant that I thought you were going to say that following Islam is the reason they are ignorant about the science / physical cause / effect relationship of the gravel pit, the landslides (I'm assuming from your description this is in a mountainous area) etc.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

              The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

              Comment


              • Interesting article in the UK Telegraph

                [SIZE=2][FONT=arial]"[COLOR=#282828]Hossein Askari, an Iranian-born professor of International Business and International Affairs at George Washington University, said Muslim countries used religion as an instrument of state control. He said: “We must emphasise that many countries that profess Islam and are called Islamic are unjust, corrupt, and underdeveloped and are in fact not ‘Islamic’ by any stretch of the imagination.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR=#282828][FONT=georgia][FONT=arial][SIZE=2]“Looking at an index of Economic Islamicity, or how closely the policies and achievements of countries reflect Islamic economic teachings - Ireland, Denmark, Luxembourg, Sweden, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Singapore, Finland, Norway, and Belgium round up the first 10”
                http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...tates-lag.html
                [/SIZE]
                [/FONT]
                [/FONT][/COLOR]
                "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                George Bernard Shaw

                Comment


                • UK Arranges Investor Meetings for Islamic Bond Issuance
                  Wall Street Journal ‎- 1 day ago
                  A sukuk from the U.K. government should therefore attract strong ... settles and is rated in a similar way to non-Sharia compliant bonds, but is

                  Comment


                  • Possibly not in Nigeria - "[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]Analysts say Islamist militant groups, including Boko Haram, have described football as un-Islamic."[/FONT][/COLOR]

                    Comment


                    • So Football is unIslamic, better tell the Indonesian girls team I watched on the weekend playing, some quite good, very enthusiastic, sure they will be thrilled to know they aren't good muslims

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                        So Football is unIslamic, better tell the Indonesian girls team I watched on the weekend playing, some quite good, very enthusiastic, sure they will be thrilled to know they aren't good muslims
                        Were they covering their legs and heads like the Iranian team (womens)?

                        Comment


                        • I read an interesting article about Warren Jeffs, prophet of the breakaway mormons (FLDS).

                          "Jeffs has managed to write a book while in prison - full of revelations he says Jesus Christ has made to him."

                          "Their leader between 1954 and 1986 was Leroy "Uncle Roy" Johnson, who married a 12-year-old. He was succeeded by Warren Jeffs's father, Rulon, who was rumoured to have as many as 75 wives and 65 children. Krakauer writes that Rulon traced "his divinely ordained leadership in an unbroken chain" directly to Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon church."

                          "Roger Hoole, the lawyer who represented Lorin Holm, says "I would say when you cloak yourself in a religious shroud you can get away with a lot of things. [Jeffs is] nothing but a fraud and a paedophile but he won't allow his people to believe that, or see any media that explains it. They're still blindly following him.""
                          "When you have 10,000 to 20,000 people every day bow down to you and worship you because they think you are God, sooner or later you'll start believing it. Warren Jeffs is caught in that rift. And it's very dangerous."

                          "Until 2012, the six men who make up the marshal's office - all followers of Jeffs - were the town's only law enforcement body. "And," Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne told a local TV station, "they enforce the edicts of Warren Jeffs and not the law."


                          the parallels are uncanny - divine revelations, writing a book, direct chain to founder, underage marriages, own legal system.

                          Comment


                          • ^lol


                            i was reading a cool wiki page today on the timeline of religions, pick-out any 1 religion, such as Islam and you'll see really it is such a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things.

                            http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_religion

                            knowing how many religions existed before yours, and during and after, I'm still perplexed how a 'religious' person can really believe wholeheartedly that their one is correct and All the others are wrong? Absolutely fascinating

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Michael2014 View Post
                              Were they covering their legs and heads like the Iranian team (womens)?
                              They wear shorts, nice legs too, Damn now I won't go to heaven

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X