X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jstar View Post
    HR-V: 250-300 juta
    BR-V: 225-265 juta

I only included the (identical) 1.5 liter engines.

They position it like this: Mobilio -> BR-V -> HR-V -> CR-V

The 'automatic' in this case is a CVT btw, which is better for smaller engines. It has no gear steps, it is continuous. Nothing wrong with that, an X-Trail has one too. The only criticism is that it can be a bit loud, depending on the driving style.
    HI Jstar

thanks for ongoing input on this thread. The family takes a while to make a purchase when it comes to cars. I don't drive.

Could you let me know about:

1. whether the fuel efficiency of HR-V would be so different from the others mentioned, and the Honda City as well.
    2. Not having experienced the gearbox type you mentioned, I'd like to ask if this "continuous model" can be made constant. In other words, can the car be put in first (semi-permanently) if there is a need?

Comment

• look here, it will help you understand.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nsmission.html
      [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

• The HR-V will consume more or less the same amount of gasoline as the other Honda models with the same engine. Since you can not really drive 130+ in Jakarta, the aeordynamics (Cx value) doesn't play such a big role as the weight of the vehicle.

Thanks for the article Jim. About the practicality of a CVT: It is more or less the same driving experience as an automatic, so withouth clutch. But you won't hear the car change gears since there are none. So there is obviously not something as a kick-down to force a lower gear or so. And that explains a bit the noise when you are not so subtle with the accelerator. Don't forget the BR-V also doesn't have an automatic, it's not only the HR-V.
        Last edited by jstar; 16-02-16, 15:36.
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

• Some new cars coming our way:

Well, new...the Mazda VX-1 is refurbished. The facelift makes perfect sense since the car is in fact a Suzuki Ertiga. Which also got a facelift.

I have never seen the car on the road and really wonder who buys it.

Another car you won't see that often, is the Range Rover Evoque Convertible. Really, a topless SUV. The normal Evoque, a baby Range Rover, is amazingly expensive in Europe so you can imagine the price over here. (1,3 Milyar is the price of a closed version.)

I know a forum member in Kalimantan who will get a woody after reading this: The Suzuki Jimny will make a (r)entrée on the Indonesian market! No assembly, direct import from Japan so I wonder what the price will be.

Last edited by jstar; 16-02-16, 18:30. Reason: pics
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

• Thanks Jim and Jstar.

I read that article. Have things got better since that was written? eg noise due to revving

I am assuming with this gearing, one only has to select neutral or drive? Can the car be push-started? Can one engage a low gear if necessary?

Comment

• Just like an automatic, you can not push start a CVT (always take jump-start cables!). And a gear selection is not possible, although very expensive versions on bigger sized engines have some facilities to make it look more like an automatic.

CVT has made quite a comeback; it was in fact a Dutch invention. I remember when I was very young my eldest uncle drove a DAF; that brand had that system. Since it had a somewhat retiree image and other brands did not jump on the wagon, there was a quiet death.
              [FONT=arial black]
              [/FONT]

Comment

Just like an automatic, you can not push start a CVT (always take jump-start cables!). ............

CVT has made quite a comeback; it was in fact a Dutch invention. I remember when I was very young my eldest uncle drove a DAF; that brand had that system. Since it had a somewhat retiree image ..............
                Do you think the crank handle will come back?? (for when there are no other cars around?)

The fact that the DAF died mid seventies is a worry is it not? It's rare that 'failed' technology comes back.

My remaining concern is the longevity of the belt - our Vios automatic has now done 120k in town and the gearbox is still good.

Comment

• A bit like Mazda still pouring money into the Wankel Engine concept.

Thinking about 'old' technologies that make a come-back; another thing that is creeping back in, is Four Wheel Steering (4WS). (So the back wheels will steer in the opposite direction as the front wheels.) It was used by companies like Honda (mechanical) and Mazda (electronic) in the past but both threw it out; too heavy, too complex, too vulnerable, too expensive. But Nissan kept on developing the system and now its partner Renault is implementing it in their new models, they see it as a competitive advantage.

The new CVT is much better as the one in the DAF cars; the belt is not the weak link anymore since they use metal now.
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

• It was my wife who like the Jimny when we saw one on the road here. It look good but I would not buy one.
                    La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

A bit like Mazda still pouring money into the Wankel Engine concept.

Thinking about 'old' technologies that make a come-back; another thing that is creeping back in, is Four Wheel Steering (4WS). (So the back wheels will steer in the opposite direction as the front wheels.) It was used by companies like Honda (mechanical) and Mazda (electronic) in the past but both threw it out; too heavy, too complex, too vulnerable, too expensive. But Nissan kept on developing the system and now its partner Renault is implementing it in their new models, they see it as a competitive advantage.

The new CVT is much better as the one in the DAF cars; the belt is not the weak link anymore since they use metal now.
                      Mazda have always play with uncommon technology. (turbo, wankel, miller cycle, etc)

I'm not a big fan of CVT. I'don't really know how it is today with the last development, but the first one where acting like a normal transmission, using a range of specific ration. Only the muber of "step" were diffrent (7?) and the chnage of ration more smooth. They didn't use a continual change of ratio, so you could somehow downshifting.
                      I have always find this ridicolous as it give up the highest advantage of a CVT... and make it a joke that they call it CONTINUAL variable transmission.
                      La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Working...
                      X