No announcement yet.

Possible cracks in the Avanza bulwark?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible cracks in the Avanza bulwark?

Personally I think the Avanza post-facelift looks rather good. And so does the Daihatsu sibling. But wonder if these two newbies have the potential to nibble somewhat of the market share in the 'city people movers' arena in Indonesia.

Cost-wise they are very comparable. The question is if course: What about the resale value? In a country where Toyota and Honda completely dominate the secondhand market, it will be hard to compete.

Suzuki Ertiga.
    It still had no 'Veloz' version (to stay in the Toyota terminology). And at introduction also no automatic and no aircon blower for the rear seats.

Nissan Evalia.
    It has a bit more of a truck feel to it. Which is not so weird when you consider it is derived from the transporter NV200 which has been on sale for some time now in Europe. (And India I believe.) I love a sliding door in city parking, but is sliding too (?!) and can only open on the 'Veloz' (XV) version, so then the rear window looks kind of strange. There is an automatic version available. The rear blower is positioned on the 3rd row. This car might cannibalize the (Grand) Livina market share, especially since that one is rather expensive. The XV version seems to have a rear view camera but seeing and feeling it, it is a very 'basic' car.

Last edited by jstar; 11-09-12, 16:30.
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

We went to a Toyota and Suzuki dealership this weekend. I'd prefer a nice used model, but the price differential is often so close, for a 8 year old car.

The Ertiga looks great from the outside. Ugly seat covering design, and plastic moldings for the door panel. The plastic also seemed quite thin and cheap. Seat was comfortable, and front ones very adjustable. The third row is very tight, maybe for kids. Top of the line does have dual airbags. I think all models have ABS. 167 jt. No discounts, just window tinting, etc. I thought these were being made in Bekasi, but were told they were from India right now. Overall, for an Indonesian model, I'd give it an 8. 3 month waiting list.

Looked at the Toyota Rush and Avanza. Kept bumping my head on the rear air blower on the Rush. The seats on the Avanza don't seem to have much padding, so didn't bump my head as much. The interior just seemed bland on the Avanza. 1.3 or 1.5 liter engines. No airbags. Short seatbelt, not adjustable for height on the Veloz model I checked out. Many models, from 150 something jt to about 200. Impressed with outside, very disappointed with interior form and function. Available now. I'd give it a 6.5.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

I owned a Rush, and liked it well enough for it was, except for the quite average fuel consumption. Suzuki is traditionally let down by its poor interiors. A good example is the Splash which looks pretty spiffy on the outside, but the inside clearly lags against the competition.

Comment

You can really see they cut corners and want to save money. Plastic molding okay, but on safety? It is rather amazing most of these cars have only one airbag (steer driver). The Nissan Evalia is available is Europe too (also in 1.5 diesel) and there it has up to 4 airbags so it's no design flaw.

All these cars are in the 150-185 million price range. For a Rush you have to cough up 100 million extra, then I would go for the Honda Freed.
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

Most models that I saw had 0 airbags. Didn't see any Nissans. I think the top of the line Rush may have one, or maybe that is ABS. I'm looking at the 150-175 jt price range, so most imported stuff is out of range. In general I like Hondas, but they're out of my budget. I'll probably still go used.

Originally posted by jstar View Post
          You can really see they cut corners and want to save money. Plastic molding okay, but on safety? It is rather amazing most of these cars have only one airbag (steer driver). The Nissan Evalia is available is Europe too (also in 1.5 diesel) and there it has up to 4 airbags so it's no design flaw.

All these cars are in the 150-185 million price range. For a Rush you have to cough up 100 million extra, then I would go for the Honda Freed.
          Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Just read in jakpost that the Indian people-mover TATA will soon be assembled and sold in Jakarta. Will be interesting to see its price and effective marketing.

Comment

If I remember correctly my Rush had both airbags and ABS. One advantage of the Rush is its relatively high ground clearance.

Comment

I always look at the new Avanza and think it has been in a crash when viewed from the back.
                [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                  The third row is very tight, maybe for kids. ......167 jt. No discounts, just window tinting, etc..................Kept bumping my head on the rear air blower on the Rush. The seats on the Avanza don't seem to have much padding, so didn't bump my head as much. The interior just seemed bland on the Avanza.
                  The Nissan Evalia has much more headroom. And the 3rd row didn't seem that bad. The vertical back and high roof make it quite spacious; between 900 and 2900 liter.

I think it's also positive it's being sold in Europe; their scrutinizing gives you a certain indication of the quality and safety etc. (cf. airlines that fly there). And future recalls will probably be worldwide and easier to follow up on when you're in Indonesia.

So perhaps an option for you.

Also, with these very high trade-in and second hand prices buying a new car makes a lot of sense.
                  Last edited by jstar; 11-09-12, 14:50.
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Quite hefty prices over there btw:

[COLOR=#0166D2][FONT=Tahoma]Espacio por los cuatro costados[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#9A9A9A][FONT=Arial]11/10/2011 - Primer contacto[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]La gama Nissan crece con la llegada del nuevoEvalia, que supone la versión familiar del comercial NV200 que ya comercializaba la casa nipona. Al igual que el modelo del que proviene, el nuevoEvalia se fabricará en la planta que Nissan posee en Barcelona, de donde también salen modelos como el todoterreno Pathfinder y el pick-up Navara. [/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Con este nuevo vehículo, Nissan pretende introducirse en un segmento que la propia marca japonesa denomina “family car”. Su target principal está formado por familias con hijos o personas jóvenes activas que precisen gran espacio de carga para practicar sus aficiones o deportes favoritos. Si bien el precio de acceso a la gama es de 19.275 euros, el modelo ya ha salido al mercado con unos competitivos precios de lanzamiento de 16.371 euros (motor gasolina) y 17.262 euros (turbodiésel) que se mantendrán, al menos, hasta final de año.
                    Evalia 5 1.6G 110 CV 19.275 euros
                    Evalia 7 1.6G 110 CV 19.806 euros
                    Evalia 5 1.5dCi 110 CV 21.163 euros
                    Evalia 7 1.5dCi 110 CV 21.694 euros[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [FONT=arial black]
                    [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
                      I always look at the new Avanza and think it has been in a crash when viewed from the back.
                      Yes, they have overdone it a bit, there are some weird wrinkles/folding in the bodywork; it is similar to the 'new edge' design style at Ford or the Chris Bangle designs for the previous BMWs.
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

The BMW style did not last long though.
                        [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Ah, I forgot to mention NYC choose the Nissan as taxi. Think London is looking at it as well.

[FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

Comment

That looks cool. Suprised if they use it in London, as there are strict rules about turning circles there. It would be a lot cheaper than the Hackney cab used now though.

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
                              The BMW style did not last long though.
                              Probably Bangle was the most hated man in the auto industry....BMW fans are rather passionate about their brand (like Alfa Romeo).
                              [FONT=arial black]
                              [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X