Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prabowo for president, what's your take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope the community respects the poll and no one gets hurt. They both seem to be good candidates.
    Last edited by Puspawarna; 09-07-14, 23:30. Reason: removed advertising
    SKOOLOFVOC just released in the app store. Produced by 2 teachers, the targeted vocab gets you up and going sooner in Indo.

Comment

• Originally posted by MasterRice View Post
      You Silly, the electon will be held on 9th July.
      it's 9th July 2014 right now..

Comment

• Okay my bad, now shut up.
        Aloft! Me hearties! Harharhar!

Comment

• Originally posted by MasterRice View Post
          Okay my bad, now shut up.
          Has anyone taught you how to be polite? If not, books by the famed author Emily Post might help.

Comment

• Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
            Has anyone taught you how to be polite? If not, books by the famed author Emily Post might help.
            Thanks.

Comment

• [MOD NOTE] - MasterRice you are fairly new here, so may not realize that telling another poster to "shut up" is probably a bit too rude (I recognize you may have meant it in jest, but without tone of voice or emoticons to guide us, it's hard to be sure).

Now pretty please to anyone who might be tempted to snap back, let's show off how polite we can be. Thank you! [/MOD NOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                [MOD NOTE] - MasterRice you are fairly new here, so may not realize that telling another poster to "shut up" is probably a bit too rude (I recognize you may have meant it in jest, but without tone of voice or emoticons to guide us, it's hard to be sure).

Now pretty please to anyone who might be tempted to snap back, let's show off how polite we can be. Thank you! [/MOD NOTE]
                I aware, I'll be more polite in the future, thank you Puspawarna.

Comment

• Originally posted by bara aji View Post
                  it's 9th July 2014 right now..
                  So go and vote - the future of the country is in your hands. remember "all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing"

Comment

• good men might be able to do 'nothing' in a Prabowo regime

Don’t Be Fooled – Prabowo (Still) Wants To Get Rid Of Direct Presidential Elections in Indonesia

BY Marcus Mietzner & Edward Aspinall ON 04 Jul 2014

Comment

• From the article linked above. Sounds ominous is true......................

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]"On 28 June, Prabowo stated in Taman Ismail Marzuki (TIM) that he viewed Indonesia’s political system as being unduly influenced by Western values. For him, direct elections (presumably both at the national and local level) were not in line with Indonesian culture, but had been adopted and perpetuated like a bad habit (he mentioned smoking as an example).[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Thus, he continued, what was needed was a new consensus among Indonesia’s key social and political groups. He left open what this new political consensus should or could look like, but given his trenchant criticism of direct elections, it is fair to assume that Prabowo would try to work towards an alternative system in which top executive leaders are indirectly rather than popularly elected.
                      [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]In fact, Prabowo has in rudimentary form laid out his plans for a radical restructuring of the political landscape many months ago. In the [/FONT][/COLOR]Manifesto Perjuangan Partai Gerindra[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial], or Struggle Manifesto of the Gerindra Party, Prabowo’s party alleges that the amended constitution that been in place since 2002 has been a failure. As a consequence of that failure, Prabowo’s Gerindra proposed to return to the original constitution “as declared on 18 August 1945”. This very brief constitution, written in a hurry in the weeks prior to the declaration of independence, is an autocrat’s dream: it leaves fundamental issues unregulated, allowing presidents to tailor the political system to their tastes and preferences. Thus, it served both Sukarno and Suharto well in creating their respective authoritarian regimes between 1959 and 1998. For instance, as the 1945 constitution does not even require parliament to be elected, Sukarno appointed his own in 1960.
                      [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Most importantly, however, the 1945 constitution stipulates that the president is not directly elected by the people, but by the MPR (People’s Consultative Assembly). In turn, the exact composition of the MPR is left unregulated – a loophole that allowed Suharto to appoint most of the delegates himself. The president was elected for the last time by the MPR in 1999, after which fresh constitutional amendments led to the first direct presidential polls in 2004.
                      [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Against this background, Prabowo’s attack on direct elections at TIM should not (and cannot) be read as a spontaneous and harmless statement in response to a non-political question, as his supporters later claimed. He was also not taken out of context, as Prabowo himself complained. Instead, his TIM statement was simply an explicit statement of what is already implicit in Gerindra’s demand for a return to the original 1945 constitution: annulling all post-1998 amendments would automatically revoke direct elections and return presidential “elections” to the MPR".[/FONT][/COLOR]
                      Last edited by lantern; 09-07-14, 20:25.
                      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• MPR had specific allotments of seats for military and religious leaders, harking back to Sun Yat Sen's system of a republic that represents occupations rather than districts. MPR lost its usefulness when direct elections were instituted, yet somehow foreign media continue to label it as "upper house" as if it has as much utility as House of Lords, or as much respect.

IMO, the problem isn't direct elections (which don't exist in US electoral college system, nor in the Westminster system quoted in the article) but the method of appointing the prez by a group of appointees, which is what Suharto used to get "re-elected" so often that the joke "selection, not election" (pilihan) coined here was exported to other countries.

Power was intentionally concentrated in the president by international fake-liberal NGOs and other foreign "advisers" who pushed for direct elections. The current prez is a kind of Suharto Lite already. Direct election of one guy rather than a smoke-filled room selection of someone like Gus Dur is far more predictable for foreign investors and governments, so it was sold to the masses even though it is a method that appears too advanced even for supposedly mature democracies.

Comment

• All i can say is if Prabowo became president of Indonesia is would be a black day for Indonesian people and a giant leap backwards for the country. Everything from human rights to the economy would suffer and any popular sense of discontentment or disapproval would be crushed by a reinvigorated military machine. How could you believe that a human rights abuser responsible for the disappearance of numerous democracy activists "now all presumed dead" would have the sheer arrogance to stand as a presidential candidate of a fledgling democracy, how could you believe that people in Indonesia could be so ill educated, uniformed or just plain idiotic to vote for him ?? It would be like hiring a paedophile to run a childrens home, even when you knew of his previous convictions.

Comment

• If Prabpwp does or does not become elected, everyone will need to watch out for what could be his new henchmen. The radicals who are backing him and have been accepted by him. It may not be the military you need to fear until he can get those ducks in order to back him.
                            [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

• So I watched the final debate today on Yutoob, Its interesting to know that Jokowi and Jusuf Kalla dominate the atmosphere of debate sessions, while the counter oppinions were saying a monotonous, and irrelevant ones xD I no longer have doubt on this pairings.

Comment

• Good article on the vote count and possible corruption etc http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newman...wos-game-plan/

Comment

Working...
                                X