Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prabowo for president, what's your take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prabowo for president, what's your take?

Not sure if the Jakarta Globe is the best source for this kind of news, but it seems that Prabowo is coming out as favourite for the 2014 elections according to recent polls.

I remember reading once that Atlantis would pack up and leave the country with his family were Prabowo to be elected.

I'm asking you all, what's your take on this? What kind of impact could it have on us expatriates, Indonesia and South East Asian relations?

I think Prabowo appears more popular than he really is. His "popularity" is large a fiction of his very deep pockets.

And I'll tell you this, which is even more important for stability and a successful transition. The last presidential elections were plagued by grave systemic problems that were papered over and swept under the carpet due to SBY's large margin of victory. In 2014 no one candidate will win in the first round, and the second round may be very close. Unless the electoral administration is able to resolve (to use a term and concept from a recent thread) vote tallies within very small margins, the presidential elections will be headed to the constitutional court and to appeals, with the risk of violence and instability that that could entail.
    Last edited by Hombre de Maiz; 03-08-12, 14:16.

Comment

wow, i realy hope he would not be elected as a president. at this moment there are some candidates on the list , but none of them are good enough to be a president IMO.. .. they are all from suharto's era and their behaviour and attitude remain the same.
      i dont think dahlan iskan would strong enough to be a candidate tho he's been rumoured as a honest guy.
      dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

I have to admit he may not be as bad as his late dad-in-law, since he accepts a Chinese to be Jokowi's running mate, but I'm not sure how Indonesia will end up when he makes his way into Istana Negara because he doesn't have a shiny history behind him anyway. And him picking Ahok could be political in nature.

If you're asking how expats will get affected by the presidential shift, I'd say unless Indonesia is ruled by an ultra-nationalist or an ultra-communist, you shouldn't worry much, Indonesia needs your expertise. I can't tell how tough he will be on corruption, since he was part of the old system and since he was more of a military guy rather than an administrator, but on SE relations, Indonesia may arguably show more of its military posture.

Comment

Dalton Tanonaka vs Prabowo Subianto

"The Beauty of Indonesia is located outside Jakarta"

Comment

Originally posted by ricky_id View Post
            .... he accepts a Chinese to be Jokowi's running mate....
            Perhaps not a bigot but he does have a track record on repression and human right violation. And on nepotism of course.
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
              wow, i realy hope he would not be elected as a president. at this moment there are some candidates on the list , but none of them are good enough to be a president IMO.. .. they are all from suharto's era and their behaviour and attitude remain the same.
              i dont think dahlan iskan would strong enough to be a candidate tho he's been rumoured as a honest guy.
              If Dahlan Iskan is running...Indonesia is in trouble. Had dealings with him (well, not personally, but related) about some "new" renewable technologies that should have any high school graduate think twice. But he was ready to buy a whole bunch of this "perpetual motion device"...

Comment

Only if you can read Indonesians or don't mind translating:
                http://www.beritajatim.com/detailnew...k_Dijual_Bebas
                http://www.beritajatim.com/detailnew...n_Dahlan_Iskan

What bothers me is not that the product is a hoax, but how high ranking Indonesians are ready to buy 10,000 of the units and PLN was ready to buy 1,000 units. Not saying it doesn't happen all over the world. But this hoax is...ummm...obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
                  If Dahlan Iskan is running...Indonesia is in trouble. Had dealings with him (well, not personally, but related) about some "new" renewable technologies that should have any high school graduate think twice. But he was ready to buy a whole bunch of this "perpetual motion device"...
                  Dahlan Iskan told a reporter earlier this year that female workers should have 2 years maternity leave....I will not hire anymore female workers. If I can vote, Prabowo may make a good president for Indonesia.

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/PrabowoSubianto?ref=stream

check out his FB account, he put his signature in....any graphologist here to analyze his character?....
                    "The Beauty of Indonesia is located outside Jakarta"

Comment

Here's an anecdote that may or may not tell you something about Prabowo's popularity. We were looking around for land in Badung when we came across some gorgeous real-estate. When we inquired about it, they told us it was not for sale. Prabowo had made a bid for the land, and the community had rebuffed his offer and his presence in their community.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky_id View Post
                        since he was more of a military guy rather than an administrator, but on SE relations, Indonesia may arguably show more of its military posture.
                        soo, he is just like Suharto then..... :l

Comment

I do not trust Prabowo. He will forever be link to the events of 1998. He say he has Chinese Indo supporters, but who are they? Nobody I know!

Comment

Nobody knows what kind of leader he will become, but if his record is any indication, it can't be good. Because he stands with Megawati behind Jokowi and Ahok, he might get support from Chinese Indonesians. This is despite his alleged masterminding of the 98 riot costing Chinese Indonesians in Jakarta their money (and in many cases their lives). Such is Indonesia.

As a military man he is seen by many as the bullwark stopping the tide of hard-line Islam. His affiliation with Megawati's PDI Perjuangan (the default party for non-Muslims) certainly bolsters that image.

Prabowo might win simply because there are deep pockest behind him. Unlike Wiranto his name is constantly plastered everywhere; whoever is marketing his brand has been doing a great job. I even received a FREE newspaper with articles praising him, now how the hell can they do that without tons of money?

One thing for sure, people who spend all that money expect a return on their 'investment', which means he is going to be under enormous pressure to hand out financial concessions and favors to his backers.

Hell would freeze over twice before I vote for Prabowo, so I will not vote for Jokowi and Ahok either due to their affiliation with him. Too bad, otherwise Jokowi would have gotten my support.

My sole consolation is that I'm not gonna be in Indonesia if Prabowo becomes president.

Comment

Originally posted by Injun View Post
                              This is despite his alleged masterminding of the 98 riot costing Chinese Indonesians in Jakarta their money (and in many cases their lives)
                              This was my sentiment entirely when i heard he had the front to stand as president. This name is synonimous with the horrors of the 98 riots. Indonesians seem to have real short memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X