No announcement yet.

Registered Bird Breeder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if I did atlantis I would be the only one in our area who has, so I will give that a miss unless someone asks

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
      Maybe so, but I have never seen any cockatoos behind the wheel.
      Maybe no cockatoos, but plenty of Galah's in Jakarta!

Comment

[SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Calyptorhynchus banksii is not endangered. It has a spurious listing as endangered in Victoria (or the Vic. 'subspecies') (sub species whatever that means). The listing of the Victorian populations then gives it a bogus listing for CITES purposes. That keeps TRAFFIC happy. In reality, the populations are contiguous and mix and cross from Victoria to NSW. (They are certainly capable of flying across the Murray River and don't recognize state boundaries [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] ) However, the Australian population, as a whole and in truth, is not endangered. It is very widespread in distribution, but does have some localized threats from development and clearing of bush and nesting sites. Increasing numbers of Galahs also compete vigorously for available nesting sites. The second, Leadbeaters cockatoo is widely spread, but has never been common. FYI Grahame Webb* put forward a proposal for indigenous Australians to harvest an annual quota of [FONT=Arial]C. banksii [/FONT]eggs for rearing and thence for the export pet trade. They are resumptive breeders and the adults return to the nest and lay a fresh clutch of usually two eggs. win/win. Similarly, wild harvest was being practiced with Moluccan cockatoos, [FONT=Arial]Cacatua moluccensis[/FONT], but was killed off by the Animal Rights Industry and TRAFFIC, using bogus field data. The rice farmers went back to shooting and poisoning the birds. The Webb proposal was similarly killed off. With world human population nearing 7 billion and unlikely to be reined in, there seems little hope of retaining all our species along with all our wild places. Thankfully, some people continue to captive breed species for the future, usually as a poorly paid hobbyist, but sometimes as a better resourced and better paid zoo keeper. A time may come when we have the space and the care to let them be free. Until then...

[ * Dr [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Grahame Webb[/SIZE][/FONT], Wildlife Management International. Berrimah, Northern Territory, Australia ][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
        Last edited by John Allen; 07-10-11, 14:04.

Comment

thanks Kim dan Mika

Originally posted by kim& mika View Post
          A quick search of the web at least came up with one contact http://www.avianbiotech.com/Breeders...er.asp?ID=6821

Good luck
          300 million Indonesian people and only 2 registered Indon breeders on that web site. Dang!

Comment

BTW you can legally buy and import Australian wildlife that has been bred in New Zealand or the USA, Europe etc. I suspect Singapore also has aviary-bred supplies. These birds, due to CITES constraints, are normally microchipped. So that they can be tracked in transit and their paperwork traced back to the original breeder... Auckland, San Diego or Brussels dll.

Comment

Hi gays i have a gray parrot, i loved that, its talking, i train it,
              i should upload my parrot pictures on this thread,
              darcy Cool

Comment

Just want to let you know that there is no reputable and well regulated parrots breeder with a proper license here. Most birds are wild caught and sold as pets. The bird's population is highly threatened due to poaching. Many parrots species are actually protected by law in Indonesia, there is a jail sentence and fine too, that is if the police decide to take an action. But before you rush to buy parrots, be warned that parrots are very nervous animals and easily stressed. If well looked after in captivity, it could live up to 80 years. They can bond with the owner - but can you provide that security for the bird as long as you live? It is a 3 generations pet! The tamed parrots are also demanding pets, if you dont give them a lot of attention they get stressed and feel unloved and could easily self mutilate, plucking or chewing their own feathers. I would say the best is to let them free in the wild. Buying cockatoo or other parrots promotes more poaching. A link here to show you the problem with the parrots in Indonesia http://www.profauna.org/content/en/p...n_parrots.html

Comment

Try www.birdstown.com for getting in touch with other breeders to sell and buy your birds and much more. Sign up on birdstown for free.

Comment

Working...
                  X