Impossible to Repatriate my dogs to UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phiss View Post
    I have just tried to upload a picture of the dogs but it was rejected because it was too large. I am hopeless at that sort of thing! Will try again later.
    OMG...first I had to tell you how to weigh your dog and now to advise how to take a picture of it. Didn't your mother teach you anything....

If your dog is too big to take a picture...you get a bigger camera...

Comment

Hi Everyone. It's me again. You must be getting a little sick of me by now.... As I have just been able to sell off some books, I decided to try out the donating function on the Gofundme site. As I suspected, and others have told me, it is not possible to donate using an Indonesian debit card (although on the site it does say 'credit or debit card'). I have no idea if credit cards work because I do not have one.

So back to Plan A. I will ask the person managing the page to credit my 'donation' as an off-line contribution. You may think I am a little crazy donating to my own fund, but by doing this people can clear see how much money has been collected... including my own contributions. This will give 'clear accounting'.

I have just tried to upload a picture of the dogs but it was rejected because it was too large. I am hopeless at that sort of thing! Will try again later.
      Some of these sites charge a percentage of the donations raised. So, by sending direct to you, you may end up with more.
      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Davita View Post
        OMG...first I had to tell you how to weigh your dog and now to advise how to take a picture of it. Didn't your mother teach you anything....

If your dog is too big to take a picture...you get a bigger camera...
        I know, I know... I am an idiot! But I am only a girl... I don't understand these things! But I have to take you up on one point.... Even I know that if you have a big dog and you want a small photo, you have to find a very small camera!! I am going to the 'spy shop' on Monday to see what they have got!!

PS: Just love Davita... without a touch of humour life would be unbearable!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
          Some of these sites charge a percentage of the donations raised. So, by sending direct to you, you may end up with more.
          You are quite right Jaime. In fact every site I have seen charges a minimum of 5%. This is understandable because these sites do not run themselves, and they have to cover administrative cost, and also make some money for themselves. They are not registered charities. However, as most donations to registered charities (up to 90% of what you donate in some cases) get eaten up by admin costs, I think there is no comparison.

My friend chose 'gofundme' because it has one of the best reputations in the field and everything is above board. Some other sites take 5%+ from the donor when a donation is received, and then take an additional 5% when donations are withdrawn. They also impose penalties if the target figure is not reached. Gofundme does not do this. Whatever you donate is credited in full to the fund, then 5% is deducted when the recipient withdraws funds. There is no penalty for not reaching the goal figure, either... Another trick that some sites stoop to.

As to your second point, yes it is true that I would avoid the 5% charge if people donated directly to my bank account. However, I think, quite understandably, that people will be reluctant to donate directly to a personal bank account of someone they do not know. They have no way of knowing if this is a scam or not! I promise you that it is not, but for most people the phrase 'better safe than sorry' springs to mind. At least with gofundme everything is very transparent. And you can even report any fundraising page that you think is a fraud.

Thanks for raising these points Jaime. I hope it has allayed any fears that people have re donating.

Comment

Phiss, would you consider flying out of Singapore? Silk air should be more willing to accommodate a pet for Medan - Changi leg, and you have more choices of airlines flying out of Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by asunnusa View Post
              Phiss, would you consider flying out of Singapore? Silk air should be more willing to accommodate a pet for Medan - Changi leg, and you have more choices of airlines flying out of Singapore.
              Hi Asunnusa. thanks for the suggestion but Silkair does not accept pets except for service animals. I have already decided that the best thing to do is Lionair from Medan to Jakarta then KLM from Jakarta to France. After that hopefully someone can pick me up from the airport in France and drive through the Channel tunnel. It all still has to be paid for, but it seems to be the most economical way of doing things.

The dogs have had their blood tests done and the results have just come through from the UK lab. Both dogs have past the blood titer test showing they are safe from rabies. The microchips were injected before that, but as nobody had a scanner, I wasn't able to check to see if they are readable. My friend in Australia managed to get a cheap(er) scanner and it is supposed to be winging its way to me at the moment. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't get lost in the post! This is the main thing that is worrying me at the moment, as if the microchips cannot be read, the whole process of microchip, blood test and waiting time has to be repeated all over again at additional cost. Also, I am running out of time as I cannot remain in Indonesia beyond the end of July.

Anyway, trusting that all that goes okay, I then just have to keep trying to get enough money together for the final stages. Again, keep your fingers crossed for me and the dogs.

Comment

[SIZE=4][SIZE=5]​[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Well, I finally managed to post a picture.... sorry it is so big!

Comment

It's very nice phiss, hope you have success in getting them back to the UK

Comment

Awwww they are so, so gorgeous, Phiss
                      Cicak Magnet

Comment

Do you see why I don't want to leave them behind? They both look at me with those puppy dog eyes and my heart just melts!

Comment

Do you see why I don't want to leave them behind? They both look at me with those puppy dog eyes and my heart just melts!
                          You big softy, know what you mean.
                          Last edited by Anglian; 26-05-16, 14:04.

Comment

How is this going?  I enquire with interest as I plan on moving my kucing kampung back to the UK in 2018.  Nightmare trying to find the microchip in Semarang so far though.  Going home for a visit in October, going to quiz the vet and attempt to acquire a microchip to bring back with me.  I hope things are working out.

Comment

Originally posted by Felixzipp View Post
                              just go back to UK,and find another dog right there,,you bring a dog from this poor country??believe me that is bad idea,, #hateindonesia
                              I'm not a gynecologist or anything but ..................

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post

I'm not a gynecologist or anything but ..................
                                Or a proctologist, I am guessing.........

Comment

Working...
                                X